Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

Green

May move back so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Adding Martypk

Username|Est. Time|Comments|Act. Time
    Geekington|03:14:59|First marathon, first goal is finish and enjoy and secondary goal is to do my best to finish below 3.15|
    wowzer|03:19:59|first marathon and just want to try and enjoy it as much as possible.|
    JoeyRamone|03:20:00|hoping for 3.20 ish! Thanks and goodluck to all|
    skeleton_boy |03:29:59| To get home in one piece is the main thing. Time would be an added bonus.|
    Bulmers74|03.29:59| First marathon - can't wait for the wave of emotion & buzz on crossing the finish line. Can analyse time & mistakes much, much later.|
    Carlow2011|03.29:59|first marathon, nervous as hell but haven't been as excited in such a long time. Bring it on!!|
    ooter|03:30:00|first marathon so just want to enjoy it,slow and steady. :-)|
    barryoneill50|03:39:59|First marathon, training went well|
    imknackered|03:40:00|Second marathon for me, 4:14 first time around, went out too quickly and had to walk/run the last 6-7 miles. Im going for 3:40 this time around after much better training and preparation.|
    galwayspur|03:40:00|Second running of DCM, 3:44 in 2010. Feeling good this time, not convinced I'll go sub 3:40 but will cling to the pacers for as long as I can.|
    Martypk|03:40:00|I`m the eternal optimist|
    Woden|03:44:59|First marathon. Primary goal to finish. Under 4 hours would be good. Target 3:45 based on recent half would be great!|
    lmguillou|03:45:00|3h45 would make me very happy, this is my second marathon did 3h58 in 2009.|
    BarneyJ|03:45:00|One previous marathon in 2001 with a time of 4h 5 mins. Sub 3h45 would be nice!|
    Pointer28|03:49:59|First marathon - originally training for 3:30 but the wheels fell off that wagon quite spectacularly in the last fortnight.
    Donnacha|03:49:59|1st Marathon - Finish is the real goal after missing 4 wks training, I had dreamt of a sub 03:50 time prior to my knee issues - gonna still give the dream finish a lash|
    Sammo13|03:50:00|First marathon, really looking forward to getting this run done|
    Martyboy48|03:49:59|run strong comfortable marathon is the plan, see the sights :), probably end up in a heap :D|
    MiketheMechanic|03:49:59|Second marathon - hopefully I can stick to the plan and stay with the 3.50 pacers all the way round|
    gibberish37|03:54:54|(First Marathon.. Goal is to soak it all up, enjoy every second of it and aim for that sub 4 hours and will not be dissappointed if I miss it.. |
    086Jazzy|03:55:00|First time marathoner. Hoping for 3hr 55m. Plan to start with 4hr pacers and take it from there. Either way plan is to finish and not blow up half way round.|
    npresto|03:59:59|Second Marathon. Unfinished business. Followed this thread last year. Missed out on sub 4hrs by 14 secs. Plan to stick with 4hr pacers and if feeling up to it I'll try to push on at 20 miles.|
    observer2u|03:59:00|First marathon - could be pushed to make it or the competitiveness might push me on!|
    Niamhpamela|03:59:59|Would settle for crossing the finish line with my sister under 4:30|
    JMCC99_98|03:59:59|First Marathon - Hope to get under 4hr but happy with sub 4:20|
    scheister|03:59:59|First marathon, would love to get under the 4 hour mark but will be thrilled to cross the line whatever happens|
    Ger34|03:59:59|Will be a miracle(are you listening God)03:56:xx in Kildare 2011 but I am 2 years older now(excuse prepared)|
    cluainbolg|03:59:59|Second marathon first done in 4 12 ill be smiling from ear to ear if I get in under 4hrs this time|
    Ssshhh123|03:59:59|First time marathon as everyone above goal 1 is to finish goal 2 is under 3hr59min59secs. Main thing is enjoy it finish it.|
    rob w|03:59:59|First marathon too, so 4 hours would be amazing, but whether its 4 or 40 it'll be a PB...Win/Win! ;)|
    quinlivan|03:59:59|3:45 is my super-amazing-goal time, sub 4:00 ideally but overall, as long as I cross the finish line I'll have a big happy head on me|
    fraggle00|04:00:00| I was on track until damaging my knee but I hope to have recovered in time|
    Skidrow|04:09:59|Not my first but hoping it will be my best:)|
    SamForMayo |04:10:00| Im hoping to finishing in one piece and enjoy it!|
    Ososlo|04:10:00|Can't wait! BRING IT ON!|
    Rainrunner|04:10:00|I'd love to beat 4:10 but happy to finish.|
    Zaram|04:10:00|never thought I would do one so hope to enjoy it|
    Colostomy Bag|04:18:00|2nd DCM, achieved 4h28m last year.|
    overthebridge|04:20:00|1st marathon. Aim is to finish but I'd be happy to get under 4.20|
    Izoard|04:20:00|Pacer! Hope everyone hits their goals - gonna be great!
    dcorcaigh|04:20:00|It will be my first marathon so i want to enjoy it and also be in a fit state to enjoy the pints afterwards|
    fruit pastille|04:20:00|run, enjoy, don't fall over and look back with pride.|
    Vico1612|04:26:03|First timer who wants to beat his wife's DCM2012 time by 1 second :-)
    SnailsPace|04:29:58|2nd Marathon. Target for first one was 4:30 . Did it in 4:30:02, FFS 2 seconds !! Unfinished business with DCM.|
    Shortstuff!|04:29:59|Finish in one piece 1st & foremost with a smile on my face hopefully:) more likely to be a blubbering/hyperventilating mess though!|
    Futureguy|04:29:59|My goal is to finish. Would be a dream to get under 4:29:59.|
    pansophelia|04:29:59|starting with the 4.30 pacers and I'll see how it goes after that - will probably get a few funny looks asking people 'are you a boardsie?|
    RoddyLarge|04:30:00|Just to finish, 20 miles nearly killed me but I am determined, and stubborn :-)|
    Shay95480|04:30:00|firstimer so just hopin to finish in one piece.|
    PauloMN|04:30:00|but happy just to finish in one piece. I'm the one swearing every step from mile 20 onwards.|
    AlsoRan|04:30:00|But anything under 4h 45 would be fine, I want to finish hopefully smiling!|
    shayno90|04:30:00|Ideally to finish at this time but completing the marathon is the most important thing|
    buggawugga|04:30:00|When I started out on DCM plan I had hoped for sub 4 hr but with missed training and couple of niggles I'll just be happy to finish.|
    Jasonbourne.cs|04:30:00|First Marathon aiming to finish in one piece and i'd be happy|
    Dow99|04:39:59|"HOLY Sh*T, I'M RUNNING A MARATHON IN 5 DAYS TIME!!|
    slowandsteady|04:45:00|First timer, longest run 18.5 Miles, hoping for 4:45 finish but will just be happy to finish.|
    roseypo|04:50:00|Trying madly not to focus on a time and just try to enjoy the experience..
    PatsyPantaloni|04:59:59|First marathon, would love to get under the five hour mark but will be thrilled to cross the line whatever happens|

