Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

buggawugga wrote: »
    Thanks Osofast. They say you learn a lot about yourself during a marathon and I guess now I know I can be a stubborn bugger. ;)

lol osofast... maybe notsoslow some day.

Stubborn is one of the best things you could possibly be in endurance sports! How you feeling today?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 buggawugga

You're hours faster than me :) I'm quite stiff and sore but not as bad as I expected. I'm walking like someone on a zimmer frame except without the frame. How are you feeling? You must be delighted with yourself.
    Just got in touch with the Marathon Office and they're gonna post on my bag. :)

buggawugga wrote: »
    You're hours faster than me :) I'm quite stiff and sore but not as bad as I expected. I'm walking like someone on a zimmer frame except without the frame. How are you feeling? You must be delighted with yourself.

If you suspect a real injury maybe you should get it checked out. I need to do the same about my glute. Really don't want it to develop into anything sinister.

No, I'm not delighted really. I trained really hard all year so know I deserved better yesterday (as others here did too). Not delighted with my time but delighted I had the stubborness also to finish it and was able to run every step of the way. I always said to myself that running means more to me than this marathon and that if I had to pull out at the last minute I would but it felt ok to continue yesterday albeit at a much slower pace. Goal C was to finish so I'm delighted I achieved one of my goals. Biggest thing I learned yesterday was that anything can happen on the day so be prepared for that, no matter how amazing training's gone/how many miles you've run. That's why so many people advise novices not to chase a time for their first but to enjoy it and it's only now that I really understand why... DCM is such a special marathon, enjoying your first should really be the A Goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

(not sure if this should go into race report thread or here so mods feel free to move!)

Pre-race
    Having felt the nerves steadily increase over the course of the weekend, I woke up at half six Monday morning ahead of the alarm and raring to go. Had planned to get the bus into town to save the legs, but just as well I checked the timetables the night before - first bus on BH Monday leaves at 9am :eek: Decided to cycle the 3 miles in very gently as a warm up, it was a great way to start the build up as I passed so many runners also making their way in. Dropped my post-race bag at my office, put on my very stylish black bin bag/warmer and made my way to the blue corral. Hoping for a time of 4.59.59 but the main aim was to finish in one piece

Miles 1-3
    These passed in a bit of a blur, my brother in law and his girlfriend were the first of many pleasant surprises along the route, they were at the spire on O'Connell Street with a home made sign to cheer me on! Was tucked in behind the 4.50 pacers at this stage, felt very comfortable (though a bit worred there was a guy in a full rhino suit ahead of me, and big bird was not too far behind :))
    Just before the phoenix park, another friend and his wife had come out to cheer me on with their baby, again hadn't expected to see them, was just blown away by the support of so many friends and family which made for a great feeling as I entered the park

Miles 4-9
    Another friend was stationed at mile 5 with powerade and jelly babies, I can't stomach gels and was determined to take plenty of sugar on board from early on to avoid the dreaded wall... then a work colleague was further down chesterfield ave cheering on the crowd, she ran with me for a couple of miles for support which was much appreciated, the miles were passing very quickly now

Miles 10-14
    Came up through Chapelizod ok (though I was so jealous of the crowd with their BBQ in chapelizod, smelled soooo good!) into Inchicore where another friend was cheering me on. Passed what looked like an epic house party on the hill up to south circular road, fair play to them!! It was after this things started to get a bit tough for me. I had heard the long road up to Crumlin/Walkinstown was a drag, and it was the first time the wind felt really in my face. The pace started to slow here and the legs began to feel a bit heavy. Having taken on another couple of Lucozade sports and waters, I felt the need for a "comfort break" here, when I came out the 4.50 pacers had passed me by but I put the head down and got stuck in again, in hindsight would have been better to have a group to tuck in behind here. Passed the half way point at Walkinstown with 2.27.03, more supporters cheering me on at the roundabout, so just about on pace for a sub-5 finish if I could maintain the pace

