Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€3750 for per year for house tax...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Phoebas wrote: »
    Not a problem, according to an interview I heard with Josephine Feehily (revenue chair) recently. As long as you make an honest stab at a valuation you'll be ok.

What about people who are on the dole or disabilty allowance, do they have to pay also

As long as the self assessment valuation is honest then later selling the property for more isn't a problem.

Well them mines will be getting valued at the 150 im selling it for. What if i put down 149,999 would it make my tac cheaper. Does anyone know how much i need to pay at this value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

newbie2013 wrote: »
    What about people who are on the dole or disabilty allowance, do they have to pay also
    Yep, although some people on very low incomes can defer payment. But they have to pay eventually with interest.

Well them mines will be getting valued at the 150 im selling it for. What if i put down 149,999 would it make my tac cheaper. Does anyone know how much i need to pay at this value
    Its done in bands of 50k, so the tax between 100k and 150k is the same. I think its €112 for this year

Yep, although some people on very low incomes can defer payment. But they have to pay eventually with interest.

With interest, bastards! This country needs a revolution. The fighting irish my ass. Were a bunch of cowards

With interest, bastards! This country needs a revolution. The fighting irish my ass. Were a bunch of cowards
    Its 4pc p/a.
    I think the interest rate is double that if you just done pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Yeah. But the problem is the revenue interest/penalties is paying rent on something you owe.
    Not a problem, according to an interview I heard with Josephine Feehily (revenue chair) recently. As long as you make an honest stab at a valuation you'll be ok.
    As long as the self assessment valuation is honest then later selling the property for more isn't a problem.
    Its done in bands of 50k, so the tax between 100k and 150k is the same. I think its €112 for this year
    Do you think you could get something over 100k for it? If so, you are in the 100-150k band. Otherwise you are in the under 100k band.

Its really simple.

All very helpful, and considerate. Josephine Feehily couldn't have done better herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

202 for half the year so some thing like 408 in my mothers house,(i expect this to rise) which we moved into about 20 years ago then she got ms and is on invalidity all the relations helped out to pay of the mortgage for her because how badly the situation changed and thats cleared now, and now after the mobility allowance cuts and all this other crap we get this where the *bleep* do think some one on a invalidity pension can get an extra 408 euro :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Doom wrote: »
    looks like I paid €3750 tax a year for the last 6 years

€22,500 tax in 6 years. How exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

€112 for the half year.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

112 and it went straight into the bin where it belongs. If 50% of people don't pay again good luck dealing with the logistics of collecting it. There going to end up losing money trying to collect this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The Irish, subservient 'til the end :(

What have you done to change things?

Steodonn wrote: »
    112 and it went straight into the bin where it belongs. If 50% of people don't pay again good luck dealing with the logistics of collecting it. There going to end up losing money trying to collect this
    Even then collection rate for the household charge is up at around 75pc, so the idea that the collection rate for the LPT might be as low as 50pc really isn't based on reality.
    There is a better chance of Sinn Fein getting into power and refunding it as they promised*

* not really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

MadsL wrote: »

Lol.

I was in L*** yesterday and had my trolley at the end of the till where you pay. The cashier told me to move the trolley into the angled designated slot by the till. I said to her "I didn't grow up in Germany. I don't sieg heil." She laughed and said fair enough, and made some comment about the Germans now running everything. She then commented and said that's the only way to deal with it. "Don't think about it and get on with things." That's the pervasive philosophy I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Is there any way to claim the house not in use? Like you would with a car?

Board up windows, disconnect all services, bring in a few cows and say it's a cowshed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

90 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

How reliable is http://www.daft.ie/property-tax/

when i put in the details of my house there they say its worth 93k which would be 90 euro tax per year but revenue sent me a letter saying it's valued at the next tax bracket up which would cost 225 a year,

that's a fair bit of a difference, the less i can give them the better,

can i just send the form back with the value that's on daft.ie?

MadsL wrote: »

I dont know what i could do but theres smarter people out there than me that coukd come up with something. Look at the situation in iceland, with the backing of the people we need changes like that in this country but then again, were irish ffs, bunch of roll over fcuking idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

If I was your tenant, I'd be moving out!

Not with out me giving your passport back you wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Didn't register so nothing so far. Couldn't really see the point in lining up like a sheep to be fcuked over with this tax.

If they ever do catch up with me I'll put the value of my place down at €100,000,000,000 and let the fun begin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Didn't register so nothing so far. Couldn't really see the point in lining up like a sheep to be fcuked over with this tax.

