Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Ososlo wrote: »
    Didn't walk one step despite pains and that is the thing i am most proud of.

well done ososlo,i know how easy it could've been to stop and/or walk meself but something in me kept me going.mile 24-25 was absolute torture.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

ooter wrote: »
    well done ososlo,i know how easy it could've been to stop and/or walk meself but something in me kept me going.mile 24-25 was absolute torture.:eek:

Thanks ooter... Well done yourself.
    Odly i felt my best all the race in the last 10k. Better than first!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Just checking in to say hello and well done to everybody !
    A huge thanks to the 4'10 pacers who picked me up in front of the British Embassy and got me over the line in 4h09'46 !
    Race report later , once I get my head back !

Ososlo wrote: »
    Thanks ooter... Well done yourself.
    Odly i felt my best all the race in the last 10k. Better than first!!

don't be saying things like that,that's showing off.:)
    my friend ran a slower time than me overall but a faster 2nd 13 by about 3 mins,valuable lesson learned for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Mixed emotions today..
    Suffered from stomach issues from half way to about 18miles. I lost momentium and it was hard to get back in the swing. Alot of lessons learned and due to that I'm looking forward to my next. I've nothing to fear of the marathon!!
    Was hoping to sneak in just under 4:40, but had to settle for 5:03. Delighted to have completed it, but a little dissappointed with the time.

Well done to everyone!!!!

• Advertisement

don't be saying things like that,that's showing off.:)
    my friend ran a slower time than me overall but a faster 2nd 13 by about 3 mins,valuable lesson learned for me.

seriously, I have nothing to show off about. Just felt a lot better towards the end of the race is all

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Chuffed to bits. Goal time sub 4hrs, came in at 3:56. Was with 4hr pacers until about 24k and then we pushed on. When we were about 3 mins ahead of schedule we throttled back to 4hr pace and came home in great shape.

Last year I missed 4hrs by 14 secs and collapsed at the finish and was in medical tent for an hour. This year was able to walk to a few pubs and enjoy a few pints.

Thanks everyone for great support and advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

3:42:51 here. Well happy with that! Nice to meet a few people in mcgrattans! Great to have the support of friends and family. Wrecked..

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AlsoRan

Mixed emotions here. I was on target up to mile 12 and then I had to start a mixture of walking and jogging/running, which I had to do up until mile 25. Basically my two calves seized up on me and I must have pulled or aggravated something in my groin and I had to just grit my teeth and keep going, but it was real agony at times. I kept going to try and ease it out and it did eventually in the last quarter and I was able to run more and I made sure I crossed the line smiling with pure relief! Ruined my time though, ended up with 4 hours 51. Just so frustrated, as I've never had those issues before in long races, I think the calves really reacted to the hills for some reason. Still, I'm happy I didn't give up and despite a bit of swearing on and off, I got to the end. I think I have some unfinished business for DCM14 as I'm sure I can do better on time. Same time, same bat place people, as I think a few of us still have some scores to settle with that course! Take it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

So I spent the last hour writing the report, problem is, it's a tad looonnnnnggggg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Well done to all here, great running all round! You're marathoners now

So I spent the last hour writing the report, problem is, it's a tad looonnnnnggggg

lol i'm the same. I'm only 1/10 of the way through though! I might use it to either start a log at some stage or put up on the Race Report thread. Looking forward to yours!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Stayed with the 4.30 pacers until mile 18. Then hamstring cramps. Holy balls. At one stage both my hamstrings were ready to seize up and very nearly stopped mile 24 but thankfully a woman saw I was in trouble and helped with the cramp.

I'm waiting for a train right now with a medal around my neck. Done.

4:47:52

Dream time was 4:29:59 but even with no cramps I know I would have struggled to keep up.

You finished with me, 4:47. I had my boy running with me at the end. You could have been ahead or behind depending on where you were in the pack I suppose.

CONGRATS everyone. What an experience, simply amazing. Too shattered to read and thank all the posts, I'll set aside a couple of hours to do that tomorrow. Besides I'm going for a pint now. ;)

Will give a full update tomorrow, as you can see I was 17 mins over my dream time... usual story, legs gave up, too fast out etc....... but do I care? Not much, I had a ball and the support was nothing short of superb all the way around.

Talk tomorrow guys! Off for a drink, walking like a cowboy at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Congrats everyone fro today. I'm sure all the blood, sweat and tears were worth it. Gutted not being out there as I watched the progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭rob w

Brilliant day......goals achieved......few pints in mcgrattans too, didnt realise some of the other novices were there too, i asked around!

Great to see most had a good day, well done all. Will post a report once the dust settles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Been glued to this forum all afternoon and evening. Feeling very inspired by you all.

Please don't worry about your race reports being very long. I for one want to read every single little detail ye can muster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The initial reports here bring back a host of memories from last years group. :) Well done to each and every one of you. Some of you made your goals, some of you didn't but the group as a whole made it to the start line (and from what I can tell everyone got to the finish line too) The first goal for any novice is to get around the thing and this is the goal IMO to be proudest of. Times will improve over subsequent attempts. Huge congratulations to you all. Training for DCM 2014 starts next week ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done to all here, great running all round! You're marathoners now
    And well done to you too - super running and sweet revenge for Limerick :D

Used Ososlo's idea and posted in the Race Report thread!!
    Here goes for anyone who has a significant blank space in their evening!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055556074&page=11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Really enjoyed reading that. Well done :D

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed reading that. Well done :D

Now that's impressively quick reading!! Yet another talent!

standout moment for me was (can't remember the mile) running alongside 2 lads and one of them said that we were in the presence of DCM royalty,the lad in question was the youngest ever to have run all 31 dublin marathons and his reply was "yeah,and it doesn't get any fcukin easier.":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

AlsoRan wrote: »
    Mixed emotions here. I was on target up to mile 12 and then I had to start a mixture of walking and jogging/running, which I had to do up until mile 25. Basically my two calves seized up on me and I must have pulled or aggravated something in my groin and I had to just grit my teeth and keep going, but it was real agony at times. I kept going to try and ease it out and it did eventually in the last quarter and I was able to run more and I made sure I crossed the line smiling with pure relief! Ruined my time though, ended up with 4 hours 51. Just so frustrated, as I've never had those issues before in long races, I think the calves really reacted to the hills for some reason. Still, I'm happy I didn't give up and despite a bit of swearing on and off, I got to the end. I think I have some unfinished business for DCM14 as I'm sure I can do better on time. Same time, same bat place people, as I think a few of us still have some scores to settle with that course! Take it easy.

Your not alone... Came in 30mins after goal time(which appeared soft based on 1/2 time) due muscles which are NEVER a problem going at mile 6-10! Got a rub down this evening and discussing the race over I have come to the conclusion that it could be because I did all training on the right side of country road & today I stayed on the left- or am I being daft? Now I might not have made 4:30 anyway but I dont think I should have been in pain for soo long. Energy wise I was grand the whole way through:) Delighted to finish & enjoyed it loads:D Crowds were amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 niamhpamela

I am marathon runner!! 4:02:56! The support was absolutely amazing! Delighted that I got my name on my shirt, constant screams of "Go Niamh" sad that I didn't get to finish with my sis but so proud of us both. My IT band was screaming and I felt like I was going to puke for the last 4 miles but I kept running, proud!

Your not alone... Came in 30mins after goal time(which appeared soft based on 1/2 time) due muscles which are NEVER a problem going at mile 6-10! Got a rub down this evening and discussing the race over I have come to the conclusion that it could be because I did all training on the right side of country road & today I stayed on the left- or am I being daft? Now I might not have made 4:30 anyway but I dont think I should have been in pain for soo long. Energy wise I was grand the whole way through:) Delighted to finish & enjoyed it loads:D Crowds were amazing!

a few people on this thread and others seemed to have similar problems. I pulled something in my glute which went on to affect my IT band and calf (haven't had an injury in 10 months) from my first step today. I'm wondering if it was due to the fact that I stood around for an hour in my shorts and wasn't moving around very much and my muscles were very cold and that triggered something off. it really was the last thing I was expecting today. I had a nice warm top on but thought I'd be grand in my shorts. Not so sure now...

Note to self, DO NOT apply deep heat and then rub beside your eye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Nice one. You captured it well.
    I think you and I had a similar race, including the tear at the end.

not pointing the finger at anyone in particular but did the people who had a bad day get a good sleep last night?

not pointing the finger at anyone in particular but did the people who had a bad day get a good sleep last night?

no... zero zzzzds for me:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Yep a good solid 7 hours:)

Advertisement