Miles 15-18
    I know this stretch of the course very well (in fact I was very glad to ignore the temptation to turn left at KCR and head for home!) but the legs continued to feel heavy. It was weird, physically and mentally I felt fine, the breathing was very comfortable, but for some reason the legs just weren't keeping up with me?? Started getting cramps in my foot and stopped a couple of times to stretch. More supporters at miles 16 and 18 with treats and drinks to keep me going, which in turn required another loo stop at mile 18, I was trying to alternate waters and lucozade sports to avoid dehydration and hypernatremia, think I'd read so many horror stories of what not to do on the day I was overly cautious but sure maybe that's no harm

Miles 18-23
    Probably the toughest part of the race for me. No supporters along this part of the course but was taking some jelly sweets I had bought at the expo to keep the energy levels up. Legs kept cramping so had to stretch/walk it out a couple of times. Then coming up the UCD flyover there was my brother in law and his girlfriend again, couldn't believe they'd come all that way to continue the support, gave me a much needed boost

Miles 24-26.2
    Once I came onto Nutley Lane I knew I was going to finish and started to feel a bit emotional. Every single shout-out I got from supporters along the route here made such a difference, it was fantastic to have the names on the race numbers so people could cheer us on. More friends and family were here to cheer me in, miles 25, 25.5 and 26, so that really kept the momentum going. Coming around Trinity is probably my favourite memory, the atmosphere was incredible. I even managed a sprint to the finish (leaving behind a lovely girl who had run the last mile with me, that was probably bad form, so apologies to her!).

I crossed the line in 5.15.45, 16 minutes over target but honestly I was just so delighted with myself that I had finished it, and finished it well. The legs were (and still are) very stiff but otherwise I felt surprisingly ok. For me this was a bucket list thing, and having ticked it off the list I'm not sure I'll do it again (though as my little brother says never say never...)

Huge thanks to all on the thread for the expertise, tips and support (special thanks to c_m) and above all, to all the volunteers, marshalls and supporters on the day who made it such an amazing day.

I'M A MARATHON RUNNER!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Sammo13

Just want to congratulate everybody who took part and completed the marathon, especially 'buggawugga' who showed serious heart and courage to complete it in such a poor state.
    I finished it 4hr 6m, totally banjacked, was on target with my splits until the 20 mile marker. Avg was between 8.50 & 9 min, but from mile 22 onwards it was total hell, stride started to shorten and the last mile took me close to 12 mins!! Holy jebus!!
    One thing I was surprised at was my quads started to feel it from halfway which was not happening in my long runs, so I knew I'd be in a jock come the end. Great to complete it and congrats to all... So sore right now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Not wanting to be caught in traffic at the start, I started at the very back of the 2nd wave, about 3 or so minutes after the wave had left. This meant that my friend and I were able to run on mostly empty streets up until after O'Connell Street when we began to pass people.
    There was an extraordinary amount of stuff lost on the ground. Gloves, hats and loads of full energy gel packs.

The plan was to catch up to the 4:10 pacers before half way and try to reel in the 4:00 crowd in the second half of the race. I could tell early enough that we weren't going to do 4:00 when we couldn't even see the 4:10 pacers in the park. We stuck to the plan at a slightly slower pace: 10k in 59:23, half in 2:02:16.
    We finally passed the 4:10 pacers a little later than planned after half way.
    At this point, I still had vague hopes of turning up the pace a little in the second half but gradually, things started to hurt. My calves were aching, my feet were getting very sore and all thoughts of times went out the window. I suppose the 2 1/2 weeks out injured took their toll on my fitness and it because a horrible struggle.

After 20 miles, 3:05:50, I was constantly fighting a psychological battle against giving up. Somehow, I kept putting one foot ahead of the other.
    Then, as an unintended consequence of my earlier plans the day was saved.
    The 4:10 pacers overtook me and wasn't going to let that stand. I accelerated and got back out in front of the 4:10 crowd and whenever the muscle pains got bad, I briefly sped up. This seemed to work for short spells and sure it got me further down the road.
    I felt that I was running very slowly and had to energy to or interest in checking my pace. My stomach felt full of lucozade and unabsorbed energy gel so I didn't take any more for the final 45 minutes or so for fear of getting sick.
    I carried a bottle of water to occasionally wet my mouth or pour over my head.

