Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miserable Ryanair strike again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Don't you just hate them:D

No.

They can get me to London from Dublin cheaper than i can get a taxi from Dublin City Centre to Dublin airport.

Play by their rules, and you've a serious asset to the travel industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Extremely well run business and congrats to the cabin crew on their pay rise. Irish people should be proud of Ryanair.

On an another note, how is that a news article? Three sentences and that's it? Somebody got paid for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Thats right folks Ryanair the airline everyone loves to fly with but yet everyone loves to abuse is at it again, this time its their staff that are on the recieving end!
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/ryanair-cabin-crew-to-get-10-pay-rise-589308.html

Well, should I ever have the misfortune to be on a ryanair flight ever again I'll be sure to soothe myself with the knowledge that their staff got a pay rise to continue being unhelpful shits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

I like the hot eastern european cabin girls

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Nobody forces anyone to fly with them it's an open market. Always avoid using them where I can and therefore I can safely never had an issue with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Good for the crew, because I believe they're currently paid buttons. I'm sure they've more than earned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I dont know why they get so much abuse.

It's like getting a bus. If you play by the rules and do things as they say then you get from A to B very cheaply.

I've flown short haul with Aer Lingus in recent years as well, only discernible difference in the experience was the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Good for the crew, because I believe they're currently paid buttons. I'm sure they've more than earned it.

Funnily enough, they're not, they are quite well paid actually.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Fly with them monthly have never had an issue or a charge outsided of what I expected. The do the job for me for a certain type of flight. Fair play to their crew on their pay rise.

Not to many people out there gettting extra in their pay packet right now so it shows the airline is doing something right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

SamHall wrote: »
    No.

They can get me to London from Dublin cheaper than i can get a taxi from Dublin City Centre to Dublin airport.

Play by their rules, and you've a serious asset to the travel industry.

Agree 100%. I flew from Dublin to Brussels for 42 euros round trip, all taxes and fees included. The two taxis to and from the airport cost me 47 euros.

And fair play to the staff for getting a pay raise. They get dogs abuse from the public for enforcing rules and regulations that (a) are not of their making (b) are publicized well in advance and (c) with a modicum of thought and planning, are perfectly easy to abide by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

If you were ever stupid enough to get charged one of ryanairs massive fees for not following the rules, its your own fault.

All I've ever gotten from the company was cheap and on time flights.

And for the "unhelpful staff" that people complain about.. what, because they don't put on a really fake smile and keep asking you "are you ok sir?"

I don't get the ryanair bashers at all :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Thats right folks Ryanair the airline everyone loves to fly with but yet everyone loves to abuse is at it again, this time its their staff that are on the recieving end!
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/ryanair-cabin-crew-to-get-10-pay-rise-589308.html

no, I love them. Only for them an awful lot of Irish people would be suffering from depression at not being able to go on holiday once a year to get some needed Vitamin D.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Best Airline I've used recently is Norwegian Airlines to Denamrk. Were cheap and flexible with the old hand luggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

People who hate on Ryanair make me laugh, go back to paying 250 quid to fly to London so like it was years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

sfwcork wrote: »
    I like the hot eastern european cabin girls

It's always a pleasure to purchase individual sheets of bog roll of Miss Lithuania 1986.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you were ever stupid enough to get charged one of ryanairs massive fees for not following the rules, its your own fault.

And for the "unhelpful staff" that people complain about.. what, because they don't put on a really fake smile and keep asking you "are you ok sir?"

A "free" coke while you're in the air is worth paying an extra €100 for a ticket if you ask me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Fair play. Not too many companies will be offering a 10% pay rise to it's staff.

Flew with Aer Lingus for the first time in ages last year, and let me tell you, there wasn't much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Baldandold

Never had a problem with Ryan air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Someone may correct me on this but as a large percentage of workers are actually contractors and not Ryanair employees I don't think most will be getting any pay rise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    Someone may correct me on this but as a large percentage of workers are actually contractors and not Ryanair employees I don't think most will be getting any pay rise.