If they ever do catch up with me I'll put the value of my place down at €100,000,000,000 and let the fun begin.

lol
    its revenue not; i don't know anyone else who isnt as scary as revenue

you will learn i'm afraid

Lol.

I was in L*** yesterday and had my trolley at the end of the till where you pay. The cashier told me to move the trolley into the angled designated slot by the till. I said to her "I didn't grow up in Germany. I don't sieg heil." She laughed and said fair enough, and made some comment about the Germans now running everything. She then commented and said that's the only way to deal with it. "Don't think about it and get on with things." That's the pervasive philosophy I think.

Hah! You're so funny!

No. You won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Not with out me giving your passport back you wouldn't.

Ah ok, you're a troll. Carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

We bought a house for 240k 2 years ago, the fella was Namad and had to sell taking a massive loss on it, we got theproperty tax value in the 150-200k bracket, have no intention of selling so what are the implications if any of not saying anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No. You won't.

Yes. I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yes. I will.

If you intend to make things difficult for them just make sure all your tax affairs are in order unlike the people on this list. They could decide to take a special interest in people who make things difficult.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/yields.html

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

RasTa wrote: »
    I'm in Vancouver, my landlord pays $700 a month in property tax. That covers, water and garbage pickups etc.

Is it covering anything this tax in Ireland?
    In fairness it is. Overpaid County Managers and various overpaid civil and public servants. Not useful stuff like bin collection or the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

€0

Doing my bit to reduce the average value quoted by the government!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

€22,500 tax in 6 years. How exactly?

FFS read the 1st post and use your brain....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I'm in Vancouver, my landlord pays $700 a month in property tax. That covers, water and garbage pickups etc.

Feck...:eek:....what is your rent?

Does Eamon Gilmore just not get it....
    The Tanaiste added that people recognised the work done by Labour to tackle the country's financial crisis, but he said it was important to convert those efforts into practical help for the hard-pressed public.
    Yes, Eamon, the people do.Which is why your party received the level of support it did.
    He said: "We've made progress but of course it hasn't penetrated and it hasn't been reflected in people's lives and their living standards."
    "Hello". Is this guy kidding, f*cking sure it has, at least for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

What's the story with the Revenue map that gives an estimate of values?

In my area (largely corpo houses) the value as determined by that map are €150-200k.
    Of the last 5 houses that I know that sold in the area only 1 of them went for over €50k!!! (€57,500 to be precise)

Therefore if I estimate the value of my place as €40k do they just laugh it out of the park?

What's the story with the Revenue map that gives an estimate of values?

In my area (largely corpo houses) the value as determined by that map are €150-200k.
    Of the last 5 houses that I know that sold in the area only 1 of them went for over €50k!!! (€57,500 to be precise)

Therefore if I estimate the value of my place as €40k do they just laugh it out of the park?

The map is ****e. Unless someone is really taking the piss I really doubt they're going to question many valuations. That said, the fact that you apparently have electricity in your house suggests it's probably worth more than 40k.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

Slick50 wrote: »
    You seem to have a deep insight into paper qualities, but I won't be using it for cleansing purposes... just giving it a hint of what I think of this tax, I can still afford loo roll, presently.

I don't intend to stand in line like a domino, to make it easy for them. And I'm sure they will catch up with me eventually, all the sooner if enough mugs line up to make it easy for them... but I'm hoping this bunch will be gone before they get the benifit of charging me rent on my own home. Especially as their manifesto explicitly stated they would not introduce a tax on the family home.

Fairplay, very well said!! I am right behind you and there are many more behind me, 1.4 million has yet to pay this a good indication of this with the postal deadline already passed!!
    Never will I pay a tax on my own home that is a liability and costing me a fortune on interest, this alone should make people mad and stand up against this tax never mind the unlawfulness, I honestly dont know whats wrong with people nowadays!! I often wonder how strange it is that we actually once had revolutions in this country... seems like a fairytale going by peoples principals today or should I say lack off??

For the ones who are less informed (sheep) who are jumping in line to pay and saying "ah we have to pay it we are the only country in Europe not paying" is that so?? I thought we have been paying a property tax since 1976 when the then govt raised VAT by 2.2% to compensate for the abolition of the housing rates and to this day have never reduced it which equates to around €22Billion++.

But then again I cant blame you for jumping in to these things completely as foolishness is hard wired into the brain for some people and there is little that can be done.

