Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Thanks, to clarify...all over my feet?

Personally, any areas I find I'm prone to blisters/rubbing, so I put in on the top of my toes, and a the side of both big toes :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I've been using Vaseline on my long runs, and it works fine.

Put it on all the usual spots as mentioned above, also on your back at waist level, especially if you are wearing a belt. I found I got scratched to the point of bleeding from using the belt, especially if carrying a lot in it. Might make sense to put a plaster there if it's already scratched.

[Ladies look away again] Also lads, don't forget the.... erm.... bag. The first time I ever ran a long-ish run and didn't cover it in Vaseline was horrendous when I hopped in the shower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

RubyK wrote: »
    Personally, any areas I find I'm prone to blisters/rubbing, so I put in on the top of my toes, and a the side of both big toes :)
    I also put it on my in-step and the side of the toe nearest my big toe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Definitely worth doing all this, especially if rain is in the forecast. You'll know your worst chafing spots from your long runs already, but if you haven't done any of these long runs in the rain, you won't appreciate how much worse the effects can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

Today it feels real. I think because I've run my last run this morning before work. My stomach is in bits with butterflies since... Eeeeeek! Excited and nervous and anxious and starting to panic about everthing now.

I sneezed three times today and have convinced myself I have a cold now. GET A GRIP JOHN!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

Does anyone who was at last year's Expo remember if they sell Torq gels there? I've been trying in vain to get these at short notice as I'm sick of the GU ones. Also - this year I plan to run without a belt and water bottles and just maybe an armband to hold the gels (not much pocket room)- if I remember correctly they do sell this type of gear at the expo as well don't they?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

quinlivan wrote: »
    Today it feels real. I think because I've run my last run this morning before work. My stomach is in bits with butterflies since... Eeeeeek! Excited and nervous and anxious and starting to panic about everthing now.

I sneezed three times today and have convinced myself I have a cold now. GET A GRIP JOHN!

Ditto. Was saying to someone that all this week I have the feeling I get on the morning of a 10k. So if I feel like that already, what'll I be like on Monday morning? :eek:

Does anyone who was at last year's Expo remember if they sell Torq gels there? I've been trying in vain to get these at short notice as I'm sick of the GU ones. Also - this year I plan to run without a belt and water bottles and just maybe an armband to hold the gels (not much pocket room)- if I remember correctly they do sell this type of gear at the expo as well don't they?
    I wouldn't do that unless you've run with an armband for practice. I bought one from wiggle last year but never wore it because it was so annoying - kept slipping down. If I remember right Blockic said the same about the one he wore in DCM last year and he had used it on long runs previously. You could always pin your gels to your shorts. Not sure how well that works though and marathon day is not the day to be experimenting. Maybe just stick with the belt

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

cant believe after all the training the big day is nearly upon us, i for one am really looking forward to it which, when you think about it is quiet weird seeing that the amount of pain i will be putting my body through! No matter how i do on Monday, this marathon training has made a huge difference to my life for the better, this time last year i weighed 106kg and jumping on the scales this morning i am 89.5kg, so first and foremost the big thing for me is to enjoy the day, as they say you can only do your first marathon once. I have always gone out running but my problem up until this year was to consistently keep it going over the whole year and this is the first time i have done that.

Seeing that i wont be on boards much over the weekend and i will be too hung-over on Tuesday i would like to thank everyone in this thread but especially Career_move for the help, motivation and tips given out in this thread, C_m must have great patience to answer all questions no matter how stupid.

Best of luck to everyone on Monday. I think this quote is great "the miracle isn't that i finished. The miracle is that i had the courage to start". Finishing work in an hour so its the final countdown now.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 niamhpamela

My office should just give me the afternoon off as I'm having a negative productivity effect - I'm doing no work and just talking to everyone about my marathon so stopping them doing any work :-D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Looking forward to spending tomorrow wondering if I have everything packed for Sunday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Time for me to sign off the interweb for a few days , I need to relax and enjoy the final hours before D Day :-)

Also time to say a huge thanks to CM and everybody who has contributed to this thread : a lot of great info which will help me on Monday !
    I am relaxed [ for now ? ] as I have trained hard for this since may so I know that Monday is pay day !
    I'll be racing the distance, not the clock ...
    I'm feeling even better now after hearing that my friends daughter ,who has been fighting leukemia and is my running inspiration, is now well enough to join her school trip this week end !
    Have a great race everybody !
    Back online Tuesday for race report ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Best of luck to all of you guys on Monday, I was part of the group for 2012 so have enjoyed reading this thread as its developed. Try not to be nervous about Monday, 26.2 is only an arbitrary number at the end of the day. You are all very well prepared thanks to Career Move (legend), so go out and get whatever you can out of yourself on the day and make sure you take the atmosphere in and enjoy it, DCM is a great great experience that will hopefully leave you itching for more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

"AHHHHHHHH I'M RUNNING A MARATHON ON MONDAY!!!!!!!!!"

