Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer connected to internet - but wont load pages

Options
  • 28-03-2013 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I currently have two laptops and a mobile phone connected to a modem.
    One laptop and the phone has no problems with the internet, however the second laptop is a different story.

It is a Sony Vaio running Windows XP, and up until today it was working fine.
    I don't believe there were any software updates and there is no anti virus software on the laptop, so I don't know what could be stopping the connection.

I've tried pinging www.google.com in cmd, and it just says that ping request could not find host.
    In the wireless network connection status, it says that the laptop is connected to the network and it is sending packets (10,596 at current count) but it has only received 14 packets.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, the laptop also doesn't receive data when I set up a mobile hotspot on my phone and connected the laptop to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

shoutman wrote: »
    Hi,

I currently have two laptops and a mobile phone connected to a modem.
    One laptop and the phone has no problems with the internet, however the second laptop is a different story.

It is a Sony Vaio running Windows XP, and up until today it was working fine.
    I don't believe there were any software updates and there is no anti virus software on the laptop, so I don't know what could be stopping the connection.

I've tried pinging www.google.com in cmd, and it just says that ping request could not find host.
    In the wireless network connection status, it says that the laptop is connected to the network and it is sending packets (10,596 at current count) but it has only received 14 packets.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, the laptop also doesn't receive data when I set up a mobile hotspot on my phone and connected the laptop to it.

No AV and connected to the net and you don't see what could cause a problem ?
    Use the other pc to get an updated AV etc and update it and scan the laptop you might have accidently downloaded a virus that's blocking your internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Try pinging 74.125.138.106, the IP for google. If that works there's a DNS issue.
    +1 on the malware scan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Is there a personal firewall on the computer in question (windows firewall, norton internet security, etc)? Try disabling this to see if it resolves your issue.

Also try these:

ping 127.0.01
    ping 8.8.8.8

If you can ping 127.0.0.1 (the localhost), it's not an issue with your wifi card. If you can ping 8.8.8.8, but can't ping www.google.com, there would appear to be an issue with DHCP.

Also try ipconfig /all - what appears under "DHCP Server" and "DNS Servers"? If it's 0.0.0.0, try:

ipconfig /release

then

ipconfig /renew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Is there a personal firewall on the computer in question (windows firewall, norton internet security, etc)? Try disabling this to see if it resolves your issue.

Also try these:

ping 127.0.01
    ping 8.8.8.8

If you can ping 127.0.0.1 (the localhost), it's not an issue with your wifi card. If you can ping 8.8.8.8, but can't ping www.google.com, there would appear to be an issue with DHCP.

Also try ipconfig /all - what appears under "DHCP Server" and "DNS Servers"? If it's 0.0.0.0, try:

ipconfig /release

then

ipconfig /renew

Eh, you got that wrong, if you can ping out but can't get url's it's a DNS issue. A DHCP server just assigns IP addresses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

whoops, my bad. I stand corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

also try ipconfig /flushdns to clear bugged dns tables

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Still haven't managed to get this working, I downloaded Windows defender and did a full system scan, found some adware, but internet still not working after.

Here is what it says after ipconfig/ all

C:\Documents and Settings\Denis White>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

C:\Documents and Settings\Denis White>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
    sconnected.

C:\Documents and Settings\Denis White>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Virginia
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Eth
    ernet Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-A9-7D-5E-B8

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g PCI-E Ad
    apter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-CF-70-D5-5D
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.7
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

i see that your wireless connection is set to static ip. but no external dns servers have been set. you have them set to your router's address which is not a dns server.

open your wireless card settings > tcp/ip v4 settings > and change the primary dns server address to 8.8.8.8 and secondary dns server address to 8.8.4.4 (google's dns servers)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Thanks for all the help, i switched it back to automatically find dns settings and it worked again.

Appreciate it.

Advertisement