Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 al984

Yes you may hit the wall even at 4:30 pace so take gels as often and as early as you can but if you went at a faster pace you would slam into the wall head first and end up on your ass ;)

To be honest I think you'll be grand at that pace. My cousin had done similar training to you and finished a hilly marathon about a month ago in 4:40 by running conservatively

Thanks for all the advice CM hoping to go out and enjoy the marathon do a decent 4:30 with a strong finish and come back better next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Anyone know how long to leave immac/veet on? :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭donnacha

Weekend shopping done :P

dyx9c5.jpg

20hsn0g.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

I know it's been asked a thousand times already but I now need someone else to pick up my race pack,what documents does he need?
    I was really looking forward to the expo as well(bloody work):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

ger34 wrote: »
    I know it's been asked a thousand times already but I now need someone else to pick up my race pack,what documents does he need?
    I was really looking forward to the expo as well(bloody work):)

Acceptance slip and letter from you. Both signed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Anyone know how long to leave immac/veet on? :-/
    :eek:
    MaleWaxingSteveCarrell.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

I spotted this on Facebook. I think it's nicer than last years medal:

10481019904_b179331f9e_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

That is nice, surprised no Airtricity - probably designed before the sponsorship announced.

#jealous

I get the Jim Larkin & convention centre reference but why is there a Ferris wheel & Pyramid on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

That is nice, surprised no Airtricity - probably designed before the sponsorship announced.

#jealous

I get the Jim Larkin & convention centre reference but why is there a Ferris wheel & Pyramid on it though.

I'll take a wild guess and say its Ulster Banks headquarters building.
    It is one of the feature buildings in Dublin but I maybe wrong.
    Ferris Wheel is another feature.
    Dublin marathon medals/Plaques have always featured Dublin sites etc.
    Ha'penny Bridge was on a Plaque from years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

after raising 1,000 euro for Pieta House! Can't believe how generous people have been. Wasn't going to bother raising money but really glad I did now in memory of a work colleague who was himself a great DCM runner. That's 1,000 euro they wouldn't have without my decision to bother. So glad I did now. Yet another great benefit to this running lark.
    Roll on Monday. Gonna be a tough 2 days. Long weekend. No running, no drinking, what's a girl to do:confused:
    foam roll:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

You are so right there - we raised 1200 for our local hospice - my brother in law is the chairman and fighting his own battle at present - everyone has been so generous and as you said Ososlo it was all for the sake of asking - we too are delighted we made the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fruit pastille

All set for a weekend of foam rolling, warm baths, gentle stretching, "minding" myself and generally being a pain in the backside to live with. "Oh no, I can't go out/ push the trolley/ do the hoovering/ butter my own toast. I have a MARATHON on MONDAY. It's very IMPORTANT!!!!"

Last 2 mile done this evening - I felt great after it. Back problem seems to have cleared itself. Even the predicted gale force winds won't faze me now.

Getting excited about going to the expo tomorrow - sad I know.

http://www.chicagonow.com/lists-that-actually-matter/2010/10/top-5-things-to-hate-about-marathon-runners/#image/1

and

http://www.chicagonow.com/lists-that-actually-matter/2011/10/5-more-things-to-hate-about-marathon-runners/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Ososlo wrote: »
    after raising 1,000 euro for Pieta House! Can't believe how generous people have been. Wasn't going to bother raising money but really glad I did now in memory of a work colleague who was himself a great DCM runner. That's 1,000 euro they wouldn't have without my decision to bother. So glad I did now. Yet another great benefit to this running lark.
    Roll on Monday. Gonna be a tough 2 days. Long weekend. No running, no drinking, what's a girl to do:confused:
    foam roll:rolleyes:
    Fair play to you.That's a great cause,and I would have done the same except I hate asking anyone to sponsor me.Stupid I know. congratulations to everyone who has raised cash for their chosen charity's.The pain at the finish line will be made that bit easier,when ye receive that big fat cheque.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭rob w

Is a long sleeve top a bad idea for Monday? I was planning on wearing one (wore it for the HM and plenty of LSRs) but everyone seems to recommend short sleeves! I dont tink it will be overly warm as its not a very heavy one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Just want to wish everyone here the best of luck for Monday. Go out there and enjoy it all, DCM really is an amazing experience, you're in for a fab day! I followed this thread last year and all the advice really stood to me on the day. I was terrified of running too fast in the first half even though I really really wanted to speed up but stayed conservative and was able to enjoy the whole thing as a result.

