Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

buggawugga wrote: »
    2. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate

TBH you have more to fear from overhydrating- drink to thirst and you'll be fine don't drown yourself in fluids....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

drquirky wrote: »
    TBH you have more to fear from overhydrating- drink to thirst and you'll be fine don't drown yourself in fluids....
    +100000000000000000000000000

The dr has spoken => nothing more to say on this subject!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

drquirky wrote: »
    +100000000000000000000000000

The dr has spoken => nothing more to say on this subject!

As a person who has experienced this in recent times I totally agree with the above.

If you are drinking a lot of water the day before, take a dioralyte sachet to keep your salts/electrolytes topped up for race day.

An alternative is an isotonic drink. On the day, don't drink for the sake of drinking, only if thirsty. Maybe carry some high 5 tablets to drop into water bottles or else use some lucozade sport on the route if you feel your face getting salty! Drinking too much and not replenishing salts is bad news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

You're probably right. I'm a first timer also and was not trying to frighten anyone. On the other hand it can serve as a reminder to us all that if we don't do the right things on the day then this may be the outcome.
    eg: 1. Don't start too quick and watch our pacing.
    2. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
    3. Follow a sensible fueling strategy. etc.
    Now gl on Monday ya moaney fecker. :D:D

This, to me, is the most important. I first did DCM in 2011 and part of the advice posted on the novice thread at that time was simply 'run within yourself' (digger if I remember correctly). For some reason it stuck in my head and it was a factor when I was choosing what pace group to go with. Thoroughly enjoyed the day and believe it was as a result of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    . On the day, don't drink for the sake of drinking, only if thirsty. Maybe carry some high 5 tablets to drop into water bottles or else use some lucozade sport on the route if you feel your face getting salty! Drinking too much and not replenishing salts is bad news.

Only drink when thirsty during the marathon??! Madness!

Drink little and drink often. Above all else don't let yourself get thirsty

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »

Any research to substantiate that?

http://www.aimsworldrunning.org/guidelines_fluid_replacement.htm :P

How much should you drink?
    Drinking too much or too little can be of risk to health and performance. Hyponatremia ( low blood salt level due to abnormal fluid retention from overdrinking) and dehydration (due to net fluid losses from under drinking) are conditions easily adverted by understanding your individual body needs. Just as you have a unique face and fingerprint, your body’s need for fluid is individual as well. Body weight, gender, climate, sweat rate are just a few variables that individualize your needs. Understanding that it is normal to lose a small amount of bodyweight during a marathon race: bodyweight will re-equilibrate over the next 24 hours through the consumption of sodium and fluids with meals. A weight loss of more than 2% or any weight gain are warning signs that justify immediate medical consultation and indicate that you are drinking improperly.

We offer the following ideas and guidelines for you to consider as you assess your individual fluids:

Try to drink to thirst. This advice seems way too simple to be true; however, physiologically the new scientific evidence says that thirst will actually protect athletes from the hazards of both over and underdrinking by providing real time feedback on internal fluid balance. If you are not thirsty, try to refrain from drinking. Do not feel compelled to drink at every fluid station nor follow the cues of other runners: their fluid needs are probably very different from your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Drinking too much or too little can be of risk to health and performance. Hyponatremia ( low blood salt level due to abnormal fluid retention from overdrinking) and dehydration (due to net fluid losses from under drinking) are conditions easily adverted by understanding your individual body needs. Just as you have a unique face and fingerprint, your body’s need for fluid is individual as well. Body weight, gender, climate, sweat rate are just a few variables that individualize your needs. Understanding that it is normal to lose a small amount of bodyweight during a marathon race: bodyweight will re-equilibrate over the next 24 hours through the consumption of sodium and fluids with meals. A weight loss of more than 2% or any weight gain are warning signs that justify immediate medical consultation and indicate that you are drinking improperly.

We offer the following ideas and guidelines for you to consider as you assess your individual fluids:

Try to drink to thirst. This advice seems way too simple to be true; however, physiologically the new scientific evidence says that thirst will actually protect athletes from the hazards of both over and underdrinking by providing real time feedback on internal fluid balance. If you are not thirsty, try to refrain from drinking. Do not feel compelled to drink at every fluid station nor follow the cues of other runners: their fluid needs are probably very different from your own.

Burn! Case closed! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 buggawugga

http://cdn.arwrath.com/8/85340.jpg
    The secret to marathon training is hydration. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

The last sentence busts that theory.

