Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calling people "Guys" or "Lads @ work

• 28-03-2013 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Is it an insult to people by calling them guys or lads?

Our manager as work constantly adresses our group at work (all male workers) by starting emails with "Guys" or "Lads".

Is this an insult / unprofessional or am i just over sensitive (as we dont always see eye to eye, and everything he does iritates me).

Your comments / views please

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

why would that be an insult? Even if it wasnt all male, why would that be an insult? Unprofessional??? How much have you earned for the company while you were worrying about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Personal issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dfmnoc

would you consider yourself an angry person

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

In Cork, the women refer to each other as lads...

You're being over-sensitive, let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tipptopper

Some of the stuff you read on boards never ceases to amaze me. Sweet jesus op get a grip

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

renagisha wrote: »
    It's not an insult.
    everything he does iritates me
    This is your main problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXO5ffjAufE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Our manager as work constantly adresses our group at work (all male workers) by starting emails with "Guys" or "Lads".

Is this an insult / unprofessional or am i just over sensitive (as we dont always see eye to eye, and everything he does iritates me).

Thanks!

Why would it be insulting? Do you mean he is being too familiar, acting like a friend rather than a boss? I think you would need more to go on that simply him using the term "guys"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

These are not derogatory terms and would not reasonable said to be covered under the equality statutes, at least IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,How would you feel if he started the email with

'To the bunch of Morons who call themselves workers'.

Would that sound better?.You dont have a lot to be worrying about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

You are the problem in this case, sorry!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

Thanks!
    I think thats your real issue here. He isn't being unprofessional, it's common enough to refer to people as 'guys or 'lads' when talking to a group of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Depends on the culture and context.

Such familiarity would be unacceptable in continental Europe, where addressing people by their surname and/or title is still commonplace, especially where the person you're addressing is your superior. Ireland is particularly unusual in the level of professional familiarity that exists; probably a throwback of British rule, in that we are loathed to recognise any kind of hierarchy. An Italian or German would not accept being addressed in such a manner by a subordinate, while we're far more used to the practice.

Context is also important in that such forms of address are typically more commonplace in blue-collar jobs, than white-collar or professional ones. A judge is unlikely to address officers of the court as 'lads' or be respected by them if he/she did, for example.

I'd find it irritating because I dislike the turn of phrase, but not enough to object to it.

Disrespectful? Possibly, if there is a marked difference in professional status in some of those present that would usually be acknowledged.

Advertisement