Sorry, as you were boardies, it just keeps sneaking up on me and the realisation of it is terrifying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 al984

Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice on what pacers I should run with on Monday I have been sick all week and my last run was over a week but thankfully Im well enough to run on Monday. I had hoped to go for 3:55 but with having to take it easy lately im worried I might not get the pace right and end having a dire last 6 or 7 miles.

Thanks

al984 wrote: »
    Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice on what pacers I should run with on Monday I have been sick all week and my last run was over a week but thankfully Im well enough to run on Monday. I had hoped to go for 3:55 but with having to take it easy lately im worried I might not get the pace right and end having a dire last 6 or 7 miles.

Thanks
    Good to hear you're well enough for Monday. Remind me again of how your training went? No of 18m + lsrs? Pace of lsrs? Midweek mileage and pace? Most recent race time and how it went?

My training has been pretty consistent since July usually doing one gym session, one short run 4 miles, one medium run 6-8 miler and one long run at the weekends, my longest run was 17.5 miles (done 2 of these) the last one about 9 days ago and that took 2hr:37

in the last month or so I have done 2 half marathons in athlone and Dublin also did the race series 10 miler in august.

Good to hear you're well enough for Monday. Remind me again of how your training went? No of 18m + lsrs? Pace of lsrs? Midweek mileage and pace? Most recent race time and how it went?

Ment to add my half marathon race times were 1:49 for athlone and 1:53 for Dublin the 10 miler in the race series was 1:19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Best of luck to everyone on Monday. I am majorly jealous of all ye doing this thinking this should have been where I am now too if it hadn't been for the half marathon injury. Although in all honesty I have to admit a part of me is relieved not to be doing it coz I'd be absolutely ****ting myself right now if I was - but I guess I wouldn't feel like that if I had all the work behind me....as you all do....so ye'll be grand

I might be on the sidelines in the last mile or two giving my encouragement.

Good luck to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

My training has been pretty consistent since July usually doing one gym session, one short run 4 miles, one medium run 6-8 miler and one long run at the weekends, my longest run was 17.5 miles (done 2 of these) the last one about 9 days ago and that took 2hr:37

in the last month or so I have done 2 half marathons in athlone and Dublin also did the race series 10 miler in august.

I would just jog around it to make sure you get around and enjoy it... Tbh your training hasn't been enough to be worrying about any time goals. Pretty sure this advise has been given to you in another thread, no?

• Advertisement

Ment to add my half marathon race times were 1:49 for athlone and 1:53 for Dublin the 10 miler in the race series was 1:19

Right well you have good race experience but I think even if you hadn't been sick this past week 3:55 would have been a stretch for you because looking at your training endurance is going to be an issue. You really need to do at least one 20m run before a marathon to be confident that you will be able to run the whole way. The run you did 9 days ago was at 8:58 pace which was too fast and it takes 4 - 6 weeks for your body to adapt and improve after a long run. I'm guessing the rest of your training/lsrs were also at this pace so your body hasn't had the proper stimulus for using fat as an energy source which means you're at a high risk of hitting the wall at/before 20 miles.

My advice would be to go with the 4:30 pacers. You'll feel like you're going way too slow early on but that's good because it means you're conserving valuable energy that you will need after 20 miles. You'll enjoy the marathon much more this way and you'll be able to have the craic with the extremely good looking 4:30 pacers :D For your next marathon then you can go for the sub 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

With those half times you wouldn't be a mile away from a 3.55 but lack of 20 milers in training would most likely catch you out. Maybe go out with the 4:20 pace group, enjoy the experience and kick on in the last 5 miles if you feel strong to leave good positive thoughts in your head for the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

the extremely good looking 4:10 pacers

Just FYP CM ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You'll enjoy the marathon much more this way and you'll be able to have the craic with the extremely good looking 4:30 pacers :D For your next marathon then you can go for the sub 4

