Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant suggestion

Options
  • 28-03-2013 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Dublin calling :)

I want to get a friend of mine a dinner voucher for somewhere in Galway city.
    I know Aniar is Michelen star, but is there similar than this or should i simply go with Aniar.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Slattsy wrote: »
    Hey,
    Dublin calling :)

I want to get a friend of mine a dinner voucher for somewhere in Galway city.
    I know Aniar is Michelen star, but is there similar than this or should i simply go with Aniar.

Thanks.

I would love you forever if you got me an Aniar voucher if that give you any indication?

If they have never eaten in Aniar it is an absolute no brainier, if they have a good few times maybe someone else has other suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I just checked the sample menu on the site there to see myself what it was like, and its a pretty awful menu. I wouldnt send a friend there with a menu like that.

What else is in Galway for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I just checked the sample menu on the site there to see myself what it was like, and its a pretty awful menu. I wouldnt send a friend there with a menu like that.

Supermacs, maybe McDonalds as you have such a discerning palate.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Are you sure you looked at the correct menu? What is so "awful" about it?

Maybe give us a more comprehensive idea of what type of restaurant you are looking for so we may help you further.

Supermacs, maybe McDonalds as you have such a discerning palate.

:rolleyes: Its just a poor menu, dont be getting up on your high horse because the top restuarant in Galway has (just in my opinion) an awful looking menu.

Starter options :

Scallops
    Pickles
    Duck hearts

Scallops aside, its hardly the most appealing.
    But im sure many find it quite appealing :)

• Advertisement

Osborne wrote: »
    Are you sure you looked at the correct menu? What is so "awful" about it?

Maybe give us a more comprehensive idea of what type of restaurant you are looking for so we may help you further.

I would love to send them (couple late 40s) to a top restaurant if possible.
    Certainly not asian. Is there many French (bistro) places around?

I check every menu before i book a restaurant here, so i'll do the same for them before buying a voucher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

I would love to send them (couple late 40s) to a top restaurant if possible.
    Certainly not asian.

I check every menu before i book a restaurant here, so i'll do the same for them before buying a voucher :)

I like Artisan personally. Check out their menu here:

http://www.artisangalway.com/menus/a-la-carte

You can see the G's menu here:

http://www.theghotel.ie/upload/pdfs/Restaurant%20gigi's%20a%20la%20carte%20menu.pdf

Osborne wrote: »
    I like Artisan personally. Check out their menu here:

http://www.artisangalway.com/menus/a-la-carte

Now thats how a menu should look, with several dishes jumping out immediately, makes the mouth water. Very appealing.

Decor looks a class above Aniar too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I would not get a voucher. How do you know they'll be in business in a few months time?

snubbleste wrote: »
    I would not get a voucher. How do you know they'll be in business in a few months time?

I guess i'll just have to take that chance and tell them to go asap in order to avoid any possible risk of the restuarant closing in the near future :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Aniar is head and shoulders, knees and toes above artisan.

The menu is a sample. Their food is excellent. Artisan's worse on atmosphere and room, service also.
    Not that artisan is bad. But Aniar is at a much higher level.

Aniar is head and shoulders, knees and toes above artisan.

The menu is a sample. Their food is excellent. Artisan's worse on atmosphere and room, service also.
    Not that artisan is bad. But Aniar is at a much higher level.

I realise its a sample, but how often is it updated? Sample menu's are pointless if what you see on the website is completely different to what you're given upon arrival.

We're coming into spring now, the menu should change with the seasons and if their menu isnt updated online, regularly, then its bad management. (although with a MS they're doing fine ha) But thats another arguement.

I'd love to send then to Aniar, the reviews are great, but that current sample menu is as bad as i've seen.

I think i might just send them to The G. I've stayed there before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Asian Tea house is really nice but I guess it's down to what food you like.
    I like Creole too , but haven't been there in a while....

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kittywake

Can't go wrong with Kirwan's Lane or Oscar's. Check out their menus. Really good food and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ard Bia?
    http://ardbia.com/restaurant/

Or Rouge?

http://rougegalway.com/

Have had great meals at both of these, the former is definitely more expensive though. What is great about these is that they both sell 'stuff' too (Rouge - Wine, and Ard Bia - chutneys, cakes etc.) a voucher could maybe cover a meal or anything else if they preferred that. Do ask though when buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

:rolleyes: Its just a poor menu, dont be getting up on your high horse because the top restuarant in Galway has (just in my opinion) an awful looking menu.

Starter options :

Scallops
    Pickles
    Duck hearts

Scallops aside, its hardly the most appealing.
    But im sure many find it quite appealing :)

Duck hearts are absolutely gorgeous and very appealing in my opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Just because somewhere is Michelin star doesn't mean you'll like it, it just means the food is a high quality. To think otherwise is pretty naive. There is literally nothing on the Anair sample menu I would enjoy and I have a fairly varied appetite.

Then again I know a lot of people who enjoy just saying they dined there, so it has some merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just get your friend a voucher for "a meal in a Galway restaurant of your choice" and let them decide for themselves where they want to go?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I realise its a sample, but how often is it updated? Sample menu's are pointless if what you see on the website is completely different to what you're given upon arrival.

