Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laya Healthcare excess

Options
  • 28-03-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭

The excess on certain cover only my policy is €220 but if I add a 2nd adult the excess increases to €440 as the excess is pooled together.

A disadvantage to have more than 1 person on the policy as you will be worse off if only 1 person claiming in a year.

Maybe some people out there aren't aware of

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭caitrionaanne

An excess is normally per individual. It would be €220 each. So it means that you alone don't have to reach €440 excess because there is a second person on policy!! That has always been my understanding anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Trampas

An excess is normally per individual. It would be €220 each. So it means that you alone don't have to reach €440 excess because there is a second person on policy!! That has always been my understanding anyway!!

was my also until i was speaking on the phone to them

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Substantially worse off. This has definitely been commented on in the last year. So choices for people are;

(1) Keep the €440 for a reduced premium. As an example, where €20 of a €50 GP visit could be claimed back (if there is GP cover), that would be 22 GP visits before a claim could be made = €1100.
    (2) Separate the adults on 2 policies (no prob). Good choice IMO if one adult 'well' and other may have illness costs.
    (3) Separate the adults on 2 policies and pay an increased premium for the adult with an illness to have no excess (i.e. the €1 Laya excess. Please note that on the HIA website plans have 'X Plan Excess' even thou it is sometimes just €1, and not the €220, so don't be put off comparing these options. Per Laya - quote - they have to charge some excess and this is the lowest).
    (4) Pick a plan with a €1 excess. Let's say this €1 excess plan premium is +€200 more than the plan with the €220 excess. And both plans allow €20 back on GP visits. If someone had 11 €50 GP visits (total €550) on the €1 excess plan, they could claim back €220 (= the +€200 increased premium). So a 'loss' of €280. If someone had 11 €50 GP visits (total €550) on the €220 excess plan they could claim back nothing, a 'loss' of €550. Subtract the €200 they have initially 'saved' with a cheaper premium and their 'loss' is €350.
    (5) Eligible balance, not reimbursed by Laya etc., claimed via Revenue. I'm not working it out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79916705

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Most of the above post is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭caitrionaanne

Or just go to another company!!!!! I have never heard of an excess working like that! Pretty sneaky of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

All the insurers excesses work like that if there is more than one person on the policy.

Advertisement