Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do teachers label students? if so why?

• 28-03-2013 9:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hey all. :)

Would love to pick your brains on the above issue.
    I am currently completing the PDE and for a portfolio writing up I have become very interested in why some teachers feel to need to label students, and in labeling i mean in a negative way.

I am exploring relationships between teachers and students and how teachers expectations of students becomes apparent to students even through non verbal means.

I'm also interested in exploring the role of the self-fulfilling prophecy

I would be really interested in some feedback from established teachers on whether you think teachers do label students negatively and if so do you have any idea why they may do so.

I appreciate any insight anyone has!!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Do you mean "label" from an ability or personality point of view?

Teachers are always going to label students, particularly with this practice being there from DES level down.

A student will be labeled weak if the student is weak, and that label will be even more widely known (in the staff room by teachers who teach that student) if he/she has had a psychological assessment & has been diagnosed as being ADHD, Dyslexic etc.

These labels are not meant in a derogatory way, they are simply descriptive & factual.

On the other side of the coin, some kids are fantastic & will be labeled in that way.

On the behavior issue, if a kid is an asshole, he/she will be labelled an asshole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

It would be extremely unprofessional to label any student without continuous repetitive behaviour - and even then it would more be a case of a reputation for rather than a label. Of course there are instances where you could have banter with a student - for example - here comes my latecomer - but students behaviour can vary widely from one subject to another depending on their level of interest so 'labelling' is an dangerous game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

highly1111 wrote: »
    It would be extremely unprofessional to label any student without continuous repetitive behaviour - and even then it would more be a case of a reputation for rather than a label. Of course there are instances where you could have banter with a student - for example - here comes my latecomer - but students behaviour can vary widely from one subject to another depending on their level of interest so 'labelling' is an dangerous game.

I'd agree with this.
    I'm not saying the label I have in my head for some students is something i broadcast.
    That would be unprofessional.

It's just human nature to label people

Advertisement