Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mentored Shave Update

• 28-03-2013 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Guys it has been over 18 months since we ran the Mentored Shave series of threads.

I just wondered how our mentees are getting along...

Here are the original threads...

#1 Mr Buford T Justice
    #2 SmokeySkelton
    #3 Mr Velo

Any situation reports guys? Still DE Shaving?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

This actually reminded me that I should probably contact the two people that I've sent straight razors to see how they are getting on.

Although I think I've forgetten who the first person was at this stage...

But yeah, how are you guys getting on? (thought I should at least try make my post somewhat on topic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Well... we do need to do a straight razor mentored thread I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

MadsL wrote: »
    Well... we do need to do a straight razor mentored thread I think.

Hi guys I would be interested in this if it goes ahead. I have been DE shaving for a couple of years and am a total convert. I'd like to give straight razors a go but I'm sure you all know they are a bit expensive to buy so I haven't yet taken the plunge. If I could get a loan of a decent straight I'd like to try it out and report back!

First in line. :)

It's always great when someone volunteers to cut up their face.

I was actually thinking of giving ebay a look earlier for any cheap razors in ok condition. I might actually have a look over the weekend.

Or MadsL, if you feel up to it, maybe pick up a Gold Dollar and take off the shoulder with your dremel (you have one right or am I misremembering things).

Gold dollars work well once you get rid of the ****ty shoulders on it.

• Advertisement

hitemfrank wrote: »
    It's always great when someone volunteers to cut up their face.

I was actually thinking of giving ebay a look earlier for any cheap razors in ok condition. I might actually have a look over the weekend.

Or MadsL, if you feel up to it, maybe pick up a Gold Dollar and take off the shoulder with your dremel (you have one right or am I misremembering things).

Gold dollars work well once you get rid of the ****ty shoulders on it.

You know I have been thinking about Gold Dollars...

I'll just leave this here.

Also have a peek at this. Take a guess what it started out as? Here is the post on Badger and Blade about it. If you have time have a look through the thread - its pretty damn good.

...and my bench grinder picked a good day to stop working.

...hmmm.

....hmmmm.

OK, Challenged accepted. Time for a new thread once this arrives.
    I would however much prefer carbon steel not Stainless.

Ordered two - let's see how we go.

The only stainless GD is the model 800 from what I've read- the two you ordered are model 66.

I'm interested to see what the shoulders are like on the ones you ordered. May pick one up to see for myself.

They could take a good few weeks to be delivered however.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    The only stainless GD is the model 800 from what I've read- the two you ordered are model 66.

I'm interested to see what the shoulders are like on the ones you ordered. May pick one up to see for myself.

Go for it. At $4 can't really go wrong. Always useful as a letter opener if you hate them. Get at least two - they vary a lot from what I have read.

• Advertisement

Yep, Quality control is not such a high priority in the People's Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

DE shaving mentee here reporting for duty with a quick update.

I'm still DE shaving (but not exclusively DE :o). Whenever I'm not in a major rush I use the DE razor with shaving soap, but if I'm in a rush I use a disposable multi-blade with canned goo.

At present I'm using a Merkur progress with Gillette platinum blades. I generally start off at 4 (more aggressive) and depending on time, inclination and general hairiness I would make one or two more passes at an increasingly more gentle setting.

Ironically I started DE shaving as I didn't want to be a slave to Gillette (who seem to own all the major shaving brands), but I like their DE blades, and they are easy to source. I was hoping to like something like Derby blades as they are not Gillette and are cheap, but I didn't get on with them at all. Them's the breaks I suppose.

I'd be interested in straight razor shaving too. I bought a couple of straight razors a few years back, and on a barber's advice soaked them in Milton sterilizer. That was not a good idea at all, as they came out incredibly stained. Madsl kindly offered to have a look at them, and quick as a flash he got to work on them! ;)

Thanks to everyone for their generosity in both materials and advice towards the mentees!

You have seen this thread, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

I have indeed. Hence the "quick as a flash" comment. :)

Thanks Hitemfrank!

Just making sure you're ready for straight razor terror :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'm still a convert.

With work, I don't have too much free time these days that isn't spent with the family, but any time I do shave its always with the DE. I love it and I'll never go back to the mainstream muck.

So thanks to everyone here for the support and tools to make the change. Really glad I did.

Advertisement