We're coming into spring now, the menu should change with the seasons and if their menu isnt updated online, regularly, then its bad management. (although with a MS they're doing fine ha) But thats another arguement.

I'd love to send then to Aniar, the reviews are great, but that current sample menu is as bad as i've seen.

I think i might just send them to The G. I've stayed there before :)

The menu in Anair, like every really good restaurant, changes daily depending on what the head chef can get from his suppliers that day.

Seaneh wrote: »
    The menu in Anair, like every really good restaurant, changes daily depending on what the head chef can get from his suppliers that day.

Daily? You think menu's change daily? lol
    Get a grip man. An item could change daily, but not a menu.

Anyway, got some good suggestions here folks, thanks.

(Anair will not be one of them)

• Advertisement

Chef with several years experience in the industry, have worked in a kitchens that change their menu daily.

A top end restaurant will change their menu daily because they will be able to get different meat, fish or veg on different days. Some items will stay for ages, some will be a one off, it's called cooking the best produce available to you on the day and not being laazy and rigid.

A really good restaurant won't have a menu that lads 4 months at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Slattsy, this is from Anair's webpage:
    "The menu in Aniar changes daily but the sample below will give diners an indication towards the style and content of the food on offer."

Another tip is Kai, also daily menu changes:
    "All menus change on a daily basis dependent on what is fresh and in stock from local suppliers"

More about Kai
    The food was among the best, and certainly the most memorable of a trip that also included a visit to the Michelin-starred Cliff House in Waterford and similarly starred establishments in Dublin.
    The Reconnoisseur, Financial Times

Kiwi chef Jess Murphy’s Kai has upped the game for casual eating in Galway with her ingenious cooking.
    Catherine Cleary, Irish Times

I can tell you that not only did I get very good service, so did everyone else that I could see. It was the kind of service that makes Irish hospitality what it is - not just efficient, but also smiley and friendly.
    Paolo Tullio, Irish Independent

Anyway,, I hope your friend enjoys their dinner and stay in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Greenview

try Kirby's - ate there last week, excellent food, attention & value.

http://www.buskerbrownes.com/ (Kirby's are part of this group)
    3 course = €25 (includes a drink in Busker's)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Can't believe I forgot Kai !!!
    forget everything else. Kai is number one in Galway for food and variety (Probably value too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Can't believe I forgot Kai !!!
    forget everything else. Kai is number one in Galway for food and variety (Probably value too).

Number one for you maybe - as has been said before on here, Kai is hit and miss. I would put Oscars, Rouge, Vina Mara, Kirwans ahead of Kai.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Number one for you maybe - as has been said before on here, Kai is hit and miss. I would put Oscars, Rouge, Vina Mara, Kirwans ahead of Kai.

I think that's tosh.

Kai is far from "Hit and miss".

I've never had a bad meal in Kai and I've eaten there every atleast other month since they've opened.

On the other hand I have had bad meals in vina mara and "meh" meals in kirwan's.

As for rouge, it's good value for money but it's not on the same level as Kai, Anair, Oscars, O'Grady's, etc.

In my experience Kai is over-rated and over-priced.
    It's an example of how not to do a minimalist menu tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Seaneh wrote: »
    I think that's tosh.

Kai is far from "Hit and miss".

I've never had a bad meal in Kai and I've eaten there every atleast other month since they've opened.

On the other hand I have had bad meals in vina mara and "meh" meals in kirwan's.

As for rouge, it's good value for money but it's not on the same level as Kai, Anair, Oscars, O'Grady's, etc.

You are always pushing Kai. You must have shares there. I have had nice meals in Kai but I have also had very poor meals there. I have never had a very poor meal in any of the 4 restaurants I mentioned.
    And it is certainly over-priced (especially when the meal is poor).

PS. You should get an automatic ban for using the word "tosh"

In my experience Kai is over-rated and over-priced.
    It's an example of how not to do a minimalist menu tbh.

Over priced compared to where?

Compared to restaurants just across the bridge the price is about the same and the quality of food and standard of cooking is much higher
    Their lunch menu is extremely good value. If you think they are over priced when they are using 3-4 weeks dry aged beef from places like Castlemaine Farm and Brady's and chicken from The Friendly Farmer and selling them at the prices they are, you don't really appreciate the costs involved in producing the dishes they do.

There is a reason that the restaurants in Galway who get the most national media coverage and critical acclaim are the likes of Kai and Anair, they are producing the best and more interesting food. There are a lot of damned good restaurants in Galway and around it. The likes of Oscars, O'Grady's, Artisan, Ard Bia and a few others are exceptional. But Kai and Anair are, without doubt, the benchmark for good food not just in Galway, but in the west of Ireland. Jess and Enda are the two best chefs in Ireland west of the Shannon.

As for Minimalist, what?
    They have a small menu, but it's far from minimalist...

• Advertisement

Over priced compared to better restaurants with more consistent quality.

Anywhere that has a steak for 25 euro + should be using good quality beef.

Their presentation is slapdash and finishing has no finesse any time I've ever eaten there. Not bad, just over-priced.

It over-charges for food that's too plain.

I think it's always mentioned in the Galway forum and usually this discussion takes place. Some people love it and some don't understand why.

If it's hit and miss, fair enough, they've only ever missed when I was there.

Advertisement