Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Dow99 wrote: »
    The stand opp the Irish Runners Mag (far left corner) has/had body glide an hour ago -

Its very busy in there and parking was a mare!!

Yeah that's where I got it,3 or 4 left when I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭rob w

drquirky wrote: »
    I kinda think it depends...Different strokes and all that. If it is good technical fabric that wicks moisture off, shouldn't be a problem- I am a bit odd and tend to get chills in races so if I thought it was gonna be v. cool and windy I would consider it under my singlet(albeit v. light and technical fabric)

Thanks for the advice all...think ill just stick with it then....Im just planning on wearing it as its comfortable, not due to weather or temp. Its a good technical fabric so should be fine!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Dow99 wrote: »
    Its very busy in there and parking was a mare!!

It's a bit mad having three events on in the RDS at the same time tbh, especially when you've no choice but to come in and collect your number. Didn't even get to the parking, luckily got a spot outside Ballsbridge Motors and walked across, but the traffic to there was really bad.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

rob w wrote: »
    Is a long sleeve top a bad idea for Monday? I was planning on wearing one (wore it for the HM and plenty of LSRs) but everyone seems to recommend short sleeves! I dont tink it will be overly warm as its not a very heavy one?

Agree with the others, really is a personal preference. I generally wear a long sleeved base layer under my singlet if it's not warm out, based on the forecast for Monday I'll defo be wearing mine.

Wonder what wellies are like to run in lol? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

PauloMN wrote: »

Wonder what wellies are like to run in lol? :D

Heavy ..... I have lots of experience ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Would wearing a base layer rule out the possibility of nipple trouble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Well I had a lovely time at the expo this afternoon. Met my first ever real life Boardsie!! Woo hoo! And it was the lovely Marthastew so a great introduction to the world of real Boardsies:) There were 2 other dudes there and I suspect I might know who one of them is but not sure. Was kind of embarrassing saying "are you MS? I'm Ososlo". The non-boards people thought I was a bit mad I suspect... Anyways, she was very helpful to me and everyone around her and boy was she working hard sorting out pace bands and giving advice. Kudos to those guys giving all their time for free. Except for the free hookers and coke they'll get after tomorrow but I think that's only fair tbh :D
    AK sorted me out with bodyglide and met a nice guy from AKWest and got a great pair of waterproof gloves as I suffer badly from cold hands so my usual 1 euro penny's pair won't be much good if/when it's lashing rain.
    Got dropped at the front and had my number and goodie bag within 10 minutes or less, the volunteers were extremely helpful and wished me well for tomorrow and I had a look around the stand laying out the history of the DCM. Could have stayed there all day. It's like Christmas Day for runners! Nearly got talked into doing a Munich marathon:eek: One step at a time. Met a really nice guy who's going for 3.50 and his longest lsr is 16 miles:eek: Still a very slight throat infection but nothing's gonna stop me now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck to all you Novices on Monday, This time last year it was my first and it was one of the best experiences of my life! You won't forget it! Embrace it and love every moment.

There will be a stage for the most of you when it's going to get tough, very tough...be mentally prepared for it and when it comes power through it. Pain is temporary, the achievement is permanent! Cheesy enough? ;)

Just some tips from past experience.

Those of you who are staying in Hotels etc tomorrow night and are traveling to Dublin. The day before is very important in terms of resting and ensuring you have proper meals, things can tend to get away from you if you travel up, walk around the expo etc. Be sure you still get your 3 meals in and eat properly. no walking around Dublin all day, get the feet up as much as possible. The day will likely drag to a bit so movies/TV etc in the hotel are good options to pass the time.

Those on the 3:30 bus be sure to introduce yourselves on the day, don't be afraid!

In 48 hours, you will all be marathoners! :)

blockic wrote: »

In 48 hours, you will all be marathoners! :)

and we can drink again:D Seriously can't wait for a nice glass of Pinot Grigio!!!!!!
    thanks blockic, you make it sound like a very special experience altogether:)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fruit pastille

Expo got me all reved up. Monday can't come quick enough. Funny about the BodyGlide - I couldn't find it anywhere. Ended up getting it in a local bike shop this afternoon.
    Fairplay to all the volunteers - they were all so helpful.
    Think I'm going to head to the cinema - going stir crazy in the house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nice to meet you today Ososlo ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nice to meet you today Ososlo ;)

lol so it was you. So that's 2 boardsies i've now met! I'd seen a pic of you on here at some point and suspected t'was yerself:)
    So weird to think you're all really real:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Had a lovely time at the expo aswell, besides the terrible traffic... Kept thinking I should just park and run, would be way quicker! Managed to hold myself back to conserve energy;) Met the lovely Marthastew & picked up a 4:30 race band. Found body glide - for anyone going tomorrow, go past the pacers stand on the right, crowd selling the stick (bought that too) & compression gear! Disappointed that the marathon clothing stand were out of everything sized small:( When will they learn that quite a few runners are small? Settled for a cup!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ososlo wrote: »
    lol so it was you. So that's 2 boardsies i've now met! I'd seen a pic of you on here at some point and suspected t'was yerself:)

