Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 12: Calamari, Patatas Bravas and Aioli

Options
  • 28-03-2013 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Hello hello! First off I hope nobody minds I'm putting this up a day early, won't get the chance tomorrow!

Seeing as it's Good Friday tomorrow, I thought I'd do a fish dish. This is a fairly simple recipe and shouldn't take too long to throw together. It's especially good with a beer but obviously we'll all be abstaining tomorrow for the day that's in it :pac:

Ingredients:

Calamari:
    -Squid. I buy tubes from my fishmonger, and usually one per person is enough. Each tube is about 200g.
    -About 150ml milk
    -Flour, salt, pepper.
    -Oil. Something light enough, but able to cope with deep frying-I used rapeseed

Patatas Bravas:
    -Potatoes. Waxy ones ideally.
    -Onion
    -Garlic
    -Red chilli (I use about half a chilli but adjust to your taste)
    -Chorizo (optional but nice!)
    -Red wine vinegar
    -Tin of tomatoes
    -Paprika

Aioli:
    -Garlic
    -1 Large Egg
    -Lemon
    -Mustard
    -Oil. Again, I use rapeseed. Never use olive oil!

Method:
    1.First, preheat your oven to the highest setting.

2. Next, start on the sauce for the patatas bravas. Roughly chop one onion, the chilli and 2-3 cloves garlic. If using chorizo, chop this, add to a pan with some oil and fry until it starts to release it's delicious fat. Then saute the onion, chilli and garlic in this. When soft, add a dash of red wine vinegar. Once this has evaporated, add the tin of tomatoes, a good teaspoon of paprika, reduce heat and simmer while you get on with everything else. You can serve this chunky, but normally I blend it up before serving.

2zg6iw9.jpg

3. Chop your potatoes to rough one inch chunks. If you want to put in loads of effort here, you could prep them as you would for roast spuds-peel them, parboil them, drain and shake in pan to rough up edges-I don't bother. Add some oil to a baking tray and allow to heat in the oven. When oil is hot, tip in potatoes and season well with salt, pepper and lots of paprika. Add in 4/5 whole, unpeeled cloves of garlic. Shake around and put back in top shelf of oven, These will take approx 20 mins.

1o8ztd.jpg

4. At this point you can make your mayo for the aioli, or, as in my case, discover that your OH and the dog had scrambled eggs for breakfast while you were at work and realise you have to use Hellmann's. If you were making the mayo though, you'd add the egg, a pinch of salt, a few drops of lemon juice and a half teaspoon of mustard to a bowl and beat. I use a hand whisk and s-l-o-w-l-y drop in your oil bit by bit as you beat. This will take a few mins. When it's come together, taste and adjust the seasoning, bearing in mind that you're adding your roasted garlic cloves to this later. Set aside.

5. Time to tackle the squid! I chop the tubes into rings about 1cm wide. Once all chopped, I add them to a bowl with the milk to soak for a few minutes. They don't need very long at all, 5-10 minutes is enough.
    1zq38et.jpg

Take a large freezer bag and add a good handful of flour, some salt, loads of black pepper, and some paprika. I sometimes add a handful of polenta too to add a bit of texture. Drain the squid, add the the bag, and squash around until fully coated.

Check your timing of everything else-the calamari should be served ASAP. When the potatoes are nearly done, the garlic should be roasted enough to take out and squeeze out of it's skin and into your homemade/shop bought mayo. Blend your patatas bravas sauce if you want, and have a plate in a warm grill/oven with kitchen paper. Done? Frying time!

Heat about 2 inches of oil in a pan. Test if it's hot enough by throwing in a cube of bread-it should sizzle and brown. When ready, carefully fry your calamari in small batches. Calamari is quick, about 3 minutes usually does mine, when you see a lovely golden crust it's ready. Remove to your plate with kitchen paper on to keep warm until all your squid rings are cooked.

2mquaol.jpg

6. Plate up! Patatas bravas and generous dollops of sauce. Add a dollop of aioli or serve that on the side for dipping. Serve your calamari with plenty of lemon to squeeze over. Token vegetable to offset deep-frying guilt optional.

1qkh1y.jpg

Sure it's a fast day, you may as well make your one main meal count ;) Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Those calamari look luuuuuuuuuuvly. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Thanks for this. I've wanted to get a good patata bravas recipe for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Now if I could only convince the people around me to try squid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

hdowney wrote: »
    Now if I could only convince the people around me to try squid :(

My OH is a food thief... Sneaks into the kitchen when I'm cooking and grabs bits out of pots and pans when I'm not looking. First time I made these I had my first batch done and had to run upstairs for something, next thing I heard an outraged "THESE AREN'T ONION RINGS!" from downstairs. :pac: It's one way of getting people over the fear, he scoffs them now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made that exact error with onion rings/calamari!

Calamari is something I keep trying, because in theory I should love it. However, only twice have I had it properly cooked and not rubbery. I might just try it again myself though!

Love patatas bravas and aioli :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Faith wrote: »
    Calamari is something I keep trying, because in theory I should love it. However, only twice have I had it properly cooked and not rubbery. I might just try it again myself though!

It's like the Holy Grail. Good calamari is a joy. Bad calamari is one of life's most disgusting things to eat.

It's like playing roulette ordering it sometimes.

Overcooked calamari is awful stuff, it's like eating elastic bands. I watch this like a hawk when I cook it, even have a little stopwatch by my side!

pampootie wrote: »
    Overcooked calamari is awful stuff, it's like eating elastic bands.

This is an extremely accurate description!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Going on this I think I've only ever had the bad stuff! What's the texture supposed to be like? Not a huge fan of seafood generally...could eat patatas bravas for hours though, so will definitely try those!

Going on this I think I've only ever had the bad stuff! What's the texture supposed to be like? Not a huge fan of seafood generally...could eat patatas bravas for hours though, so will definitely try those!

It shouldn't be chewy or rubbery. The difference between well-cooked and over-cooked calamari is similar to in prawns. It's hard to describe, but you'd know when it's right.

• Advertisement

I don't know how you'd describe the right texture either, it's a bit like prawn alright but kind of firmer or something? Never rubbery!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Al dente, like the most perfectest pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I used the recipe for patatas bravas last night and they were perfect without parboiling first! I've always wondered how to do that, and have had no success frying, but didn't think of just sticking them on a roasting dish :rolleyes:

Had them with an aubergine and mushroom bake and will definitely use the recipe again.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'm always trying out new patatas bravas recipes, so tried this one last night and loved it, thanks OP! I put in half a chilli, with seeds, but it could have done with more for my tastes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Roald Dahl

We had this lovely meal tonight.

I prepared the potatoes this afternoon, boiled them, cooled them down and let them rest for a couple of hours in the fridge.

Next was the mayonnaise, which I had never made before. I used a stick blender to whisk it together, mind you. Turned out very nice!

As for the potatoes, I deep-fried them, just like the calamari. It just made sense to do so. Along with the fact that I bought a Tefal fryer just last week! :)

We washed it down with a nice Catalonian wine from Lidl and Estrella beer, from Tesco.

Salud!

CC-2013-12-Calamari-Patatas-Bravas-Aioli.jpg

Advertisement