At about 24 miles, I looked up from my little world of misery and noticed my friend up ahead of me. I wasn't going to let him get away ahead of me so I caught him up. At Pearse Street, I got some energy from somewhere and was able to up the pace a little. Seeing the finish sign from Nassau Street was fantastic but it seemed to take so long getting there. Final time 4:05:18.
    Next time, I can beat 4 hours but I need to be a little luckier (and less foolish) with injuries. Still, I finished the marathon in a respectable time and aside from sore quads, I'm injury free for once.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Well the day after the big one, just lazing around the house today with very sore ITB pain on both sides. Hope everyone is ok today - I read all the posts so well done again everyone!! Sorry for this epic post.

Had hoped for a 04:30:00, ended up at 04:47:23, which while a slight downer, certainly didn't ruin my day as I was absolutely delighted to finish a marathon! Never ever thought I'd be able to do one - if you'd asked me even a year ago I'd have laughed at you.

My splits tell the whole story really:
    10K 01:02:56 10:23:32 am 10:08
    HALF 02:13:34 11:34:10 am 10:16
    20MILE 03:25:51 12:46:27 pm 10:29
    FINISH 04:47:23 2:07:59 pm 13:10
    Avg. Pace 10:59

Started out with the 04:30 pacers, which in hindsight, I think was my first mistake. The 04:40 would have been the group for me. My endurance has been a big issue for my long runs, thought I had 04:30 in me, but obviously not. Kept with them and mistake #2 was made in the Park where I was feeling great and went on ahead. Realised this, told myself I was an idiot and would pay later, but didn't remedy the situation. Half way point I was in reasonable shape, but I'd found miles 11 to 13 difficult (bit of a drag and into the wind if I remember, and the sun shining right into my face).

Terenure was fantastic, the crowd were amazing, take a bow Terenure. Felt good running through there. Coming in around Orwell Road is where my muscles started to get sore, and I started to flag around here, but kept a reasonable pace going. Around Roebuck it all went pear shaped, had to do some short walks, the 04:30 pacers passed me which along with the increasing pains in my legs and tiredness, I found very tough mentally. Plan B was to watch the pace and hopefully keep ahead of the 04:40 pacers, but I was starting to do longer spells of walking at this stage, around Nutley and down onto Merrion Road, where the 04:40 pacers then passed me. This was a hammer blow to be honest, as I'd thought even if things go bad, I'll come in between these two pace groups.

At this point I was in agony really, and very tired. My stomach was not great from about 15 miles on, and tbh, I didn't take on enough fuel - I just couldn't stomach anything. Decided I wasn't going to let the 04:50 paces by me, and just tried to jog along as much as I could. Got to 25 miles and my Garmin conked (new battery required I reckon) but at that point met my mother-in-law with my two kids (my wife was also running) and I was so happy to see them. My son had his club jersey on like me and we ran the last mile together - it was really special and something we both relished. Finished with a big smile on my face, and all thoughts of time were forgotten at that point because I had just done a marathon and shared the finish with my son. Felt very bad for about half an hour after - couldn't talk to my wife when I met her, struggled to walk around, tingles all over my head and arms, was pretty close to walking over to the St. Johns guys and asking for help. When I could stomach a cheese sambo I'd brought with me, I improved very quickly thankfully.

What a day though, really enjoyed the experience and had a great night with my fellow club members who ran it also.