4:30
    ultraman1
    Kurt Godel
    66_Lad

He's in for a surprise if he believes you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Just FYP CM ;)

Yes i see Keamore Hill has been bumped up to 4:10 ;)

Thanks for the advice guys I agree my goal time has gone out the window a long time ago for now I just want to get around in one piece without hitting the wall and I can gear up for another go next year. At 4:30 pace I should be able to jog my way around without been carried over the line :)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Just FYP CM ;)

Oh I thought the 4:10's were the O.A.Ps (old aged pacers)

:D

Thanks for the advice guys I agree my goal time has gone out the window a long time ago for now I just want to get around in one piece without hitting the wall and I can gear up for another go next year. At 4:30 pace I should be able to jog my way around without been carried over the line :)

Just a thought as its my first marathon would I still not be at risk of hitting the wall even by jogging around at 4:30 pace

Just a thought as its my first marathon would I still not be at risk of hitting the wall even by jogging around at 4:30 pace

Yes you may hit the wall even at 4:30 pace so take gels as often and as early as you can (within reason of course) but if you went at a faster pace you would slam into the wall head first and end up on your ass ;)

To be honest I think you'll be grand at that pace. My cousin had done similar training to you and finished a hilly marathon about a month ago in 4:40 by running conservatively

• Advertisement

Just putting the latest copy of the table up - can everyone who wants to be on it please check that they are, and that the times are correct? Let me know of any additions/changes/(hopefully no deletions!) and I'll fix it up, thanks!

al984, do you want to be added?

