Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ososlo wrote: »
    ME????? :o Jeez I really dunno what to say to that! But thanks so much RK!

Paddy Power has you as odds-on, clear favourite to be the first to get offered the 2014 mentors job.

I'm putting a wad of dosh on that.

Easy money!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Paddy Power has you as odds-on, clear favourite to be the first to get offered the 2014 mentors job.

poisoned-chalice-3.jpg

;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Laois_Man wrote: »

Naw, won't happen as I didn't follow the plan here ;) Plenty of brilliant candidates for that one, one or two in particular. Hope you got to the Expo!

poisoned-chalice-3.jpg

;):D

LOL brillaint PM!

Where did Mr Slow go? He was great in the early days here:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow and a big thank you to all who took the time to answer mine and everyone else's questions.
    The nearer we've gotten to the start the less interested I've become in setting a certain time. 3:45 would be nice, but I really just want to enjoy it and feel reasonably good afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Naw, won't happen as I didn't follow the plan here ;) Plenty of brilliant candidates for that one, one or two in particular. Hope you got to the Expo!

Don't be silly, that doesn't rule you out!!
    you have my vote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

Nite Nite
    See ye all tomorrow:)

The Marathon Prayer by Tony Audenshaw Tony’s Trials www.marathontalk.com

May the taper not have left you feeling fat and lethargic and the sniffles and niggles not develop in to illness or injury
    On marathon eve May your friends and family not text you ‘good luck messages’ after 9pm. If staying in a hotel, may it be clear of Stag and Hen parties and may your room be some distance from any noisy air conditioning units, night clubs or someone who has just been let out of prison or returned from active service and that night been reunited with their loving partner.
    If perchance you do sleep may you dream of forgetting your number or race kit or of not being able to find the start of the race or of oversleeping and missing it completely, in order that on the day itself you will wake up, remember your number or race kit, and find your way to the start on time.
    May you eat a breakfast familiar to your digestive system.
    May your transport be on time and free from catastrophic mechanical malfunction.
    May the portaloos have few people queuing outside and plentiful toilet tissue inside
    May your GPS unit and heart rate monitor be fully charged and may it find satellites immediately and link seamlessly with your chest strap..... and not someone else’s.
    May you not be held back by runners slower than you starting too far forward and in turn, may you not spoil the race for others
    May you not set off too fast and remember that if you feel you are running too slowly you are still running too fast.
    Let the weather be 11 degrees centigrade during the race with a light following breeze and perhaps a hint of drizzle in the last six miles, then after the race may the clouds disperse and reveal 20 degree sunshine
    May your timing chip remain attached, your shoelaces stay tight and may you avoid tripping over discarded water bottles or slipping on gel sachets.
    May you not suffer a visit from the Gingerbreadman, or run directly behind someone who has.
    May you not be impeded by idiots wearing personal headphones, passed by runners in fancy dress , athletes over the age of 80, your club mates, your partner or anyone off the telly.
    May you see your supporters on the course and may your supporters see you and then when the race is over may they meet you at a pre arranged location and not change their plan and leave you thirsty ravenous and shivering as they struggle with the overloaded mobile phone network.
    May your nipples and sensitive areas be free from chafing And In the final few miles may you avoid hitting the wall, resist adopting a run walk strategy and find the strength to f*@$% your legs, And on crossing the line may you wipe the phlegm from your cheeks and the crystallised salt from around your mouth and find the energy to smile for the cameras.
    And then whatever your time or your achievement, be it a personal best or an absolute unmitigated disaster, remember that your loved ones have tolerated you’re your persistent absence, your challenging moods and narcoleptic tendencies for months on end, so wear your medal or t shirt with pride, celebrate being one of the 0.1 percent of the population who have trained for and completed a 26.2 mile race and enjoy a few days of being treated like the hero you are, walking like a cowboy with haemorrhoids, and not having to run a step.
    Amen

Best of luck to everyone lining up tomorrow, the hard part is done, enjoy the race, deal with the pain & savour crossing that line!

For those who didn't make it this far, the training done will give you a head start for next year, keep the faith:)

A huge thanks to CM & all the other contributors to this thread, wouldn't have got here without you all! Stumbled across last years thread which inspired me to build up to the marathon & hopefully this years novices will do the same for others:)

See you all in McGrattans...

• Advertisement

The advice is the same no matter what plan you do.

No Expo for me today. I'm blaming the wife. I have to store up the brownie points tho. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck to everyone tomorrow. Here's hoping all the dreams come true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

I'm up, it's D Day
    Hope everybody slept well
    Bring it on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Zzzzzz...5 more minutes...zzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭rob w

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Zzzzzz...5 more minutes...zzzzzz

WAKE UUUUPPPPPP!!!

Sorry for shouting, just wouldn't want you to sleep in! ;)

rob w wrote: »
    WAKE UUUUPPPPPP!!!

Sorry for shouting, just wouldn't want you to sleep in! ;)

No sleep for me. Not even one wink let alone 40 :( nervous wreck!!! G'luck all!!!

I'm never eating bagels again... Or pasta... Or bananas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Same as that ososlo, tried my best but got an hour at best. Sitting watching countdown and airport customs since 4am.

Very nervous.

Good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Zaram

No sleep here either. Am like a child a christmas! Best of luck guys, see ye on the other side. We can do this...

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

And they're off - Congratulations to all the 2013 novices, you are now marathon runners.

• Advertisement

Couldnt have asked for better weather conditions at least where I am in Carlow. Never listening to weather forecasters ever again. It's so nice I think I'll do a little mini marathon of my own right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Great day,hope everyone got back in one piece..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Well, how did ye all get on!? Don't leave us hanging...

One final tip for ye, walk down the stairs backwards. :)

Beef wrote: »

I aced my 7 mile tempo run this morning thanks

Dunno why you're so excited about it really. :-/

What day mean you didn't mean me? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Beef wrote: »

Doubt I'll get up the stairs tonight so i won't have to worry about that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

4:05:18.
    That was tough. I felt I was hitting the wall nonstop from mile 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

3.28.57 thrilled!! Big shout out to Blockic, Killerz & Raylanigan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭donnacha

Chip Time 3:59:09
    Full report to follow once I've recovered a bit more - I now know all about the wall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ganone

Didn't post a whole lot but followed everyone else's progress with interest and picked up loads of tips. 20 mile onwards wasn't pretty but delighted with finishing and getting my time. Hope everyone got round ok... We f##kin well did it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

4.27.xx. Delighted!

Advertisement