High points:
    - finishing!
    - seeing my kids, the last mile and crossing the line with my son
    - meeting my wife after and hearing she knocked half an hour off last year's DCM, delighted for her
    - walking around (as bad as I was) with a finishers medal proud as punch
    - Facebook going mad all last night with congrats messages from family and friends
    - seeing the fantastic improvements in all my club members times
    - the brilliant supporters all along the course

Low points:
    - Seeing my goal going badly wrong
    - The mental toughness of seeing pace groups pass you - big learning experience for me having never run with pacers before
    - The physical pain of the last 6 miles
    - How truly dreadful I felt for about half an hour after finishing

Have to give a special mention to the supporters. Completely surpassed my expectations - starting miles in town, north circular, Park, Chapelizod, Dolphins Bar, Crumlin, Kimmage, Terenure and all from there through Milltown, Clonskeagh, Roebuck, UCD, back into town through Ballsbridge and then the final mile.... awesome. People cheering, kids with high 5s, shouting support, calling your name, offering you sweets etc. - they were all brilliant. Terenure was special, the support was just amazing, really got me going again.

Anyway congrats all, great to see everyone made it in the end, and thanks again for the support and advice on here, especially from CM, and lots of nice words from Ososlo.

Lastly but not least, this will be my new sig: My Garmin quit, I didn't. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done to all the Novices who completed their first DCM yesterday.....

Whether you achieved your goal time or not has little relevance at this point. You have completed a gruelling event that will teach you a lot about yourself and what you can achieve. It will also help form a better understanding of your training going forward should you decide to tackle another marathon.

Congratulations to you and well done to CM who has done a great job on this thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Congrats to you all, well done on making it to the end.

I had wanted a sub 4 hour and was bang on target until mile 23 when my body just shut down. It was like a switch, fine and feeling strong one second and then bang! Like being taken out by a sniper. Suffered the last 3miles and lost some time but came home in 4:04 so still absolutely thrilled. I also knew I had given it everything. My tank was well and truly empty when I crossed the line.

I felt so strong at mile 16 that I picked up the pace a little, not by much, but about 10secs a mile, I'm not sure whether it was this very slight increase that caused my "wall" at mile 23, but I don't think so, I felt right up until mile 23 that I was running well within myself. Anyway I'm ecstatic with finishing and getting 4:04 (means I have to do another to beat 4hrs) I was beginning to get emotional coming up Nassau Street, the support was amazing.

Stiff and sore today but very happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

are there any threads on here advising on rest time and recovery after completing a marathon?
    i was going to start a new one but thought i'd ask in here first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

ooter wrote: »
    are there any threads on here advising on rest time and recovery after completing a marathon?

Was wondering that myself but suppose we all should know our own body and when it stops hurting get the runners back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ooter wrote: »
    ssshhh123 wrote: »
    Was wondering that myself but suppose we all should know our own body and when it stops hurting get the runners back on.

Totally different for every individual but a guide is an easy day for every mile raced. So 26 easy days, 4 weeks.

An easy day is either rest or short runs nothing faster than MP+10% (i think)

The HH 4 week guide that CM posted is a good starting point. I wouldn't recommend running at all this week. Give the body a break.

Cheers,definitely won't be doing any running this week,couple of swims but that's it.
    Must have a look at that hal higdon plan,I did the novice programme so it would make sense to follow that.
    I was in mcgrattans for about an hour yesterday but headed off,don't really like sitting in pubs on my own.it's a pity we didn't wear something with our usernames on it

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

3:52:29 for me. I'm absolutely delighted!

Just back home in Galway now, will leave a full report as soon as I unpack and put my smelly marathon gear in the wash (probably twice). Had a quick read through the boards here and I am so happy for everyone who ran.

WE DID IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭donnacha

So thought I'd put together my first ever race report. Watch out its very, very long :D

Preparation up to Sunday I think went fine. Like others I won't be rushing back to eating lots of pasta and bagels in the immediate future. Had 1 beer Friday night and 1 beer Saturday which helped with the anxiousness. Clocks going back Sunday am was great as is made getting up that bit earlier not such a bad thing. Sunday I felt I was well hydrated so started laying off a bit on the water as I was going to the toilet a lot.

Morning of DCM: Up at 5:40am, put on 500ml of filter coffee. Had intended just drinking 250ml but after eating my porridge and having shower etc I still hadn't visited the toilet so took on the rest of the coffee. Thankfully by 7:15am the toilet called and the first major race day hurdle was overcome :P
    Got into Merrion Square for 8am. At this point I lit up my last smoke before the race (Yes I'm a smoker - a vice I haven't overcome yet though weight loss and doing exercise was my primary goal over the past couple of yrs). Got lots of funny looks as I strolled towards the bag drop - but for me the smoke really helped with the nerves.

