Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

RayCun wrote: »
    If it is wet (and it's much too soon to tell, but if it is)
    - make sure you have a lot of Bodyglide/vaseline on everywhere your clothes rub against your skin. Wet clothes cling more, chafe more, and will hurt like hell after a while. Lube up!

I've never had chafing to deal with except a tiny bit once when it was really hot and I was sweating an awful lot. If I lube up, will the vaseline or whatever be effective for the full 4 hours or would the ideal thing be to bring it with me? I have like 55 pockets in my shorts so I could bring a tiny bit in a tiny jar. They're gonna love this question over on the Non-DCM thread on the main forum:D It's a genuine question though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Ososlo wrote: »
    I've never had chafing to deal with except a tiny bit once when it was really hot and I was sweating an awful lot. If I lube up, will the vaseline or whatever be effective for the full 4 hours or would the ideal thing be to bring it with me? I have like 55 pockets in my shorts so I could bring a tiny bit in a tiny jar. They're gonna love this question over on the Non-DCM thread on the main forum:D It's a genuine question though.

I've never had a problem with Bodyglide wearing off.
    The St Johns ambulance guys around the course have vaseline afaik, if you're ever stuck, better than carrying it with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I used bodyglide (can buy it at the expo) the last two years. Found it much better than Vaseline & kinder to your clothes too. Applied li liberally and it lasted fine. Was quite wet for my last 6 miles or so in 2011 but no I'll effects. Everyone is different but I wouldn't like to be stopping to reapply.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 buggawugga

If it is wet (and it's much too soon to tell, but if it is)
    - make sure you have a lot of Bodyglide/vaseline on everywhere your clothes rub against your skin. Wet clothes cling more, chafe more, and will hurt like hell after a while. Lube up!
    - men, make triple sure your nips are protected. Plaster, tape, nipguards, whatever - but avoid the bloody chested look
    - pack a complete set of dry clothes in your bag, and double-bag them to make sure they stay dry
    One could have so much fun with these quotes. Gotta stop trollin':D

buggawugga wrote: »
    One could have so much fun with these quotes. Gotta stop trollin':D

not another one :rolleyes: You know Gavlor by any chance?

• Advertisement

kit3 wrote: »
    Make sure to have dry runners too - did Achill half in late August in torrential rain & it took my runners about 3 days to dry out.

it took me about 10 minutes to understand what you meant! How could you make sure to have dry runners if running in torrential rain:confused:
    Maybe I need to go to bed:o

• Registered Users Posts: 37 buggawugga

Not yet. Might be a dangerous combo.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I have been biting my tongue for the past half hour!!

Seriously though, don't go filling all those pockets with unnessacary bits and pieces

Gavlor wrote: »
    I have been biting my tongue for the past half hour!!

Seriously though, don't go filling all those pockets with unnessacary bits and pieces

knew you'd be along! I'll only have about 40 of them filled ;) so plenty of room for more stuff.

A tip for Monday ... If the run doesn't work out for any reason, bring a 20 or 50 euro note with you to get a taxi if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and have to get back to the finish line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

knew you'd be along! I'll only have about 40 of them filled ;) so plenty of room for more stuff.

A tip for Monday ... If the run doesn't work out for any reason, bring a 20 or 50 euro note with you to get a taxi if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and have to get back to the finish line.

Nope, don't bother with a get out of jail free card. It'll make it easier for you to quit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Wouldn't do that.
    The only reason I didn't quit going down the N11 in my first was because I was carrying no cash. I am glad I didn't get that bus in retrospect.
    If you are really injured or badly suffering there are loads of marshalls and ambulances that will make sure you make it back to the finish area.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Nope, don't bother with a get out of jail free card. It'll make it easier for you to quit
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Wouldn't do that.
    The only reason I didn't quit going down the N11 in my first was because I was carrying no cash. I am glad I didn't get that bus in retrospect.
    If you are really injured or badly suffering there are loads of marshalls and ambulances that will make sure you make it back to the finish area.

yeah in hindsight, guess you guys have a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

SamforMayo wrote: »
    What part of the country are they in? There are bound to be people travelling from all areas to Dublin at the weekend? Im travelling from Mayo Sunday if that's any use?

Thanks so much for the offer! Headed out to AK last night and got myself a new pair, which I have now run 5 miles in, hmmmm, been wearing them around the house a lot though, and got a good tip about swapping insoles.
    The mammy might be visiting at the wknd and she'll bring them if she is.
    I was encouraging her to visit (hint, hint, support please), and she said,
    'But sure you'll be busy running all day Monday..'
    Not ALL DAY mother, please God, not all day . . .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Well it all feels very real today, last run done tonight before the big day, club photo done of everyone doing the marathon, people in work wishing me luck etc.. Feeling good overall, a bit apprehensive but looking forward to the experience.

Legs feel good overall, couple of minor niggles but nothing that's bothering me. Actually my neck has been bothering me more than my legs for the past week, don't know if it's just the stress of waiting for next Monday but it's never bothered me like it is at the moment. Hopefully the few days of relaxing will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Physio says Yes! I'm good to go for Monday. Now that I am over the tendonitis, all I'm worried about is the rain and the nipples. Is bodyglide the best answer? Plasters and tape have always fallen off on me.

Physio says Yes! I'm good to go for Monday. Now that I am over the tendonitis, all I'm worried about is the rain and the nipples. Is bodyglide the best answer? Plasters and tape have always fallen off on me.

I go for an X of tape. Bodyglide wouldn't be enough for the niples

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

If nothing else works, simply cut two circles out of your running top.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭rob w

Only 72 more hours to wait.... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Working through a 3 day course of anti biotics at the moment to try and clear this crap! Come on drugs. Do you thing! Faster! Faster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Have a busy and long day in work today then flight back in the morning. Looking forward to getting the show on the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

I go for an X of tape. Bodyglide wouldn't be enough for the niples

Any particular brand or type of tape??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭rob w

Woden wrote: »
    Have a busy and long day in work today then flight back in the morning. Looking forward to getting the show on the road!

Plenty of rest when your back and ill sure you'll be good to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

Bulmers74 wrote: »

Eye patch plasters, the only thing that works for me!

Bulmers74 wrote: »

Micropore tape/bandage tape. Whatever brand they have in the chemist :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Avoid Duck Tape :-p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Avoid Duck Tape :-p

OUCH!!!!! :D I feel sick thinking about that!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Right, I'm a bit of a (very) hairy-chested specimen. To my monkey-like brothers, what is your nipple protection of choice. Plasters won't last a mile unless a bit of a shave in that area is done.

Also, where can I buy bodyglide? I presume we are talking about liberal application to nipples, thighs and underarms. Anywhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Also, where can I buy bodyglide? I presume we are talking about liberal application to nipples, thighs and underarms. Anywhere else?

Any decent running/sports shop should have it. Put on your stomach, where the band of your shorts sit, and your feet too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

RubyK wrote: »
    Any decent running/sports shop should have it. Put on your stomach, where the band of your shorts sit, and your feet too.

Thanks, to clarify...all over my feet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Vico1612

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Right, I'm a bit of a (very) hairy-chested specimen. To my monkey-like brothers, what is your nipple protection of choice. Plasters won't last a mile unless a bit of a shave in that area is done.

Same here ... [ Ladies please look away now ]
    I've done a bit of 'nip trim' and bodyglide does the trick for me [ got it in AK in Ashtown ]

Advertisement