Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to start Applied Maths now?

• 28-03-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Would it be too late to start Applied Maths at this point in 5th year? And would it be difficult to teach it to yourself even if you were good at maths? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

If your only in 5th year you could still go for it. But you'd probably need to go to a grinds school. A friend of mine was good at maths and he did applied maths for his leaving cert year only in a grind school and did very well.

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

No ,i don't think it is too late! i haven't done applied maths before but from friends/people in my year doing it would be very difficult to do it yourself , i would ask the teacher who takes it or if there isn't one just the maths teacher, they might have stories of previous pupils who took it themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Absolutely not.
    It would take a good deal of work but it is essentially a one year course.
    Work on it a good deal during the summer to save yourself the stress in 6th year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I do ap maths. You would need a teacher to help . The concepts don't all come naturally and their are tricky sections even if you are good at maths . I'm in fifth year and my class is ready to sit the paper . We have 6 questions ready. It is possible but you would want to start sooner rather than later . Hope this is to some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mcd2812

Thanks everyone for your replies :) if I was to try learning it myself, would an Applied Maths textbook be all I need?

• Advertisement

Mcd2812 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your replies :) if I was to try learning it myself, would an Applied Maths textbook be all I need?

Yes, you need a textbook or a teacher to get the grips with the concepts.
    I think the most valuable thing to you, however, will be a set of exam papers.
    There's no way better of perfecting a question than going through the exam papers and doing each question year by year. You'll find the questions can be broken into several categories but are still somewhat predictable.
    Despite the predictability they will always throw in a screwball question to knock you, so make sure to have 7 or 8 questions prepared.
    Good luck! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

You have loads of time to get really good at this so you're lucky! If you're interested in it and good at maths you should be fine. And if I were you I'd tackle it over Summer when you've got so much free time!

I am getting by okay teaching myself with just exam papers, Fundamental Applied Maths, and with notes from http://thephysicsteacher.ie/

If you can afford it, a grind or two wouldn't go astray if you're having trouble with any area in particular..

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

You could learn enough to get a C or higher in Applied Maths in a few hours if you had a good enough teacher or such. Very doable for you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

applied maths is a very easy A1 if you have a good teacher as its just methods you learn for tackling differenet questions my freind was a complete waster during 5th got 16% in his summer test but did grinds end up with an A2 in the lc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Definitely not too late. Don't know about the easy A1, but if you work hard you're grand.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for all your replies! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I had to give up Applied Maths before Christmas because of the workload. Depends on the amount of HL subjects you're doing and if you're going to try put in equal effort to all of them. I did have the HPAT on top of that though, so maybe you'd manage better.

0mega wrote: »
    I had to give up Applied Maths before Christmas because of the workload. Depends on the amount of HL subjects you're doing and if you're going to try put in equal effort to all of them. I did have the HPAT on top of that though, so maybe you'd manage better.

You're right, it is a huge amount to be doing on your own so I think getting a core amount done during summer is essential.

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm doing 7 higher level subjects already so I'm still a bit unsure whether or not I'll take up Applied Maths because of the amount of extra time I would need to dedicate to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

If you're good at applied maths, why give it up? Applied maths has the most A1s out of any subject (bar language subjects) because if you know the stuff, you'll get the A1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Tweej wrote: »
    If you're good at applied maths, why give it up? Applied maths has the most A1s out of any subject (bar language subjects) because if you know the stuff, you'll get the A1.

I didn't enjoy it really. It was the subject I never wanted to study or do homework for.

Advertisement