Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about lectures

Options
  • 28-03-2013 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I'm going into transition year next year and was wondering, are lectures open to the public? Would I be able to walk in next year even if I'm not a student of UL?
    (not including tutorials, just lectures)
    Thanks for taking the time to read

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

MomijiHime wrote: »
    I'm going into transition year next year and was wondering, are lectures open to the public? Would I be able to walk in next year even if I'm not a student of UL?
    (not including tutorials, just lectures)
    Thanks for taking the time to read

You'd probably get a few dirty looks but nobody is going to stop you. If the lecturer takes attendance just hand the sheet to the next person. What kind of lectures were you thinking of sitting in on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

They're open, but as far as I know you can technically be asked to show an ID card and asked to leave if you haven't got one. Haven't heard of that happening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

UL offers a shadow program. It allowes you follow a student around for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Chavways wrote: »
    You'd probably get a few dirty looks but nobody is going to stop you. If the lecturer takes attendance just hand the sheet to the next person. What kind of lectures were you thinking of sitting in on?

Maybe Japanese, History or anything that seemed interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Jester252 wrote: »
    UL offers a shadow program. It allows you follow a student around for a day.

Yup, there was a transition year student who was in our class for a week last month :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

I've never seen anyone thrown out of a lecture. We even managed to smuggle my coursemate's friend into a lecture. He doesn't even go to UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

MomijiHime wrote: »
    Maybe Japanese, History or anything that seemed interesting

In some of the bigger lectures, e.g. Business lectures, that would have hundreds of attendees, the only worry would be you'd get asked a question. The japanese lectures would be a little more challenging. I know barbara geraghty (the japanese head of department and main lecturer) is keen to help anyone with an onterest in learning the language, so if you perhaps had a word with her, and if the class isn't as big as it was this year that it's causing pressure, then it's feesible.

On this point, was interested in dropping in to some philosophy/psychology lectures next year, anyone go first year module codea and lecture names handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

I'm not sure sitting in on Japanese would be possible without permission. I've been to a few of the classes and they'd definitely notice if some random person was there. I would contact the college and ask about shadowing a student for a day or however long they allow it. I know someone who had two secondary school students hanging around with her last month, she does Japanese so I assume the students got to go to those classes with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

The shadow a student day is done by the Access Office in UL. Get in contact with Deirdre or Josephine and you should be able to shadow a third/fourth year student.

They can either bring you to their year's lectures or bring you to a first year module lecture.

Advertisement