Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant suggestion

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They have a new head chef, Enda finished on Saturday night.

That will make a difference to the place, given that it's terroir based. The Michelin star is often tightly linked (though not always) to the chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Minor thread hijack, but back to the topic of lunch in Galway. I hit up that pie shop on Upper Cross Street today with a friend, as I had been meaning to do it for ages.

A pie, mash, gravy, mushy peas and a shandy for a tenner. Really nice food. Definitely worth a gander.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Got the pizza & pint deal in Massimos the other day. Pizza was very good, probably the most authentic pizza I've had in Galway although a little small and stingey on toppings so would recommend for lunch rather than dinner. They also only do like 3 different ones so might be disappointed if none are to your tastes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Minor thread hijack, but back to the topic of lunch in Galway. I hit up that pie shop on Upper Cross Street today with a friend, as I had been meaning to do it for ages.

A pie, mash, gravy, mushy peas and a shandy for a tenner. Really nice food. Definitely worth a gander.

Pie shop?
    Kick ass.

New restuarant there by the docks over from the wa cafe, called Azur.
    http://galwayindependent.com/20130326/news/new-restaurant-opening-on-galway-docks-S861.html

They're in Limerick and have just expanded to Galway.

Brunch in Mc.Cambridges of a weekend is pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

Seaneh wrote: »

For that you get a bog standard sandwich and bland "veg" soup made with knorr knorr bouillon powder and a ton of potatoes.

i used to work in a good few restaurants in Ireland as a commiss chef, and I never saw cooking a soup made from a powder. it always was a "real" soup.

maybe on petrol stations they have those powder soups, but not in places where there is a kitchen and chefs:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

pepe00 wrote: »
    i used to work in a good few restaurants in Ireland as a commiss chef, and I never saw cooking a soup made from a powder. it always was a "real" soup.

maybe on petrol stations they have those powder soups, but not in places where there is a kitchen and chefs:confused:

You'ver never seen this stuff being use in kitchens instead of Stock?

knorr_chicken_bouillon_powder_3x40l_0250x0280_0.jpg

Because I can tell you right now, 99% of restaurants in Europe use the stuff instead of making stocks in house.

Unless you think I meant packet soup, which is totally different.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Because I can tell you right now, 99% of restaurants in Europe use the stuff instead of making stocks in house.

FYI Da tang noodle house make the stocks for their soups from scratch.

I believe Aniar do for their sauces too, at least that's what they said when asked.

I wish this was the case everywhere as it does make a world of difference to the taste.

FYI Da tang noodle house make the stocks for their soups from scratch.

I believe Aniar do for their sauces too, at least that's what they said when asked.

I wish this was the case everywhere as it does make a world of difference to the taste.

Good restaurants (like say artisan, anair, eat, kai, ard bia, kc blakes, kirwans, oscars etc) will make their stocks from scratch, but every pub/hotel/average restaurant in the city/country is using the above. There's nothing wrong with it, but yeah, it doesn't taste as good.

Da Tang is a great spot, noodles and stocks made in house and it shows in the final product.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

I'm looking for a restaurant in Galway that does great seafood and has lobster on their menu. Could anyone recommend one?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Many do great seafood but for lobster try Lobster Pot.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the lobster pot or O'Grady's are your best bet for lobster. Oscars does great seafood but lobster isn't always on the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kittywake

White Gables in Moycullen serve lobster on their evening menu- great place for seafood.
    Morans the Weir in Kilcolgan is another popular place for lobster.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

Unless you think I meant packet soup, which is totally different.

yes, i thought you meant packet soup...

i dont think adding knoor powder is that bad

you can make a decent soup with that, its only a bit of flavor, using instead of salt, than vegetables do te rest;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

pepe00 wrote: »

Agree Pepe - I have soup nearly most weekdays and I can tell you it is proper soup, made from scratch.

You can have a big bowl soup or soup and sandwich combo in town now for about a fiver for lunch. Just as good if not better than the ones that charge 7 or 8 euro for soup because of their "name".

Advertisement