Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trout fishing in kerry

Options
  • 28-03-2013 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi lads.I'm going to kenmare on saturday for a week and am wondering where might be a good lake/river to do a bit of fly fishing.I was thinking about the stocked fisheries cos of the temperature being so bloody low.Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Hi RTC, i fished down in Kenmare last year. I wrote a report on my fishing here

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

Thanks Wgsten.Great blog.Am intrigued by the abrupt ending on gleninchaquin though.(I won't ask)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

wgsten wrote: »
    Hi RTC, i fished down in Kenmare last year. I wrote a report on my fishing here

Nice piece there wgsten. I fish kerry a lot and travel a fair bit to the inland fisheries ireland stocked lake between sneem and kenmare - if not for the fishing then certainly for the setting.

I too am intrigued as to what happened on that lake you were at.

As for the op, you'll be spoiled for choice down that area, plenty of fishing and you are very close to the glencar area which is just an anglers dream.

let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

.Am intrigued by the abrupt ending on gleninchaquin though.(I won't ask)!!

A Fella called 'Joe' I wonder???:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

"A Fella called 'Joe' I wonder???"
    Would that be short for Joseph? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

SeaFields wrote: »
    Nice piece there wgsten. I fish kerry a lot and travel a fair bit to the inland fisheries ireland stocked lake between sneem and kenmare - if not for the fishing then certainly for the setting.

I too am intrigued as to what happened on that lake you were at.

As for the op, you'll be spoiled for choice down that area, plenty of fishing and you are very close to the glencar area which is just an anglers dream.

let us know how you get on :)
    Had a great week.We fished lough barfinnihy and lough fada over 2 days and caught fish from 3/4 lb up to 3lbs.The young lad lost a really good fish also.All were rainbows and were caught on a mixture of traditional flies and lures.The scenery was stunning and it helped take the mind off the cold east wind.I will definitely be back and try a few different fisheries next time.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

rtc wrote: »
    Had a great week.We fished lough barfinnihy and lough fada over 2 days and caught fish from 3/4 lb up to 3lbs.The young lad lost a really good fish also.All were rainbows and were caught on a mixture of traditional flies and lures.The scenery was stunning and it helped take the mind off the cold east wind.I will definitely be back and try a few different fisheries next time.:)

i love lough fada. have been fishing it for years. spectacular scenery is an understatement. didnt think it was open til the end of the month. will take a trip over soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Was fishing anascual lake yesterday and hooked a lovely sea trout or small salmon... lost him at the bank... about 3 to 4 pound weight... using barbless hooks its very hard to land fish...

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

lookin v good for the weekend....hope to head down friday....someone had a 9lb sea trout on currane on the troll yesterday....first of the big lads....they're in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Heard that all right, some very big fish caught this year....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

and a lot more than you might read about......the roughty had their agm a few weeks back and IFI man told them that most of the grilse run in roughty, sheen, blackwater was lifted by nets but that the spring run was strong last year and again this year......sneem did well all summer so that would seem like a bit of hint - presumably, the netting was done east of sneem.
    I think this could be a great year for sea trout but nobody expecting much of a grilse run .....was bitter and dry five years back after the eggs were laid and a lot were lost to frost.....that's what the fisheries people expect but i dunno....as you say, there's a lot of big, big fish in currane and all over the country if you read the reports...weather has been v bad with offshore winds for about five weeks which apparently slows the run down and more importantly, keeps poochers on their bar stools......i hear buckets of sea trout in the laune....also cara is having a big spring run

Advertisement