Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help! no hob or microwave

Options
  • 28-03-2013 11:19pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Basically I'm broke and my microwave is kaput and i've run out of gas for the hob. So I'm stuck for things to cook,
    What I do have is the following equipment
    Oven
    Grill
    Steamer
    Slow cooker
    Deep fat fryer

All I can think of at the minute are all potato based meals. Can anyone suggest ways I could cook rice or pasta possibly?
    Or any other suggestions please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

With the slow cooker you could do a chili, bolognese, etc and at the very end (maybe 30mins or so?) you could throw in some pasta/rice etc? I've heard it being done, but I'm not sure how long you need to cook it for, maybe someone who knows can tell you.

You could also made stews/soups in the slow cooker.

Steam your vegetables instead of boiling them, steaming them is better than boiling anyway I think :)

Things like chops (pork, lamb etc), steak and fish can be grilled too. You could get mince and make home made burgers and grill those too.

Oven - roast meals, chicken, pork, fish, beef etc. You could get a small chicken (about €4), rub it with oil/spices and roast it with vegetables (or on its own if you prefer) and if there's any leftover, when it is cold, put it in the fridge and use it for sandwiches, salads etc.

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/18-easy-slow-cooker-recipes/136089

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/slow-cooker-recipes.aspx

Deep fat dryer - chips, nuggets etc. I wouldn't use it too often though OP, I'd stick to steaming/grilling/roasting/slow cooking to be honest.

A slow cooker is great cos you can put it on in the morning and that evening your dinner is ready, so all you have to do it serve and eat and do a bit of washing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

You could heat one of those sachets of precooked rice in the steamer, or else make some couscous, just pour on boiling water and let it stand for a few minutes, fluff it up in the steamer and it should soon be ready. If you make fresh pasta from scratch it wouldn't need boiling, just add to stew or sauce in slowcooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

You can do rice in the oven. Put rice in an oven proof bowl. Add enough water so there is about an inch of water above the rice. Cover and bake for 25-30 mins at 180oC. You can add spices or make with stock.
    You can do the same with barley or buckwheat

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

^^+1 -my mother often does rice in the oven. She does curry in the oven too, and seeing as its already on, puts the rice in too.

It also can save on cleaning, as the same bowls of rice & curry go direct on the table for people to get more if they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Wrap some fish in tin foil along with butter, lemon juice and herbs. Serve with chips, or roast potatoes and roast veg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I love chorizo chicken from the cooking club. Now you do need to fry up the chorizo to release the oils but I'd say you could grill them on a clean grill tray and tip the juices into the bowl of rice, chicken and chorizo to oven cook.

For a very quick and easy dinner I love pasta bake, it's a home pride jar of sauce that you tip onto dry pasta in an oven dish and add water. You could add what veg you want, chopped up chicken breast, grilled chopped up rashers. A sprinkle of cheese on top when it's nearly all cooked. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

For pasta, you could make a lasagne or canelloni?

You could roast some vegetables (courgettes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, tomatoes, aubergines) in the oven, then blitz or mash them into a sauce.
    Keep it on the liquid side, layer it up with pasta sheets, cover with kitchen foil and oven bake for some 30 minutes or so, until the pasta is soft.
    Sprinkle on cheese and pop back in under the grill until the cheese is melted and crispy.

Advertisement