All of their flight and cabin crew are provided by an agency called Brookfield Aviation, they would still get the pay rise..
    All cabin crew and pilots in some bases gets the new allowances and pay increases.

Here's an Independent article

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

Without ryanair i wouldnt have had half the trips/holidays over the past decade, flying over next week to london for the munster heineken cup game for €65 return. My mate is paying €190 with aer lingus to fly the same day, i dont care what anyone tells me ..... its not worth that sort of price difference for a flight that wont even take an hour. More power to ryanair, i hope they start flying to the states soon. That would shake things up nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Every time I hear that f-cking trumpet jingle on their flights I want to kill myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

In before the I don't care if they use Rohypnol and cattle-prods on their employees as long as I can fly to London for 20 quid even if I can only bring one pair of underpants and a t-shirt with me and in 20 years time I will be moaning all over the net when I'm trying to fly with a family and getting righteously screwed over on my baggage by the low cost flying model that I so breathlessly cheer-leaded for in my twenties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Every time I hear that f-cking trumpet jingle on their flights I want to kill myself.

You've obviously overcome the urge yet again.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

krudler wrote: »
    People who hate on Ryanair make me laugh, go back to paying 250 quid to fly to London so like it was years ago.

I never paid 250 quid to fly to London from Dublin and I've been doing it since the early 1980s. Don't believe all the bull****.

My daughter had to pay way over 200 quid a while back for the same trip with Ryanair. Partly her own fault. But what a stinging fee to hit people with for a simple misunderstanding.

I choose NOT to fly with them wherever possible. (putting my money where my mouth is). And in keeping with the spirit of the poster who pointed out that it's an open market and we have the choice to use them or not.

Long may it remain so. In other words: keep O'Leary's greasy hands off Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

They managed to get a pay rise due to collective organising and bargaining, not because Ryanair are nice people. Ryanair has consistantly attempted to prevent the people that work for them engaging in legitimate trade union activity and at one stage even fired people for disseminating leaflets. They embody everything that is wrong with corporate greed.

The fact they sell cheap flights is immaterial; Chiquita sell cheap bananas but it doesn't justify the fact they treat their staff abysmally. It always bemuses me when people fawn over multinational companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Extremely well run business and congrats to the cabin crew on their pay rise. Irish people should be proud of Ryanair.

On an another note, how is that a news article? Three sentences and that's it? Somebody got paid for that.

Their web hosters run a Ryanair business model. Each letter costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I never paid 250 quid to fly to London from Dublin and I've been doing it since the early 1980s. Don't believe all the bull****.

My daughter had to pay way over 200 quid a while back for the same trip with Ryanair. Partly her own fault. But what a stinging fee to hit people with for a simple misunderstanding.

I choose NOT to fly with them wherever possible. (putting my money where my mouth is). And in keeping with the spirit of the poster who pointed out that it's an open market and we have the choice to use them or not.

Long may it remain so. In other words: keep O'Leary's greasy hands off Aer Lingus.
    Take inflation and the price of the punt into account, and by todays standard you would have easily paid €200 to fly to london. OK, maybe you didn't personally, but it was standard enough back then.
    I remember trying to book a flight in 1997 to london. First of all, I had to ring about 10 travel agents. Cheapest flight was about £150. Bus was £45. That's easily €200 now.
    And your daughter had to pay €200 a while back, presumably because she was booking late or there was something on. Well, in the late 90's my mate had to fly to london when an Ireland 6 nations match was on. Ticket cost £350. So the practice of rip of flights wasn't something invented by ryanair.
    Now, here's something that I'd bet my house on: I flew to yorkshire for €20, flew to Barcelona for €55 (including all taxes and charges), not a hope you would have got that back in the 80's or 90's. Maybe if you went on standby and didn't mind what city you went to. But make no mistake, flying now is a fraction of the price is was in the 80's and 90's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Ryanair is the Lidl of the aviation world. You don't get a hello or goodbye, you do your own heavy lifting, pay, and leave. Other shops have a nicer experience, but the price is the bottom line for almost everyone. O' Leary doesnt claim it to be any other way. This is what is required to get you the cheapest price. I personally would not have gotten anywhere in Europe over the past few years without Ryanair, so I'll happily dance to his tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Are you Aer Lingus cabin crew? All the shamrock is, is Ryanair light at this stage, had a crew member from Aer Lingus tell me to shove it and fly Swiss if they were so much better. I have had return flights every week since Dec with Swiss/Luft and I will not be returning to Aer Lingus. Mr O'Leary would do a great job of showing Aer Lingus staff the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Ryanair is grand other than their planes. If you're over 6 foot you're going to have an uncomfortable few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Flying from BVA to DUB last year, I prepaid to check in our bags. My son had a penny skate board, he wanted to carry it on. I asked the girl at the check-in desk if we could carry it on or if I should add put it inside one of the suitcases we were checking in. She says no problem to carry it on. Get to the gate and there they say I needed to check it in. I asked them to check with the check-in girl and she confirmed it but now I had to pay 60 euros. Any other place would have said, our skrew up, no need to pay. But not Ryan Air.