Username|Est. Time|Comments|Act. Time
    Geekington|03:14:59|First marathon, first goal is finish and enjoy and secondary goal is to do my best to finish below 3.15|
    wowzer|03:19:59|first marathon and just want to try and enjoy it as much as possible.|
    JoeyRamone|03:20:00|hoping for 3.20 ish! Thanks and goodluck to all|
    skeleton_boy |03:29:59| To get home in one piece is the main thing. Time would be an added bonus.|
    Bulmers74|03.29:59| First marathon - can't wait for the wave of emotion & buzz on crossing the finish line. Can analyse time & mistakes much, much later.|
    Carlow2011|03.29:59|first marathon, nervous as hell but haven't been as excited in such a long time. Bring it on!!|
    ooter|03:30:00|first marathon so just want to enjoy it,slow and steady. :-)|
    barryoneill50|03:39:59|First marathon, training went well|
    imknackered|03:40:00|Second marathon for me, 4:14 first time around, went out too quickly and had to walk/run the last 6-7 miles. Im going for 3:40 this time around after much better training and preparation.|
    galwayspur|03:40:00|Second running of DCM, 3:44 in 2010. Feeling good this time, not convinced I'll go sub 3:40 but will cling to the pacers for as long as I can.|
    Woden|03:44:59|First marathon. Primary goal to finish. Under 4 hours would be good. Target 3:45 based on recent half would be great!|
    lmguillou|03:45:00|3h45 would make me very happy, this is my second marathon did 3h58 in 2009.|
    BarneyJ|03:45:00|One previous marathon in 2001 with a time of 4h 5 mins. Sub 3h45 would be nice!|
    Pointer28|03:49:59|First marathon - originally training for 3:30 but the wheels fell off that wagon quite spectacularly in the last fortnight.
    Donnacha|03:49:59|1st Marathon - Finish is the real goal after missing 4 wks training, I had dreamt of a sub 03:50 time prior to my knee issues - gonna still give the dream finish a lash|
    Sammo13|03:50:00|First marathon, really looking forward to getting this run done|
    Martyboy48|03:49:59|run strong comfortable marathon is the plan, see the sights :), probably end up in a heap :D|
    MiketheMechanic|03:49:59|Second marathon - hopefully I can stick to the plan and stay with the 3.50 pacers all the way round|
    gibberish37|03:54:54|(First Marathon.. Goal is to soak it all up, enjoy every second of it and aim for that sub 4 hours and will not be dissappointed if I miss it.. |
    086Jazzy|03:55:00|First time marathoner. Hoping for 3hr 55m. Plan to start with 4hr pacers and take it from there. Either way plan is to finish and not blow up half way round.|
    npresto|03:59:59|Second Marathon. Unfinished business. Followed this thread last year. Missed out on sub 4hrs by 14 secs. Plan to stick with 4hr pacers and if feeling up to it I'll try to push on at 20 miles.|
    observer2u|03:59:00|First marathon - could be pushed to make it or the competitiveness might push me on!|
    Niamhpamela|03:59:59|Would settle for crossing the finish line with my sister under 4:30|
    JMCC99_98|03:59:59|First Marathon - Hope to get under 4hr but happy with sub 4:20|
    scheister|03:59:59|First marathon, would love to get under the 4 hour mark but will be thrilled to cross the line whatever happens|
    Ger34|03:59:59|Will be a miracle(are you listening God)03:56:xx in Kildare 2011 but I am 2 years older now(excuse prepared)|
    cluainbolg|03:59:59|Second marathon first done in 4 12 ill be smiling from ear to ear if I get in under 4hrs this time|
    Ssshhh123|03:59:59|First time marathon as everyone above goal 1 is to finish goal 2 is under 3hr59min59secs. Main thing is enjoy it finish it.|
    rob w|03:59:59|First marathon too, so 4 hours would be amazing, but whether its 4 or 40 it'll be a PB...Win/Win! ;)|
    quinlivan|03:59:59|3:45 is my super-amazing-goal time, sub 4:00 ideally but overall, as long as I cross the finish line I'll have a big happy head on me|
    fraggle00|04:00:00| I was on track until damaging my knee but I hope to have recovered in time|
    Skidrow|04:09:59|Not my first but hoping it will be my best:)|
    SamForMayo |04:10:00| Im hoping to finishing in one piece and enjoy it!|
    Ososlo|04:10:00|Can't wait! BRING IT ON!|
    Rainrunner|04:10:00|I'd love to beat 4:10 but happy to finish.|
    Zaram|04:10:00|never thought I would do one so hope to enjoy it|
    Colostomy Bag|04:18:00|2nd DCM, achieved 4h28m last year.|
    overthebridge|04:20:00|1st marathon. Aim is to finish but I'd be happy to get under 4.20|
    Izoard|04:20:00|Pacer! Hope everyone hits their goals - gonna be great!
    dcorcaigh|04:20:00|It will be my first marathon so i want to enjoy it and also be in a fit state to enjoy the pints afterwards|
    fruit pastille|04:20:00|run, enjoy, don't fall over and look back with pride.|
    Vico1612|04:26:03|First timer who wants to beat his wife's DCM2012 time by 1 second :-)
    SnailsPace|04:29:58|2nd Marathon. Target for first one was 4:30 . Did it in 4:30:02, FFS 2 seconds !! Unfinished business with DCM.|
    Shortstuff!|04:29:59|Finish in one piece 1st & foremost with a smile on my face hopefully:) more likely to be a blubbering/hyperventilating mess though!|
    Futureguy|04:29:59|My goal is to finish. Would be a dream to get under 4:29:59.|
    pansophelia|04:29:59|starting with the 4.30 pacers and I'll see how it goes after that - will probably get a few funny looks asking people 'are you a boardsie?|
    RoddyLarge|04:30:00|Just to finish, 20 miles nearly killed me but I am determined, and stubborn :-)|
    Shay95480|04:30:00|firstimer so just hopin to finish in one piece.|
    PauloMN|04:30:00|but happy just to finish in one piece. I'm the one swearing every step from mile 20 onwards.|
    AlsoRan|04:30:00|But anything under 4h 45 would be fine, I want to finish hopefully smiling!|
    shayno90|04:30:00|Ideally to finish at this time but completing the marathon is the most important thing|
    buggawugga|04:30:00|When I started out on DCM plan I had hoped for sub 4 hr but with missed training and couple of niggles I'll just be happy to finish.|
    Jasonbourne.cs|04:30:00|First Marathon aiming to finish in one piece and i'd be happy|
    Dow99|04:39:59|"HOLY Sh*T, I'M RUNNING A MARATHON IN 5 DAYS TIME!!|
    slowandsteady|04:45:00|First timer, longest run 18.5 Miles, hoping for 4:45 finish but will just be happy to finish.|
    roseypo|04:50:00|Trying madly not to focus on a time and just try to enjoy the experience..
    PatsyPantaloni|04:59:59|First marathon, would love to get under the five hour mark but will be thrilled to cross the line whatever happens|

Advertisement