Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU EGM - 16th April 2013 @ 6pm - Venue TBC

Options
  • 28-03-2013 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭

Meeting: Emergency General Meeting
    Date: Tuesday 16th April 2013
    Venue: TBC
    Time: 18:00
    Quorum: 200

Agenda
    1. Apologies
    2. Minutes of Previous Meetings
    3. Motions and Resolutions
      - Motion to establish a new company ‘ULSU Trading Ltd’
      - Motion to ratify the new constitution
      - Motion to stop printing ULSU Publications (An Focal)
      - Ratify the Audited Accounts for the year ended 30th September 2012
      - Ratify the Union Auditor for AY 2012/2013
    4. AOB

Another attempt at a 6pm meeting. Hopefully it goes a little better than the last one where less than 100 people showed up IIRC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

If they don't reach quorum can it be wound down and all the SU stuff reverts to C&S? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

A two weeks notice. The SU are to kind to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Just a reminder about this on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sean Trinity

A scrapped poster design for the EGM

Because it was broken?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Sort of related, but what's the story with the ULSU and C&S having the same Wolves branding? It's really confusing in a sense, doesn't seem to have any rationale behind it, and I thought C&S wanted to be seen as having a degree of independence anyway.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Sort of related, but what's the story with the ULSU and C&S having the same Wolves branding? It's really confusing in a sense, doesn't seem to have any rationale behind it, and I thought C&S wanted to be seen as having a degree of independence anyway.

Its a university logo (in sort) so that C&S and ULSU out in public can be identified from UL.

So what's happening to the ULSU logo then?

You know when the ULSU is irrelevant to the average student when the SU has to bribe student so 200 out of 11,000 will show up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Its looks like it made quorum

• Advertisement

Confirmed that we have made quorum

Someone has asked to view the accounts, someone question whats covered by the exceptional items, for an engineer he asked a real accountant question if there ever was one.

Exceptional items are basically the debts ran up by the shop.

Riveting stuff really

Chair: next motion is discussion for a new constitution.
    Does anyone want more information?
    1 randomer: I would
    30 hour description

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Glad to see the meeting made quorum, and despite the comments here it's good to see people are asking questions, it's what it's for. Granted, I'm in Plassey and not sitting there listening to the descriptions. Couldn't swap with the other RA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Any updates on motions passed/rejected?

I wonder was it the bribing of prizes on the poster that made the quorum happen?
    Jester252 wrote: »
    Its a university logo (in sort) so that C&S and ULSU out in public can be identified from UL.
    I don't buy it...I think it's weakening the brand if anything. I just think it's a bit of a vague movement.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Any updates on motions passed/rejected?

All passed except the one stopping printing of ulsu publications.

That failed on a majority of about 2-1. A count wasn't taken.

Jester252 wrote: »
    I don't buy it...I think it's weakening the brand if anything. I just think it's a bit of a vague movement.

Could someone explain this. What's the deal with the two logos?
    I always thought the Wolves logo was introduced to represent Clubs and Societies as a collective. The description on the Wolves website agrees with this

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Could someone explain this. What's the deal with the two logos?
    I always thought the Wolves logo was introduced to represent Clubs and Societies as a collective. The description on the Wolves website agrees with this

I don't know. The SU does what the SU wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

On Tuesday the 12th of February 2013 a matter arising from on the Clubs and Societies Council Agenda was that of the UL Wolves Branding. A report was given by the C&S Executive that outlined the future development of the brand.

That included collaboration between the SU and C&S to promote it. There were 2 parts to this report, both of which were passed unanimously. Part 2 in particular states that of any major decisions to be made on the brand that approval will be sought from both councils, and that they subsequently must agree for the Brand Development Committee to proceed with any strategic decisions.

Fair enough, I just thought it strange that they sought being integrated with ULSU's image when I got the impression they were seeking a degree of independence, between the controversial money issue a while back and also the talks further back about C&S setting up a separate bank account. I understand the idea of promoting the brand further though if it means extra revenue and the like for both parties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

On more important issues, what free stuff was in the bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

A rainbow dust straw, a lollipop, orange juice, a Refresher chewy sweet, tiny Love Hearts packet, a pack of crisps, a lollipop and a condom...

37057575.jpg

A rainbow dust straw, a lollipop, orange juice, a Refresher chewy sweet, tiny Love Hearts packet, a pack of crisps, a lollipop and a condom...
    Man...I'm sorry but that's kind of hilarious. Throw sweets and condoms at the students, bribing them to go to a meeting they probably had little interest in anyway. Just seems like a bit of a patch-up job for a bigger problem, but hey, it works apparently

Man...I'm sorry but that's kind of hilarious. Throw sweets and condoms at the students, bribing them to go to a meeting they probably had little interest in anyway. Just seems like a bit of a patch-up job for a bigger problem, but hey, it works apparently

Why fix the leaking tap when your moving out in a couple of weeks that some else problem.

it's how voting works on campus (not entirely!).

Nearly every C&S offers free finger food and a drink to the members who attend their own general meetings. Actually I'm struggling to think of any general meeting, that I've been to, where there has been zero incentive for people to attend (except the thrill of the meeting itself).

Though I wouldn't put it down to just the sweets as attracting people, the 2 weeks notice did help.

More importantly, where were the random spot prizes during the meeting?

reunion wrote: »
    Though I wouldn't put it down to just the sweets as attracting people, the 2 weeks notice did help.
    The 6PM time helped a lot too I reckon. When they have it on a time like 2PM when most people are in class I just don't see the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The 6PM time helped a lot too I reckon. When they have it on a time like 2PM when most people are in class I just don't see the point.

Didn't help much the last time they did it. Held it straight after Class Reps meeting in the same room and it didn't even break the 100 mark IIRC.

Not surprised so few CRs showed up to that one after having a hour long meeting. I say most just wanted something to eat.
    But they learned from that. This time it was in place of a CR meeting.

• Advertisement

What helped was actually publising the meeting for once instead of giving notice the day before, free stuff also helps although the lack of random spot prizes was disappointing.

Apart from my flippancy here the actual meeting it was kinda good to see stuff actually get done for once. Also the motion re an focal was funny enough, a battle between the editor of an focal and the motion proposer of who least wanted to be on stage :D

Advertisement