• Funnily enough, they're not, they are quite well paid actually.:)

I thought Ryanair cabin crew earned about 1200 euros a month. Hardly well paid, especially given the hours and shifts they have to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why is it always people with kids or the old fogies who hate Ryanair? Please tell us this simple misunderstanding then...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Yeah, obviously they're not about comfort. But can you fly to somewhere for 20 quid with any other airline? My ass.

You know what you're getting with Ryanair. They're the Ronseal of the skies; does exactly what it says on the tin. They don't pretend to be anything other than a low-fares, no-frills airline.

They are the best thing for the aviation industry in Europe; they will drive fares down and make the overcharging airlines go down.

They are one of the few companies that is expanding constantly and it is due to the fact that they are well run and that they use the old adage of "There is no such thing as bad publicity" to their full advantage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

Going Dublin to Berlin (roundtrip) at the start of June for 3 days ...

Aer Lingus : €299
    Ryanair : €149

no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

err, it's Ryanair. That means the 10% pay rise comes with strings attached. Theres always strings. Probably a compulsory donation of 12% of their salary to the Ryanair benevolent fund for buying Boeings. Or 40% longer working hours. Theres always strings, you know theres strings here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Funnily enough, they're not, they are quite well paid actually.:)

Like the guards.

• Advertisement

It's not bull$hit. My father worked at Dublin Airport for 30 odd years. He worked for the old Aer Rianta semi state body, the fore runner to todays Dublin Airport Authority. My dad got heavily discounted tickets on Aer Lingus, not the mega cheapo fare that Aer Lingus staff got, but pretty damm sweet deals all the same. A lot of people in our housing estate were airport workers too and would have gotten deeply discounted staff travel too.

Even with those discounts of up to 50% off, my dad still couldn't take a family of 6 away for regular holidays. The fares on Aer Lingus back then were so INSANELY expensive, none but the richest people in the country could afford them on a regular basis. We certainly couldn't, and nor could our neighbours.

Contrast that to the ease and cheapness that Ryanair offer to travelers today, and it is night and day imo. Back in the pre Ryanair days, coughing up the crazy money that Aer Lingus wanted for fares may have been doable for a single person with a decent job or no ties and commitments. It certainly wasn't for someone with a mortgage and kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Agree 100%. I flew from Dublin to Brussels for 42 euros round trip...The two taxis to and from the airport cost me 47 euros.

Do you mean Charleroi PD?

If so, those Taxi fares seem lower than I would have expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

so your not happy your flights are on time? i couldnt give a f*ck what they play as long as i get to my destination cheaply, on time and safely and ryanair tick those 3 boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

and don't forget it's also pretty much the safest airline in the world.
    Given the passenger km it does these days that is also incredibly impressive that they have never had a fatality or crash (some minor incidents aside)

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Do you mean Charleroi PD?

If so, those Taxi fares seem lower than I would have expected.