You did well to avoid him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

I picked up my bib at the expo today. My mate who's running with me on monday got an orange bib and I got a green one but we had planned to run together. I asked the guy with the mic at the info stand if he could change from orange to green and he said nobody can move up or down a zone!

I was under the impression that say for example you had made an error signing up or had gotten injured you could change zone at the expo :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

I wondered if that was Marthastew at the pacers stand! But again, felt a bit silly asking. Was kindly fixed up with a 4.30 pace band, then spent some money in Elverys! No Kinetica cola gels to be found anywhere, oh well.
    Getting more nervous about the whole thing now, I've felt terrible every run for the last few weeks.
    The mammy isn't helping 'It's not too late to pull out you know . . .'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

npresto wrote: »
    I picked up my bib at the expo today. My mate who's running with me on monday got an orange bib and I got a green one but we had planned to run together. I asked the guy with the mic at the info stand if he could change from orange to green and he said nobody can move up or down a zone!

I was under the impression that say for example you had made an error signing up or had gotten injured you could change zone at the expo :(

What times are you targeting?

You can move back a wave no problem and if you want to move up a wave you have to get it changed at the expo

I asked the question today at info stand at expo and was told I couldn't do either!

You can move back a zone no problem. Your friend with an orange bib can start in the green zone. No questions asked. You only need 'permission' (i.e. a sticker) to move up a zone.

drquirky wrote: »
    What times are you targeting?

Sub 4hrs and was planning to run with 4hr pacers in the green zone. My mate now has an orange bib and they will start 10 mins earlier as far as I know.

• Advertisement

I asked the question today at info stand at expo and was told I couldn't do either!

bear in mind the guys are unpaid volunteers and not everyone knows or can be expected to know everything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Ososlo wrote: »

Did you scream when you seen him? :)

Big Logger wrote: »
    Did you scream when you seen him? :)

exciting as it was, i was just about able to contain myself :P just about...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DonKing

Had a great couple of hours at the expo today except for the traffic of course. The reg process was hassle free and quick and that included picking up a buddies number as well. Picked up a nice light under armour cap which hopefully will keep the rain of the glass's.

It was nice to meet Marthastew. Her OH was a big help back in 2012 pacing the 2hr group in the Dublin HM.

I'm going out with the 4:10 pace group and see how I get on.

I'd like to wish everyone the best of luck on Monday and thanks for all the contributions and advice.

Thanks a million
    Donking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I wondered if that was Marthastew at the pacers stand! But again, felt a bit silly asking. Was kindly fixed up with a 4.30 pace band, then spent some money in Elverys! No Kinetica cola gels to be found anywhere, oh well.
    Getting more nervous about the whole thing now, I've felt terrible every run for the last few weeks.
    [HTML]The mammy isn't helping 'It's not too late to pull out you know . . .'[/HTML]

My father must be related to her, he said today Thank God you can give up running for the winter once this is done! Anyways heading to Dublin tomorrow on the 7.40 am train, glad the packing is done! Best of luck to all and thanks a mil for all the advice, hopefully see ye in the pub!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Anyways heading to Dublin tomorrow on the 7.40 am train

Don't forget the clocks go back to night ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Martypk

It`s my birthday today:) Because I missed out on this thread for 4-5 weeks I`ve spent the last 3 hours reading about 60 pages:eek:. My wife cant believe I`m still on it. This could be the first time in years that I`ve stayed sober on my birthday. No bad thing.
    Just wanted to say good luck to everyone for MONDAY. Big Day. Bad luck to anyone that can`t make it. There`ll be other runs in the future to look forward to, so don`t give up. A massive thank you to Career Move and everyone else that contributed their knowledge. Getting the train first thing tomorrow and looking forward to meeting some of you McGrattans:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Martypk

Paulo, can you put me down for 3.40. I`m the eternal optimist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

Which corral are the 4 hr pacers in,orange or green?

• Advertisement

ger34 wrote: »
    Which corral are the 4 hr pacers in,orange or green?
    Green

Advertisement