Oh and girls, I had to queue for the portaloos around 9 miles when I could have been running. I wasn't brave enough to pee behind a tree in phoenix park like many many other ladies were doing and regretted it after - if running this course again I would definitely be one of those ladies ;)

Looking forward to spending next week reading all the race reports :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Runchick wrote: »
    Just want to wish everyone here the best of luck for Monday. Go out there and enjoy it all, DCM really is an amazing experience, you're in for a fab day! I followed this thread last year and all the advice really stood to me on the day. I was terrified of running too fast in the first half even though I really really wanted to speed up but stayed conservative and was able to enjoy the whole thing as a result.

Oh and girls, I had to queue for the portaloos around 9 miles when I could have been running. I wasn't brave enough to pee behind a tree in phoenix park like many many other ladies were doing and regretted it after - if running this course again I would definitely be one of those ladies ;)

Looking forward to spending next week reading all the race reports :D

I was wondering where blockic disappeared to around mile 9......

Runchick wrote: »

Oh and girls, I had to queue for the portaloos around 9 miles when I could have been running. I wasn't brave enough to pee behind a tree in phoenix park like many many other ladies were doing and regretted it after - if running this course again I would definitely be one of those ladies :D
    Brilliant advice runchick thanks! I have no shame so Will go when and where necessary Within reason, but any other good spots you'd recommend?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi all,
    Spent most of yesterday in A+E with the gf - thankfully all is fine.

I missed my 2 mile yesterday. Should I just go out for the 2 mile tomorrow morning instead? Then it's up to Dublin on train and hole up in the hotel. :D

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Spent most of yesterday in A+E with the gf - thankfully all is fine.

I missed my 2 mile yesterday. Should I just go out for the 2 mile tomorrow morning instead? Then it's up to Dublin on train and hole up in the hotel. :D
    Read that bit and my mouth dropped ..... but then I read the rest of the sentence and I'm ashamed to say my first thought was "oh it's only his gf that's ok" :o I am happy everything is fine though ;)

Ya I would do the 2m tomorrow before you get the train

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

I'm guessing tomorrow will be a lot of pasta and chicken for dinner. Do people usually have a late meal before the marathon?

• Advertisement

NoelJ wrote: »
    I'm guessing tomorrow will be a lot of pasta and chicken for dinner. Do people usually have a late meal before the marathon?
    Eat your main meal early on in the day - some people like to have a big lunch the day before, I like to eat before 6 p.m and then if I'm hungry later have a snack like a banana or a handful of cereal like cheerios. If you eat a lot late at night your body will have to spend all night digesting food instead of resting and you may feel sluggish and/or bloated in the morning.

rob w wrote: »
    Is a long sleeve top a bad idea for Monday? I was planning on wearing one (wore it for the HM and plenty of LSRs) but everyone seems to recommend short sleeves! I dont tink it will be overly warm as its not a very heavy one?

I can't really see any advantage to be honest but I'm one of those people who hate sun holidays/being too warm. Both marathons I've done I've worn a singlet and been happy out. Just don't forget to have some warm clothes in your bag because once you finish you will get chilly very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I can't really see any advantage to be honest but I'm one of those people who hate sun holidays/being too warm. Both marathons I've done I've worn a singlet and been happy out. Just don't forget to have some warm clothes in your bag because once you finish you will get chilly very quickly.

I kinda think it depends...Different strokes and all that. If it is good technical fabric that wicks moisture off, shouldn't be a problem- I am a bit odd and tend to get chills in races so if I thought it was gonna be v. cool and windy I would consider it under my singlet(albeit v. light and technical fabric)

drquirky wrote: »
    I kinda think it depends...Different strokes and all that. If it is good technical fabric that wicks moisture off, shouldn't be a problem- I am a bit odd and tend to get chills in races so if I thought it was gonna be v. cool and windy I would consider it under my singlet(albeit v. light and technical fabric)

+ to this. It's a personal thing. I'll be wearing a tech tee under my singlet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    + to this. It's a personal thing. I'll be wearing a tech tee under my singlet.

Wuss! ;)

blockic wrote: »
    Wuss! ;)

How many marathons have I fallen asleep during??!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Jaysus,trying to find the bodyglide at the expo was like trying to find a needle in a haystack.:)

ooter wrote: »
    Jaysus,trying to find the bodyglide at the expo was like trying to find a needle in a haystack.:)

Heading now. Any clues for me?? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭rob w

ooter wrote: »

Same here, I got the last one I saw at the amphibian king stand anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

The stand opp the Irish Runners Mag (far left corner) has/had body glide an hour ago -

Its very busy in there and parking was a mare!!

Advertisement