Yep, Charleroi. Flights alone were 35.99 @17.99 euros each way. Fees and what not bumped it up to 42/44 euros or thereabouts.

The taxi fares I referred to were from/to Sutton in Dublin to/from Dublin Airport. I didn't get a taxi to/from Charleroi Airport to Brussels Central. I tookthe airport shuttle bus. That cost 20 quid, or thereabouts. I wasn't all that bothered about paying it to be honest. The fare to fly into the main Brussels airport on Aer Lingus was over 120 euros more and I still would have had to have paid something similar to get from Brussels International to Brussels Central.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Cienciano wrote: »
    Take inflation and the price of the punt into account, and by todays standard you would have easily paid €200 to fly to london.

You COULD but you didn't have to. That was my point.

And you CAN pay €200 plus nowadays. Even with Ryanair. Yes, it can be partly your own fault if you do something silly like forget to check in more than four hours before departing (which accounted for the first €100 my daughter had to shell out that time) but my point is I don't like doing business with people who seem deliberately to try to catch you out.

Which is currently my choice.
    Cienciano wrote: »
    I flew to yorkshire for €20, flew to Barcelona for €55 (including all taxes and charges), not a hope you would have got that back in the 80's or 90's. Maybe if you went on standby and didn't mind what city you went to. But make no mistake, flying now is a fraction of the price is was in the 80's and 90's.

So are many things. Like telephone calls. Computers. Mobile phones. Remember when they cost about a grand? There are perfectly valid reasons for all this, largely based on the commoditisation of maturing technology. Which is the principal reason for reduced air travel. Cheaper radar, improved communications, maturing aircraft technology. The ability to control more air traffic to more out of the way places. It is the natural order of things that technologically advanced services become cheaper over time. And more available.

It's no reason to put up with Ryanair's boorishness. So I don't. Wherever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

Ive always found ryanair staff to be just as friendly as any other airline to be honest, i think some people expect a standing ovation when they board a plane! If you are paying a pittance for a flight, you cant expect business class luxury.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I love ryanair. Book in advance, I can get my annual trips to Liverpool for less than £30 both ways. For that price I will accept sitting in a cramped seat for 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    All of their flight and cabin crew are provided by an agency called Brookfield Aviation, they would still get the pay rise..
    All cabin crew and pilots in some bases gets the new allowances and pay increases.

Here's an Independent article

There are two points in the article which jump out at me....
    There are over 2,400 pilots working for the airline and 5,200 flight attendants.

7,600 front-line staff.....?

That is one impressive statistic for an airline operating a fleet of Irish Registered aircraft.

Perhaps somebody knowledgable could advise as to what the registration and allied charges are in Ireland for a Boeing 737-800 ?

The second,and potentially more concerning point is....
    Productivity-based incentive payments accounted for about 47pc of an average flight attendant's total earnings at Ryanair last year and 37pc of the typical pilot's compensation.

We,as passengers,know all about the Cabin Crews incentive led flogging of various promotional stuff,however I have never found it overly intrusive and have never been hounded in the manner of a Sky TV subscription campaign.

What does concern me as a Ryanair customer is that level of incentivization on a Pilots "compensation".

I believe 37%,if accurate,is an excessive level of dependence on performance related incentive payments,given the highly unique nature of the Flight Crew's function.

I am aware that much of this is in the area of Fuel usage and turnaround times,but I would be more comfortable with knowing that a Flight Crew on my Ryanair flight were fully focused on that flight alone,rather than any possible means of maintaining or improving their "Incentive" payments.

But,it's not my Airline,and those staff numbers tell a somewhat different story to the accepted Ryanair=North KoreanAir comparisons being constantly flogged to death by certain media outlets.

If I were to be retained as a Consultant by Micheal O Leary,I'd suggest that he keeps an eye on those "Busdrivers" of his,as they literally keep his operation in the air !!! ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The only airline Ive ever managed a return trip to Liverpool for €2 (including taxes and charges) before the gubberment had to stick in it's leaving the country tax.

• Advertisement
Advertisement