Everyone is different and for first time marathoners the sensible advice is surely to drink a little, regularly.

But if you are happy to advise your crew to wait till thirsty then that's your Prerogative :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

I agree with Gavlor, drinking little and often is the most sensible approach.

Little and often means you're in no danger of over hydrating yet you're maintaining a even balance and not in danger of even beginning to dehydrate which could happen if you wait for the thirst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Id imagine at this stage that people have figured what works best for them from their long runs, I wouldn't deviate much from that strategy if you haven't had problems, completely reinventing the wheel on marathon day is asking for trouble. Trust in your preparation and once the conditions aren't off the wall use what has worked already rather than stressing over anecdotes.

The last sentence busts that theory.

Everyone is different and for first time marathoners the sensible advice is surely to drink a little, regularly.

But if you are happy to advise your crew to wait till thirsty then that's your Prerogative :)
    Do not feel compelled to drink at every fluid station nor follow the cues of other runners: their fluid needs are probably very different from your own.
    How so? Did you read the article or just the bit I quoted?

Here's another bit in case you didn't:
    The reader should understand that there are individual variations: “one size does not fit all”. We endorse thirst as the best scientifically supported method for you to use.

Anyhow I have presented my case. If people disagree with me they can proceed as they see fit. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fruit pastille

Is it not Monday yet. Itching to get out for a run. Starting to lay out my gear. I feel like I'm packing for a 3 week holiday not a 4 hour (and 20 minute :-) ) run

For anyone who's driving: Pre book online @ http://www.parkrite.ie/

8 euro for day long pass in IFSC carpark (commons street)
    10 euro all day rate in Fleet St

on Monday 28th.

Last year they had discount vouchers @ the expo as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBBkcv-3BX8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Dublin marathon just posted on Facebook- its not a scary one!

For anyone who's driving: Pre book online @ http://www.parkrite.ie/

8 euro for day long pass in IFSC carpark (commons street)
    10 euro all day rate in Fleet St

on Monday 28th.

Last year they had discount vouchers @ the expo as well

Free on street parking in town since its a bank holiday as well:)

Free on street parking in town since its a bank holiday as well:)

Cheers little ears :D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBBkcv-3BX8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Dublin marathon just posted on Facebook- its not a scary one!

That's great stuff to watch, gave me goosebumps and I've done the 2011 marathon!! ROLL ON MONDAY

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Weather Update attached - not looking good.

Any suggestions on how this will impact clothing, blisters, chafing etc.. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Zaram

SnailsPace wrote: »

Oh NO............

• Advertisement

Say it ain't so....

Thought we weren't supposed to post scary stuff on here: ;)
    At least that's the hydration issue sorted. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

really couldn't be any worse:rolleyes:
    Anyways, nothing we can do about it except accept it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Ososlo wrote: »
    Anyways, nothing we can do about it except accept it

The worst of that system will be south of Ireland and pass over the south of England. Will be wet but hopefully we'll miss out on the worst of the wind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Ososlo wrote: »
    I don't know,I've seen her wearing worse outfits than that.

http://beaut.ie/tag/waterproof-makeup/

The weather situation is changing with every model run - it'll most likely be all over the place for another day or two before it becomes anyway reliable. No point in worrying about it - you'll forget about it as soon as you get underway and just roll with whatever is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If it is wet (and it's much too soon to tell, but if it is)
    - make sure you have a lot of Bodyglide/vaseline on everywhere your clothes rub against your skin. Wet clothes cling more, chafe more, and will hurt like hell after a while. Lube up!
    - men, make triple sure your nips are protected. Plaster, tape, nipguards, whatever - but avoid the bloody chested look
    - pack a complete set of dry clothes in your bag, and double-bag them to make sure they stay dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

knew there was something i meant to buy:(
    Well I'll be wearing it anyways so expect to have no face left by the end:D I won't recognise myself:D

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    If it is wet (and it's much too soon to tell, but if it is)
    - make sure you have a lot of Bodyglide/vaseline on everywhere your clothes rub against your skin. Wet clothes cling more, chafe more, and will hurt like hell after a while. Lube up!
    - men, make triple sure your nips are protected. Plaster, tape, nipguards, whatever - but avoid the bloody chested look
    - pack a complete set of dry clothes in your bag, and double-bag them to make sure they stay dry

Make sure to have dry runners in your bag too - did Achill half in late August in torrential rain & it took my runners about 3 days to dry out.

Advertisement