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hello. I was at the expo today to register and pick up my number. Just want to make sure everything is in order. In my bag there was the program and a green high vis bib (plus a few leaflets and free samples of course).

There was no Dublin marathon tshirt though, is that normal?

Do I need to bring the bib? It's an rsa one.

There was no bracelet. Someone told me there would be a timing bracelet.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

budgemook wrote: »
    Hello. I was at the expo today to register and pick up my number. Just want to make sure everything is in order. In my bag there was the program and a green high vis bib (plus a few leaflets and free samples of course).

There was no Dublin marathon tshirt though, is that normal?

Do I need to bring the bib? It's an rsa one.

There was no bracelet. Someone told me there would be a timing bracelet.

Thanks

Did you pick up your actual race number? That's all you need. It has a chip in it. You don't need the high viz thing or a bracelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

Well done and a big thanks to all the folks who gave up their time today to run the expo.
    There was a great buzz at the expo today, loads of great gear to look at and info for events to consider for next year.
    From the second you walk in you know this is something special - the guy at the entrance with the mic fielding all sorts of questions from runners - the graffiti wall - helpful advice at all the stalls even if you are not buying anything - talking to randomers about the big day - the battle to get to the pacer stall - the marathon museum.

There was one thing that really got me and left me with a lump in throat - a photo from last year of a female runner wearing a white top nearing the finish. She was raising her hand to cover her mouth to hold back the emotion she was obviously feeling, you could see her eyes were holding back a flood of tears.
    I'm sure that image will be with me over the last few miles on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Looking forward to seeing all this tomorrow ��

Ososlo wrote: »
    Did you pick up your actual race number? That's all you need. It has a chip in it. You don't need the high viz thing or a bracelet.

Just reading the program here so am up to speed.

My number is orange. Oh lordy :-)

lmguillou wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing all this tomorrow ��

I spent a lot of time (and energy!) walking around at the expo today, don't over stay tomorrow.

The closer I got to the RDS the worse the traffic was today.
    Parked near American embassy on Elgin Rd and had only a short walk.

Best of luck to you and your buddy on Monday!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Does anyone know if the Hampton hotel is walking distance to RDS?

rob w wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice all...think ill just stick with it then....Im just planning on wearing it as its comfortable, not due to weather or temp. Its a good technical fabric so should be fine!

I have given up listening to the forecast for Monday - wait till Sunday night/Monnday morning and then decide what to wear.

I was at the expo from 11:40, big crowd there, didn't spot you.

Good luck on Monday.;)

• Advertisement

I've a steak there in the fridge. Was thinking of eating it tomorrow around 6. Not sure if it's a great idea. Would chicken be better? Or just veggies? Will be pasta with it.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Hampton hotel is walking distance to RDS?

