Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A puzzling question pulling data from an access database

Options
  • 28-03-2013 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Basic scenario is that i want a user to enter in their birthday (day and month) into 2 text fields on a html page.
    There are 12 star sign readings located in an MS Access database. When the user clicks on submit birthday button, they receive a star sign reading.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I would like this to work ideally in a demo environment...as in not hosted or anything like that

The files are sitting on a windows laptop, both the html file and the access database.

If asp has to be the chosen code, that is fine. Appreciate your help in pointing me in the right direction on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking here but I am guessing that you are asking about how you can retrieve the data from the database. Is that correct or can you be more specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

thats exactly it! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Ok, what version of MS Access are you using? Have you any experience in writing database queries?

eg:

SELECT Field1, Field2
    FROM mytable
    WHERE .....

COYW wrote: »
    Ok, what version of MS Access are you using? Have you any experience in writing database queries?

eg:

SELECT Field1, Field2
    FROM mytable
    WHERE .....

Hey thanks for coming back to me. Did a module last year in Databases so i have a fair idea of select statements etc, yeah
    I have Access versions 2010 and 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

One option would be to make access available as a standard ODBC source on the laptop, then use Tomcat/jdbc to make the query and present the data

Do you have a preferred coding language? (personally I'd write a Perl Catalyst service using DBI to query the db as an ODBC source)

• Advertisement

thanks a lot. Well its a html webpage, and i have done some java. I have done a small bit of javascript too. I haven't ever done Ajax, PHP or anything else, so i was unsure which way to go. ODBC source, ok....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You'll need to go with some form of scripting language to get your project working with the database, HTML just describes the format of the web page to a browser. PHP is accessible and has loads of resources online to get you started.

You'll also need a webserver, XAMP or WAMP work well on windows and come with PHP pre-installed. You may consider moving from an Access database to MySQL (which also comes bundled with XAMPP and WAMP).

thanks Evil Phil, appreciate it!

Advertisement