The Pen: Before heading for the pen I visited the portaloos - queues were fine and I ended up in the pen at around 8:40 about 5/6 rows back from the 3:50 pacers. At 8:50 I took 2 gels. Just before 9am I could feel the toilet beckoning again so decided I wasn't going to set off like this and headed out of the pen for the portaloos again. Thankfully I managed to get back just before the 9:10 gun went off - was in line with the 4 hr pacers and decided that would do to begin with and to enjoy the start.

Garmin Miles 1-5: 43:37 (8:59, 8:37, 8:47, 8:47, 8:27)
    Felt absolutely amazing. First 0.5 mile was quite slow but I'd expected that with the crowd (around 9:17 pace) but as we made our way down Kildare St it picked up a bit and by Mile 3 I was tucked in around 100 meters behind the 3:50 pacers. Had a belt with me with 2 x 250ml bottles of water so ignored the mayhem at the first drinks station and just after coming in the park gates (mile 4) I took a gel.

Garmin Miles 6-10: 42:11 (8:23, 8:30, 8:35, 8:03, 8:40)
    Total Time: 1:25:48
    *10km Chip Time: 54:20
    Was sort of expecting the course to open up a bit as we heading through the park but found it still very congested. Had to concentrate a heck of a lot on my running path and those around me as runners vied for positions at such an early stage of the run. Around mile 7 found myself needing the toilet(again!) - found a tree but got stage fright :o so didn't hang there long and just got back to running again. Was back up behind 3:50 pacers coming along chapelizod road and took on another gel. Ignored water station on St Laurence Rd as still had plenty on my belt. At this point though a fellow runner dropped his lucozade and tried to save it - but instead fell himself landing on the bottle. Thankfully no-one went over on top of him that I could see and he himself was already getting back up off the ground - worst impact for my race was I'd managed to get my left runner and sock absolutely soaked in lucozade. Next mile was bit squelchy :p

Garmin Miles 11-15: 43:04 (8:36, 8:44, 8:52, 8:30, 8:22)
    Total Time: 2:08:52
    *Half Chip Time: 1:54:21
    Was feeling great and really enjoying the crowds out supporting us. Was getting quite warm (had a base layer t-shirt underneath my running top) so decided to try and grab a drink on Crumlin Rd after taking a gel. Massive error on my part here as I grabbed a lucozade instead of a water. Never trained with it and didn't either enjoy the taste or find it refreshing. I did however drink half of it before offering it to another runner. :(

Garmin Miles 16-20: 43:48 (8:38, 8:28, 8:36, 8:51, 9:15)
    Total Time: 2:52:40
    Was still going absolutely fine - keeping the pacers within 50/100 meters of me and took on a gel coming up templeogue road. As throughout the course the crowds were fantastic and the random name calls from strangers made a great substitute for my normal companion of the mp3 player on a long run. Still was amazed at how condensed the running crowd was and had a few near collisions as runners converged at turns with the odd runner that just doesn't pay any attention to others. Coming off Terenure Rd I got the 1st sign things weren't going to stay perfect forever. I suddenly started feeling really sick in the stomach - this has never happened to me before and I was also felt like I was overheating from the tight tshirt base layer I'd warn for the expected wind. Told myself I'd take a toilet break once I saw some loos as I was still bursting after the failed toilet stop in the park. Passed portaloos at either the Orwell / Milltown station but there was a queue so I battled on. Managed to grab a water but just couldn't stomach it with the nausea which progressively getting worse. I also had planned a gel at this point but just couldn't face it. Clonskeagh was the first mental battle with myself to keep the pace as I began to very slowly lose the 3:50 pacers. They must have been 250 meters ahead of me as I took the turn up for Roebuck.

