Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studio spaces for full-time rental in Dublin city centre?

Options
  • 28-03-2013 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, I am a professional photographer looking to rent a studio full time in Dublin city centre from around May onwards but I am struggling to find the right kind of space, so thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone had any helpful advice or suggestions!

The prospective space will be used as a portrait studio and also hopefully have room for a small office. Ideally it'd be fairly large and open with lots of natural light.

I see a lot of ads for artist's studios for very reasonable prices but they seem to be designated for creative artists rather than commercial photographers and I guess they're probably subsidised. This led me to wondering how easy or hard it is in Dublin to repurpose a retail space for photographic use? I'm sure I've read something about all kinds of awkward regulations about the use of buildings being one of the reasons so many properties are lying empty, but I'm not sure how photography fits into this.

The top end of my budget would be around €500-600 per month. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Not exactly what you're looking for but could apply for this
    ARTIST SPACES – UNITS 3 & 4

Dublin City Council wishes to invite applications for the use of Units 3 & 4, former retail units in James Joyce Street, Dublin 1. The units are available subject to application and are for artistic, cultural and creative use. While all applications will be considered, priority will be given to those proposals that most closely match the city’s arts and cultural strategies. The units will be let under a rental agreement at a nominal rate of €300 per calendar month (or part thereof). Please click here to download Units 3 & 4 Application Form.

Deadline for receipt of applications for ALL schemes is 17.00hrs on Tuesday 16th April 2013.

Applications can be sent:

1. In hardcopy format

OR

2. Via dropbox to the arts office e-mail: artsoffice@dublincity.ie

Application forms, guidelines and criteria are available for download above or by contacting: The Arts Office, Dublin City Council, The LAB, Foley Street, Dublin 1, Tel: 01-222 5455 or e-mail Victoria.kearney@dublincity.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 20 .H.

Thanks for that; I've been finding quite a few similar things like that to be honest, but have a feeling they're going to be prioritising 'arty artists' over commercial photographers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Maybe try Block T in Smithfield. They have a new modern building around from where the older one is situated. Mella Travers is based there so might be worth asking her about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 .H.

Thanks Effects, I've e-mailed them! Though I'm thinking more and more than an empty retail unit might actually work out well space- and budget-wise. There are loads of them around the city centre, for example out towards the Point. Not great locations for shops, but nice and accessible for photographic clients!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You can usually bargain them down a lot too. I had some friends set up a shop a couple of years ago who offered half the asking price of a shop lease as a starting price and got a nice surprise when it was accepted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement