Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Time for me to get some shut eye before the train in the morning. Just like to quickly thank Ms.career_mover and everyone that has contributed to this thread as it greatly aided in getting me this far. Fellow participants, whatever the weather, make the most of it and I hope everyone can reflect on a positive experience.

See you all on the other side. (where the beer tastes so much sweater :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭budgemook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck to everyone on Monday. Well prepared and ready......

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

I'm still looking at a bit of a walk to Connolly.

Tara St and Pearse St DART stations are much closer to Stephens Green than Connolly. About 10 min walk. Connolly won't be open for DART services anyway as they are doing work on the lines/signals this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

npresto wrote: »
    Tara St and Pearse St DART stations are much closer to Stephens Green than Connolly. About 10 main walk. Connolly won't be open for DART services anyway as they are doing work on the lines/signals this weekend.

Buses 4,7 & 45 service the RDS leaving from Nassau St according to RDS website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Hello everyone, just want to jump in here to wish you all the very best of luck for Monday.

Forget about the weather, forget about the discomfort you will be feeling for maybe an hour towards the end of the race, and a while afterwards. At some time on early Monday afternoon, each and every one of you will cross the finish line, with one of the best emotional experiences of your lives. All the training and preparation and rain and pain will be forgotten in that moment, and it will be worth it 100 times over. Enjoy every minute of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck all, I've enjoyed this thread and I'm really looking forward to the reports.

Just remember one thing, on the law of averages some of you will suffer and have a bad day..... Don't let it be you!! Stick to the plan and don't get carried away. If you're feeling good after ucd then let it rip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭rob w

Looks like we are to be spared the rain that was forecast during the week at least, likely to have a bit of wind out in the open but hopefully it wont be too bad!

https://db.tt/xUN7gJKW

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yes good luck all. This thread has kept me sane over the past couple of months (well as sane as I can be). Excited and nervous now in equal measure so just going to go out and try my best to enjoy it.

All I hope for us that we all finish with a big smile, anything after that is a bonus.

Thanks CM for some great info, you've been a fantastic mentor.

Good luck all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Best of luck to all the novices running tomorrow. Keep it handy for the first half, and keep her lit for the second.

Enjoy your day. Don't forget to thank your families for enduring the training cycle. Mine have suffered 3 now and it doesn't get any easier.

Also clear the data in your Garmins so you don't get a memory full message half way through.

@Ososlow. Especial good wishes are sent to you. IIRC you posted a lovely message here last year about being a spectator on the day and planning to be a part of it this year. Well done, you've trained well and you'll get your rewards tomorrow. You're a great ambassador for running. Have a fantastic time.

It'll be Mega.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good luck all and whatever you do don;t worry about the weather! You can't do anything about it and honestly, it will most likely have little to no effect on most of you.

Keep the heads and go out nice and sensibly- relax and enjoy the day and will hopefully meet some of you in McG's after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

drquirky wrote: »
    Good luck all and whatever you do don;t worry about the weather! You can't do anything about it and honestly, it will most likely have little to no effect on most of you.

Keep the heads and go out nice and sensibly- relax and enjoy the day and will hopefully meet some of you in McG's after!

Or alternatively run behind someone who has more meat on them than you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Latest forecasts say the weather will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

snailsong wrote: »
    Latest forecasts say the weather will be ok.

After the apocalypic weather predictions over the weekend that's great. I don't mind a bit of rain but I'd much rather it was cold and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 buggawugga

Just 24 hrs to go. Best of luck everyone on Monday. I mostly followed this thread; on the rare occasion that I did post here I either got good advise or good banter. Thanks CM and all who contributed to make this thread a part of our daily routine for the last 4 months. It's been fun guys 'n gals. Gl us.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

All, I just wanted to wish each and every one of you the very best tomorrow. I won't be on here until after the run tomorrow as I'm about to leave for Dublin. Have booked into The Westin if you don't mind :p as I feel I need a bit of opulence as a treat :)

BEST OF LUCK! Can't wait to chat about everything here afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Cool, a nice easy 10miles done this morning, at a slow pace, looking forward to tomorrow now.

That is what I dreamt I did last night and woke up at 3:30am in a panic. This taper period has played havoc with my dreams and confidence. I have a mix of emotion about tomorrow, in one sense I want it to just be over but in another I want it to last all day (and it might just do that!) Mix of scared and excited. But as they say the work is done now, nothing can change what will happen tomorrow at this stage. So bring it on.

Off to expo today to collect number etc. I don't intend to walk around too long but I do want to pick up a running belt, High5 were doing a real minimal belt for carrying gels and a very small front pouch, did anyone notice them in the expo yesterday?

Also the biggest and greatest of thank you to Career_move for all the time and effort she has put into this forum over the past few months, Im sure we were a very testing bunch at times.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Cool, a nice easy 10miles done this morning, at a slow pace, looking forward to tomorrow now.

That is what I dreamt I did last night and woke up at 3:30am in a panic. This taper period has played havoc with my dreams and confidence. I have a mix of emotion about tomorrow, in one sense I want it to just be over but in another I want it to last all day (and it might just do that!) Mix of scared and excited. But as they say the work is done now, nothing can change what will happen tomorrow at this stage. So bring it on.

Off to expo today to collect number etc. I don't intend to walk around too long but I do want to pick up a running belt, High5 were doing a real minimal belt for carrying gels and a very small front pouch, did anyone notice them in the expo yesterday?

Also the biggest and greatest of thank you to Career_move for all the time and effort she has put into this forum over the past few months, Im sure we were a very testing bunch at times.

:eek:

A dream.... phew!

I don't think I ate enough carbs yesterday so I need to try to make up for that today. 700g of carbs is a lot to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Degsy123

jmcc99_98 wrote: »

I picked up one of those small gel belts, I think they are 8 or 10 euro. Just make sure to try it on, a friend of mine picked one up last year and it was too small - and he ain't a big guy !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭rob w

Fraggle00 wrote: »
    I don't think I ate enough carbs yesterday so I need to try to make up for that today. 700g of carbs is a lot to get through.

Don't think its a good idea to overdo it with the carbs today....I wouldn't try and play catch up anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭netmann

Best of luck to all 2013 Novices. Enjoy the experience.
    No harm to check your watches - my Garmin hadn't updated automatically and had to manually update the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Fraggle00 wrote: »

Eat a large breakfast, and have your biggest meal at lunch time. Don't leave your evening meal any later than 6 to give it plenty of time to digest and get into the bloodstream. Most importantly, make sure you keep yourself properly hydrated. There's no point spending the entire day trying to stuff yourself, just be sensible with it.

rob w wrote: »
    Don't think its a good idea to overdo it with the carbs today....I wouldn't try and play catch up anyway!

I'm just aiming for the recommended 700g. I've started well enough with a mammoth bowl of porridge and a bottle of lucozade. It'll be steady consumption throughout the day: fruit, granola bars, sugary drinks throughout the day and a big heap of pasta for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

Last run done today 3.5mike at a slow pace man that was hard. Best of luck to everyone tomorrow take it all in your stride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Are people taking their own drink, whether it be a sports drink or just water on the route, or is there no real need as the water stations are sufficient?

I will be taking gels regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fruit pastille

I am totally exhausted from all the running I did in my dreams last night - it went on for hours :D :P

Getting a bit emotional reading the last few pages of posts - it's been some journey. A special thanks to career move for all her invaluable advice and support.

In case I don't get on here later best of luck to everyone tomorrow - enjoy it!

See you on the other side

Fruit pastille ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

snailsong wrote: »
    @Ososlow. Especial good wishes are sent to you. IIRC you posted a lovely message here last year about being a spectator on the day and planning to be a part of it this year. Well done, you've trained well and you'll get your rewards tomorrow. You're a great ambassador for running. Have a fantastic time.
    It'll be Mega.

what a lovely lovely thing to say. This means more to me than you'll ever know;) Surprised that anyone remembers that message from last year. It was my first ever post on boards almost a year ago. You might also remember then that I wanted to go sub 4 for my first, and boy did I work hard (hate calling it work as it's not really but you know what i mean!) trying to achieve that, I truly did, but I'm just not there yet. Somehow that doesn't matter so much to me this morning. I've had a blast trying and I'll have a blast trying again:) This really is just the beginning.
    Cheers mate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck tomorrow kids

• Advertisement

Oh by the way, for any of the 4:30/4:40ish boardsies, I'll be in red and white striped jersey and black shorts, say hi if you are close by! I'm the one with the flowing locks (NOT!). :D

Advertisement