Yes it's in donnybrook so I'd say 10min walk

budgemook wrote: »
    I've a steak there in the fridge. Was thinking of eating it tomorrow around 6. Not sure if it's a great idea. Would chicken be better? Or just veggies? Will be pasta with it.

I'd go with the chicken ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 roseypo

Heading to the expo first thing in the morning, v excited now. Yikes ...loving reading through all the advice. Not too many joining us down at the bottom of the table tho :-) hope we're not too lonely !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭rob w

Skidrow wrote: »
    I have given up listening to the forecast for Monday - wait till Sunday night/Monnday morning and then decide what to wear.

I was at the expo from 11:40, big crowd there, didn't spot you.

Good luck on Monday.;)

I was there from around 12 till 1 myself, kept an eye out for you too but didnt see you around! All set to go now and good luck yourself. Might see you around the start line......if not ill see you in the pub!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

ooter wrote: »
    Would wearing a base layer rule out the possibility of nipple trouble?

It certainly helps, less movement of material over the area. It's one of the reasons I wear it. I'd still lash Vaseline or Body Glide over the area anyway though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ok so if it's expected to thunder rain on Monday, will people be still wearing short sleeve.

I'm just a little concerned about the combination of cold wind and rain.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Ok so if it's expected to thunder rain on Monday, will people be still wearing short sleeve.

I'm just a little concerned about the combination of cold wind and rain.

it's really a personal thing and you should do what you normally do for long runs or longer races. I get really warm during a race regardless of the weather so will wear singlet and shorts but my hands usually stay freezing so I will wear gloves. I don't think there's one rule fits all here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

was at the expo today and picked up my number was only when i was on the bus noticed im in the 4:15+ rather then the 3.50-4.15 group which is a bit annoying as i was planning staying with the 4hr pacers as my aim is to break 4 hours. heres hoping i can blag my way into the greenzone on monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'm half thinking of giving this Expo yoke a visit tomorrow......and take it all in for next year. Can anyone walk in? Sounds like there is some good gear on sale too. Is it discounted - much\any cheaper than the shops?

Remember don't wear anything different\new on Monday!

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I'm half thinking of giving this Expo yoke a visit tomorrow......and take it all in for next year. Can anyone walk in? Sounds like there is some good gear on sale too. Is it discounted - much\any cheaper than the shops?

great idea. Wasn't asked for id or anything going in. I don't see why you can't. I'd highly recommend it. Don't know about the discounts as I only bought gloves. You could happily fill in a few hours there. There are talks and videos and the museums so defo give it a go. Hope you're doing well and training's getting back on track.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Laois_Man wrote: »

Yep, you can just walk in to the expo. Lots of gear for sale, some is discounted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Some positive news from MT over on the weather forum:

" It will make for a very interesting day of weather watching on Monday, but the chances of severe wind gusts in Ireland from this storm are very low"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

PauloMN wrote: »
    It certainly helps, less movement of material over the area. It's one of the reasons I wear it. I'd still lash Vaseline or Body Glide over the area anyway though.

thanks paulo.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

I'm staying in Travelodge St. Stephens Green tomorrow night and was wondering how far/long of a walk is it to the RDS ?
    With the reports of heavy traffic I'd imagine I'd be fleeced in a cab ?

I'm staying in Travelodge St. Stephens Green tomorrow night and was wondering how far/long of a walk is it to the RDS ?
    With the reports of heavy traffic I'd imagine I'd be fleeced in a cab ?

Approx 40min walk. Long time to be on your feet tomorrow!

Approx 40min walk. Long time to be on your feet tomorrow!

You could get the Dart to Lansdowne Rd. RDS would be 5 min walk from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ososlo wrote: »
    great idea. Wasn't asked for id or anything going in. I don't see why you can't. I'd highly recommend it. Don't know about the discounts as I only bought gloves. You could happily fill in a few hours there. There are talks and videos and the museums so defo give it a go. Hope you're doing well and training's getting back on track.

Thanks.

I'm doing 10K three times a week at the mo. Will probably start mixing it up a bit better next month. Not convinced I'm cut out to be a marathoner but not gonna worry too much about it for a good while. Will just concentrate for the next 3 or 4 months on wintering well.

But enough about me. It's all about ye right now. Very best of luck. Can't wait to read all the race reports on Monday night and Tuesday. You'll do great!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭rob w

Went to the expo earlier on and picked up my number....good atmosphere around the place. Spent an hour or so, and left armed with the all important nip guards!!

I feel great and cannot wait for Monday to roll around! Hope everyone is well and enjoy, the expo to those who are going tomorrow. Otherwise spend the day with the feet up and taking it easy, make the most out of the extra hour in bed tonight!

Had a look around for the pacer stand earlier (between 12 and 1) at the expo and didn't see it! Was it set up at that time? Was planning on saying hello!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

You could get the Dart to Lansdowne Rd. RDS would be 5 min walk from there

40 mins is a long time walking alright. I'll suss out the Dart but I'm still looking at a bit of a walk to Connolly. Might just get cab out and a Dart home.

Cheers mate. The support here is second to none !!!

Advertisement