Pity really if we all had little more than an ounce of cop on people would see just how many counts this new tax is wrong the government would have abondened this last yr and looking at taxing the big companies the rates they should be or other solutions not trying to screw the most vulnerable people in society, people who are struggling to put food on their table!! Shame on anyone who supports this tax!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wonder what the reaction would be if there was a campaign of mailing letters coated in fecal matter back to the revenue. The post by Slick50 has me curious.

I feel bad for the people tasked with seeing this through.

kowloon wrote: »
    I wonder what the reaction would be if there was a campaign of mailing letters coated in fecal matter back to the revenue.
    Overwhelming ridicule of anyone involved in such a campaign I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Jasus, first we have nutty car tax rates that drive us into econoboxes with 1 litre engines. Now we have a House tax that will drive people into 1 litre houses with the windows boarded up. Soon there will be a "You had kids" tax that will force people to only have one kid. Is there any hope of an election any time soon so we can feck this shower out?

I was also sort of hoping the OP lived in a house the size of Kilkenny and would regale us with stories of his heated pool. I'm a bit dissapointed.

Overwhelming ridicule of anyone involved in such a campaign I'd say.

But surely it would stick it to that TD we don't like who is in charge of opening all of the envelopes, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

112 for 6 months. The perks of living in Leitrim ;)

1.12 for dolphins barn in south dublin

But surely it would stick it to that TD we don't like who is in charge of opening all of the envelopes, right?
    True. The Minister for opening envelopes would be livid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

The whole thing is just a f...ing mess!

I paid my property tax this year, whether I can afford to next year ....?

Nowhere to run to!

Meanwhile the Bankers who created the mess have not yet been jailed !

In France the CEO's of the Banks would be jailed until proven innocent:confused:

Irish people have been very patient so far, patience is getting very thin on the ground.

I wonder what the reaction would be if there was a campaign of mailing letters coated in fecal matter back to the revenue. The post by Slick50 has me curious.

I feel bad for the people tasked with seeing this through.
    I did not suggest returning these assessments soiled, or scented. I said I would be wiping my a*se with mine, that's all.
    But I have thought about returning it marked "I do not owe this", if they have any detail on it incorrect. Just as revenue do, if they have any questions when dealing with tax rebates, or other claims. But , as of now, I have recieved no assessment fot either HHC or LPT, and will not be volunteering payment.

True. The Minister for opening envelopes would be livid.
    Didn't he step down before the last election?

I did not suggest returning these assessments soiled, or scented. I said I would be wiping my a*se with mine, that's all.
    But I have thought about returning it marked "I do not owe this", if they have any detail on it incorrect. Just as revenue do, if they have any questions when dealing with tax rebates, or other claims. But , as of now, I have recieved no assessment fot either HHC or LPT, and will not be volunteering payment.
    The onus for registering, assessing and paying the LPT is on the homeowner, not on the Revenue. I doubt any prank like that would get you anywhere (apart from a penalty charge).
    Didn't he step down before the last election?
    He became unstuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Tried to pay today. I entered my details and clicked next, then I realized I had made a type-o and clicked the 'back one step' button on the site to correct it.

Next thing it locks me out from the payment options and tells me that my property already has a payment made on it. Can't get back in and their office is closed.

What a sh!t website. Here they are scabbing money off us and they can't even do that right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

700 Dollars a month is very steep?

Would your wage be revelant to your outgoings? Like my brother pays about 400 australian dollars a week in rent in Sdyney. I almost fell over hearing this but they're earning 1500 dollars a week.

Can I ask another few more questions please?

How much is your ESB?
    Car tax?
    Other outgoings and living expeniture?

If were to need an ambulance or fire bigrade would you have to pay to call those out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

The whole thing is just a f...ing mess!

I paid my property tax this year, whether I can afford to next year ....?

Nowhere to run to!

Meanwhile the Bankers who created the mess have not yet been jailed !

In France the CEO's of the Banks would be jailed until proven innocent:confused:

Irish people have been very patient so far, patience is getting very thin on the ground.

One of the bank CEO's here is on a pay packet of 800,000 a year, paid for by the state no doubt now that banks are state owned.

800,000 euro a year.

I know, just amusing myself :D

ilovesleep wrote: »
    One of the bank CEO's here is on a pay packet of 800,000 a year, paid for by the state no doubt now that banks are state owned.

800,000 euro a year.
    I think its Richie Boucher you're referring to. He is the BoI CEO. They are not state owned, but the state is a minor shareholder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement