Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭rob w

I am finished packing and organising everything for tomorrow......I think! Have that usual feeling I've forgotten something and keep checking!:confused:

Just want to say a big thanks to all who have contributed to the thread over the past six months or so, both novices and seasoned runners alike. This place is a goldmine of information and I don't feel I could be any better prepared for tomorrow than I am now, and that's thanks to all the advice and info given on this thread. Career_Move has done a brilliant job getting us all this far and deserves a big thanks, you have the patience of a saint! But once this thread wraps up, who's going to be able to answer all our stupid questions? Who's going to tell us what were to eat, how far to run and what to wear on raceday..........What if we forget about toenail Tuesday?:pac:

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow and "may the wind always be at your back", hopefully will meet some of you in the pub after and exchange stories. I've booked a hotel in town for the night in the hope I can make it to the pub and not have to worry about getting home after (even though I don't live that far away, it'll just make things handier once its all over)

To anyone who didn't make it due to injury, hopefully you've learned as much from this thread as I have and if you carry that into your first Marathon whenever that will be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Ososlo - irregardless of what happens on the race tomorrow, you've done a Trojan job here with the novices.

Take a bow along with CM & Meno.
    ME????? :o Jeez I really dunno what to say to that! But thanks so much RK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭rob w

Ososlo - irregardless of what happens on the race tomorrow, you've done a Trojan job here with the novices.

Take a bow along with CM & Meno.

Have to agree with this post too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

BarneyJ wrote: »
    Ya the smaller number is for your bag. There is a space on the white plastic bag you got at the expo to stick it on. Though I presume you can use any bag you want. Your race number doesn't need to be visible at the start but must be visible at the end of the race.

No; you are supposed to use your official bag. But you can put your own bag inside the official bag ;)

rob w wrote: »
    Have to agree with this post too!

I really don't think I deserve that. I thought I might be annoying a few people sometimes having a novice giving advice to other novices. I think because I followed last years thread so closely (seriously I read every single post and was with you all every step of the way and even went along on the day!) I was very well informed about everything to expect and tried a lot of stuff in training well before I needed to. But that thanks should really go to Boards AR forum in general and not to me. It's a real privilege to be part of this Boards group. Thanks guys.
    Can't have been easy for you Career_Move either taking up the mantle after the well, ahem, frought start to the thread! You've taken this thread to a whole new level. Well done you:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Best of luck, everyone! Have a great day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow.

Always a good idea to look at the first week of your training plan just to remind yourself just how far you have come. We often get bogged down with the times so much that we forget one of the most important things. Enjoy yourself! you have invested alot of time effort and sacrifice into the marathon attempt tomorrow is about reaping the rewards of that investment

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭BarneyJ

jonnner wrote: »
    Last question's before tomorrow!
    I got a race number for wearing and another which is on laminated card, is that to go on your bag?
    If I want to wear an extra top for the first few miles does it have to be under my t-shirt so my number can be seen?

Ya the smaller number is for your bag. There is a space on the white plastic bag you got at the expo to stick it on. Though I presume you can use any bag you want. Your race number doesn't need to be visible at the start but must be visible at the end of the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Been lurking in this thread since the start, barr one post back at the beginning.

Best of luck to all. And thanks to everyone (esp Career_Move) for all the advice etc..
    I'm gonna make it to the start line this year, which is already an improvement on last year. All going well, I'll cross the finish line too.

Eye Of The Tiger people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭donnacha

menoscemo wrote: »
    No; you are supposed to use your official bag. But you can put your own bag inside the official bag ;)

Had just unpacked my own bag ... checked everything ... moved my stuff into the official bag ... whilst checking it all again ... put my own bag away. Then I was coming on here to say thanks to Ososlo and then read this.

Have now finished repacking my own bag and have put it into the official bag. Would of been a disaster arriving tomorrow morning and having drama checking in my gear.

I'll associate my stupidity with the taper madness :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Best of luck everyone enjoy the race

Ososlo wrote: »
    from the official DCM Instruction booklet :

"only baggage in the official Airticity Dub Marathon Bag, with the official baggage label firmly attached, will be accepted up to 30 minutes before race start." not sure how strict this is but just to be sure...

Woops. Sorry about that.

from the official DCM Instruction booklet :

"only baggage in the official Airticity Dub Marathon Bag, with the official baggage label firmly attached, will be accepted up to 30 minutes before race start." not sure how strict this is but just to be sure...

Woops. Sorry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Hi all. Whirlwind around Dublin with family and friends stuff over the last two days. Remaining head cold still not clear! Not to worry though! All the best tomorrow folks. Thanks to CM and all for the advice. Hopefully see you all in the pub!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The very best of luck to all of you in this years novice club. Bumpy start to the year aside ;) it's already been a great success under CM's stewardship and that's before you guys step over the start line. Looking forward to all the stories and race reports.

PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

The very best of luck to all of you in this years novice club. Bumpy start to the year aside ;) it's already been a great success under CM's stewardship and that's before you guys step over the start line. Looking forward to all the stories and race reports.

PM

Thanks PM. Gracious as always :)

Good to see you getting back into the swing of things too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Thanks PM. Gracious as always :)

Good to see you getting back into the swing of things too

Cheers CM - all going well, injuries behaving themselves and I'm now on a long term plan for DCM 14. Will be gathering some inspiration from this crowd tomorrow. Will be in the park roaring them on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Sitting on my hotel bed with clothes/gear thrown everywhere.. Why I brought up 2 sets of gear I'll never know, the phrase "just in case" was muttered for sure. Oh, and two thngs of bodyglide as well :D:D. Trying to decide on my too black portumna Forrest top or my bright red athlone 3/4 top... Decisions decisions :)

And while I'm here, most importantly, a big thank you to everybody. Amazing people. Special shout out to C_M. On this thread every hour of every day throwing out words of wisdom and encouragement whatever needed. And the non novices who popped in to help also. Brilliant people (might be calling ye something else in mcgrattans after :-P).. And to those who, for whatever reason couldn't see it through this year, stay strong. Plenty of opportunity to realise your marathon goal, there's plenty of races just no point in trying to force it if injjury was the reason..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Sitting on my hotel bed with clothes/gear thrown everywhere.. Why I brought up 2 sets of gear I'll never know, the phrase "just in case" was muttered for sure. Oh, and two thngs of bodyglide as well :D:D. Trying to decide on my too black portumna Forrest top or my bright red athlone 3/4 top... Decisions decisions :)

And while I'm here, most importantly, a big thank you to everybody. Amazing people. Special shout out to C_M. On this thread every hour of every day throwing out words of wisdom and encouragement whatever needed. And the non novices who popped in to help also. Brilliant people (might be calling ye something else in mcgrattans after :-P).. And to those who, for whatever reason couldn't see it through this year, stay strong. Plenty of opportunity to realise your marathon goal, there's plenty of races just no point in trying to force it if injjury was the reason..
    You're all very welcome. Go with the red ..... you'll thank me when you see the photographs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Oh, and if ye have loved ones/someone special up to support you, then give them a big hug and kiss before you set off.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Just popping back in to wish everybody all the best tomorrow, ye are making me envious with all the chat, unfortunately injury ruled that this was not to be my year but I am determined to be back stronger than ever next year and make that starting line.

I'll leave ye with the following quote for when/if you hit the wall:

"Ask yourself: 'Can I give more?'. The answer is usually: 'Yes'."
    -Paul Tergat, Kenyan professional marathoner

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Anyone else got a strong urge to go for a quick run tonight? Don't worry, I'm going to resist, a night in front of the telly with a foam roller for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Bored in Maldron hotel.. Epsom salt bath a good idea??

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

A huge thank you to Ososlo, Ooter, Rob W, SnailsPace and everyone for all the support and words of wisdom over the past few weeks.

In particular I would like to thanks Career_move for the work she has done, I've honestly been blown away by the advice, support and most importantly common sense you have shared with us all over the past few months. The solidarity and support of the running community on here is exceptional and I feel privileged to have been a part of it!

Really looking forward to tomorrow now!

An apt note to end on - "May the road rise up to meet you and may the wind be forever at your back..."

Geek - #2024

It is mcgrattans on fitzwilliam lane after yeah?

Woden wrote: »
    It is mcgrattans on fitzwilliam lane after yeah?

yes that's the Boardsie spot alright. Best of luck to you tomorrow. Enjoyed following your log and your improvements have been really impressive. Never know might meet you tomorrow

yes that's the Boardsie spot alright. Best of luck to you tomorrow. Enjoyed following your log and your improvements have been really impressive. Never know might meet you tomorrow

Cheers Ososlo! Hope to meet yee all there. Will keep an eye out for those I met on the LSR back in august!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.
    Muhammad Ali

im sure the same can be said about marathon running all the work is done go out and enjoy urself tomorrow and good luck to everyone

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Any update on the weather for the morning? I have a short sleeve, a long sleeve and a jacket. Just in case :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

Final post - I need to pack and get to bed!

A big thanks to CM, Meno and all the other contributors.

I hope everybody has good day tomorrow and can get to the pub later.

Best advice - take first half easy and don't forget the gels.

Advertisement