Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green night saver meter

Options
  • 28-03-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I would like to know if it would be of any benefit to me tochange from a standard meter to the green night saver meter. For the last 12 months I have used  7327 units ofelectricity .I have estimated of that I have used 1765 units at night and that would increase if I started using the washing machine and dishwasher. Can you please advise thanks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi there,

The Nightsaver hours are currently 11pm to 8am but will change to 12 midnight to 9am once the clocks go forward this weekend.

If you use a minimum of four units every night during these hours, it would be worth having the day/night meter installed. Less usage than that though, it would not. The day/night meter is free to install, but there is a charge of approximately €180 to have it removed.

If you monitor your usage over the next week or two and it's adding up to at least four units per night/early morning during the Nightsaver hours, do contact us in relation to having a day/night meter installed.
    A handy way to monitor your usage is via our Appliance Calculator: https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential-energy-services/reduce-your-costs/appliance-calculators.jsp

All the best,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 3 joejordan1960

Thanks for the reply Una, as per my estimated night time usage of 1765 units divided by 365 that would average about 4.83 units per night as I don’t use electric heating that would be pretty accurate  according to your calculator .

Roughly how much saving would I make?

Hi again,

Do you think you would use the same amount at night with the change in Nightsaver duration times after the clocks go forward?

The unit rates with a day/night meter are:

D: 0.1815
    N: 0.0897

So the night rate is more than half that of the day rate.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 3 joejordan1960

Hi,

I have 2 no American fridge freezers going and 3 undercounter fridges 3 satellite receivers and 2 pc always on, and a few other small appliances going 24/7 so I think the time change would not make much of a difference

Regards Joe

Yes, that seems sufficient consumption to make the Night-saver installation worthwhile.

Do let us know if we can be of further assistance to you.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Although its a free install is there an extra cost for the actual new meter and is there any additional cost with it?higher standing charge for having it?

Hi Glic83,

Yes, this info on the NightSaver (dual tariff - day/night) is as follows:

https://www.electricireland.ie/switchchange/pricePlanElec.htm - scroll to the end and click into "More details" under Standard Price Plan - Standard Electricity NightSaver).

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

So the simple answer is Yes higher standing charge and if you dont use a certain amount the you pay extra again

glic83 wrote: »
    So the simple answer is Yes higher standing charge and if you dont use a certain amount the you pay extra again
    Hello again Glic83,

Yes, if a customer's consumption is a minimum of four units every night during the current Nightsaver hours of midnight to 9am (11pm to 8am in the winter) it would be worth having the day/night meter installed as, while the day rate with this meter is 0.1815 per unit, the night rate is less than half of that. Less usage than that though, it would not be worth having the Nightsaver installed

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭sweetie

sorry to jump in but if I pm'ed you my details could you tell me what my night usage has been over the year - I want to know is it worth keeping mine

• Advertisement

Hi Sweetie :)

Of course - do PM us indeed. We'd need your Electric Ireland account number, your name/address in full as they appear on the bill, and either your date of birth or the contact telephone number on your account.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement