Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant suggestion

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I'm sure kai was great when it opened and they were trying to get good reviews, but anytime I've eaten there it's been very so-so. I mean I love what castlemaine farm is trying to do with it's direct to consumer sales thing, but they really haven't perfected their craft in the way other beef suppliers in the region have, that and they charge quite a bit more, which is rich considering there is no middle man.

Also, the description of the dish that was provided by the waitress was so pretentious it resembled a scene right out of portlandia.

If Aniar doesn't suit (best restaurant I've ever eaten in on this Island btw), then I'd vote Oscars, very consistent and number one on trip advisor for very good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

biko wrote: »
    Just get your friend a voucher for "a meal in a Galway restaurant of your choice"
    Otherwise known as a €50 note.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 biscuits4abear

Try The Malt House http://www.themalthouse.ie/15-2/

or Blakes Brasserie http://brasseriegalway.com/menu_categories/evening-menu/

They are a little bit more 'special occasion'

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I ate in Aniar recently and was really delighted with it. Probably the best fine dining experience I've had in quite a while. The decor is nice too, more relaxed than your usual stiff Michelin locations. Couldn't praise it highly enough.

Yes, the menu descriptions are simplistic, but the flavours were incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 biscuits4abear

dudara wrote: »
    I ate in Aniar recently and was really delighted with it. Probably the best fine dining experience I've had in quite a while. The decor is nice too, more relaxed than your usual stiff Michelin locations. Couldn't praise it highly enough.

Yes, the menu descriptions are simplistic, but the flavours were incredible.
    They have a new head chef, Enda finished on Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Went to High Cafe at weekend for first time and had an excellent meal. It is a real gem of a restaurant and I cant wait to try the rest of their menu. I only heard about it on Boards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Went to High Cafe at weekend for first time and had an excellent meal. It is a real gem of a restaurant and I cant wait to try the rest of their menu. I only heard about it on Boards.

Really good value for money in there.

Their pita is lovely, love their fish tagine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,467 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Heard good things about the High as well. Supposed to be good for Veggie stuff and you can bring your own drinks. Unfortunately I have some kind of 'phobia' about going into a place without seeing who's in there before I go up.

*and before anyone comments about 'pot calling kettle black', yeah I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Super spot, great value, great portions and the only place to get genuine Moroccan food in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Calzone in High is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

They have a new head chef, Enda finished on Saturday night.

Who is the new head chef? That's pretty big news if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

According to the Irish Times Saturday Magazine the new head chef is Ultan Cooke (great name for a chef!)

I'd expect a very different menu in the next few weeks.

Smith's of Smithfield (where Ultan Cooke worked last) is very different to the the terroir style Enda had at Anair, far more classical.

That said, I've no idea where else he's worked or where he trained, so he could be just as into the terroir style and may very continue the same sort of menu.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's funny how a couple of bad experiences in a row can sour you against a place. For instance, Oscar's gets rave reviews here all the time, yet the twice I've eaten there I've been less than impressed by the food, the service and the surroundings. I have no desire to ever go back, even though I logically know that it was possibly just bad luck (I might have overlooked the surroundings if I hadn't been unhappy with the other two.)

I've eaten in Kai a good few times and have yet to be disappointed.

Artisan is nice, but I found the service a bit meh. There was an actress in there the same time as us last time we were there and the bulk of the staff were pandering to her needs while the rest of us plebs had to wait the bones of an hour for someone to take our order.

I want to try Aniar. I'd love to be given a voucher for it.

To add to Das Kitty's post, I'd like to point the nay-sayers in the direction of the latest edition of the Bridgestone "100 best restaurants in Ireland" by John and Sally McKenna which ranks Kai as the best restaurant in Galway (and Connacht).

Like I said. In the industry and in the media Kai is consistently rated as one of the best restaurants on Connacht and Jess Murphy is constantly cited as one of the best chefs in the country. There is a very good reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

Hate to hijack the thread but can anyone recommend any good value deals for a lunch menu around city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭squonk

Hate to hijack the thread but can anyone recommend any good value deals for a lunch menu around city centre?

Supermacs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Finnegans do an almighty feed for a tenner and less.

om nom nom.... :pac:

The Cellar, two courses for 9.95,always good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

mcswiggans has cheap options too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fixer Upper

The Cellar, two courses for 9.95,always good too.

The Cellar has recently won the Hellmans Award for Irelands Top Sandwich and McCambridges came second.

I'm also fond of Kai and Ard Bia (both close for lunch at 3-4pm I think)

Massimo do a soup and a sambo and a mug of tea deal for lunch as well, think it's a tenner? Their sambos are delicious.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Massimo do a soup and a sambo and a mug of tea deal for lunch as well, think it's a tenner? Their sambos are delicious.
    Jesus they'd want to be for a tenner, you can get soup/sandwich deals in various places in and around Eyre Sq or a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Kai gets my vote, was there for a special birthday recently. They had a Brunch dessert to die for!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

To add to Das Kitty's post, I'd like to point the nay-sayers in the direction of the latest edition of the Bridgestone "100 best restaurants in Ireland" by John and Sally McKenna which ranks Kai as the best restaurant in Galway (and Connacht).

Like I said. In the industry and in the media Kai is consistently rated as one of the best restaurants on Connacht and Jess Murphy is constantly cited as one of the best chefs in the country. There is a very good reason for that.

John McKenna was on Matt Cooper's Drivetime show yesterday afternoon discussing the launch of the new guide. The host (a stand-in for Cooper, didn't catch the name) asked McKenna to name the best restaurants in the country outside Dublin. McKenna gave a mention to Aniar but spent most of the next three minutes eulogising Kai restaurant and the culinary talents of their chefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, will try one of those spots tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

You have to try "The Kitchen" which is the newish place in the Museum. I had pork belly there yesterday, absolutely stunning. It was only 10 or 11 euro or something like that. The nicest pork belly I've ever had.

All the food there seems fresh and also quite innovative. Great value and a great buzz.

Jesus they'd want to be for a tenner, you can get soup/sandwich deals in various places in and around Eyre Sq or a fiver.

Most places charge about €7 for soup, sandwich and tea/coffee deals.

For that you get a bog standard sandwich and bland "veg" soup made with knorr knorr bouillon powder and a ton of potatoes.

In massimo you get fresh bread baked in house, quality fresh (not sliced delli) meats, cheeses and leaves from artisan producers and soup made with organic local produce and real stock made in house.

I'd gladly pay the extra €3 for the difference in quality.

churchview wrote: »
    You have to try "The Kitchen" which is the newish place in the Museum. I had pork belly there yesterday, absolutely stunning. It was only 10 or 11 euro or something like that. The nicest pork belly I've ever had.

All the food there seems fresh and also quite innovative. Great value and a great buzz.

Keep meaning to try there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Keep meaning to try there!

Go for it. You'll love it. I'd lunch in Kai last week and it's up there with it easily.

Advertisement