Garmin Miles 21-25: 50:53 (10:12, 9:20, 10:24, 10:26, 10:25) :(
    Total Time: 3:43:27
    *20 Mile Chip Time: 2:55:39
    Just after the offical 20 mile timing mat I finally found a green area with some big trees and off the road away from spectators to finally relieve myself of the liquid that had been building up for the past 14 miles! I also tried to get the base layer off but it wasn't shifting and I was worried about getting going again so off I set. This stop helps explains my first 10min plus mile on my garmin. I knew my wife, kids, sister and godson would all be cheering me on at the bottom of Fosters Avenue. I'd also lost the 3:50 pacers at this point due to the stop and did my best to get going again but I was really suffering badly with the nausea and found I couldn't focus in on a group of people to pull me along. Saw my family and tried to keep head held up high - it gave me a brief boost but then I turned onto Stillorgan Rd and boom I hit the wall. The hardest part of writing the report is admitting I had to stop to walk - I felt like I physically needed to get sick and the more I tried the more I was concerned that if I did get sick I'd never get going again. Had that internal battle that I'm sure many of you reading this have faced up to before. Somehow from somewhere I got going again but the pace was frightening. Went through a bit of what I can only describe as a "slow motion" period after crossing the flyover at UCD. I don't know what happened but for a brief minute or two the head became clearer and I managed to piece together where I was and what I needed to do to cross the line Sub 4 hrs. It dawned on me then that even at what felt like this snail pace I was running at that if I kept it up I'd be there or thereabouts so I just had to dig in. I managed to grab a water at the water station near the bottom of Nutley Lane and got a couple of sips in and threw a bit on the face to try and cool down. I can safely say this 1 mile between Stillorgan Rd and Merrion Rd was the longest and toughest mile I have ever faced. Merrion Rd, Shelbourne Rd and Grand Canal is all a bit of blur in my memory banks. What I remember is that I got a hell of a lot of support from the Dublin crowds. I also saw lots of carnage around me - I was even passing some people at my snail pace but more significantly I was getting passed by lots of runners.

Garmin Miles 26-26.57: 15:43 (10:08, 5:35)
    Total Garmin Time: 3:59:10
    *Marathon Chip Time: 3:59:08
    The final mile and a bit I have a much better memory of. Yes it was tough but I'd become aware I wasn't feeling nausea anymore - crowds were cheering everywhere and though I was still being passed it wasn't as frequent. Turning onto Nassau St and watching and waiting for the finish line to come into sight is a memory that will never leave me. I came up to the finish line with my arms held high in the air.

Post Race:
    When I first set out with thoughts of running the marathon (it was after the 10km samsung night run in April) I dreamt of running a sub 4hr race, which is something I'm very proud to have achieved. At the same time I went into this race dreaming of doing a sub 3hr 50 race. Could I have done that on my training? That is something I really need to think about over the coming weeks. I missed 4 high mileage wks of training from late Aug until late Sept with my knee injury - amazingly the knee played no major factor on the day. Was I wrong to go out with the 3:50 pacers? I hand on my heart don't think so - I was so unbelievably comfortable and running within myself up to when the sickness hit. Maybe others here will think I was foolish but I'd trained for months to run the race at this pace.

Was it just the lack of mileage or where there other issues?
    I think there were two major contributing factors - both I have no excuse for as I'd been told many many times here not to do either:
    1. I wouldn't normally run with a base layer on very long runs - yes on short runs. I believe heat on the day for me was an issue and wish I'd just stopped earlier and taken the bloody thing off before it got too messy. The weather reports running up to the day totally f*cked with me head - I'll never let that happen again.
    2. I stupidly drank that lucozade drink during the race. I know I shouldn't have done it as I've never drank it during a training run before - I think the heat got to my head and its the decision I regret the most.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for their advice and guidance to my many foolish questions over the past 6 mths. I was aware the running community was pretty special before from the couple of trail runs I'd done in St Annes. But the support, advice and guidance here has been beyond anything I've encountered before. A special shout out for the mentoring throughout from career_move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

A copy of my blog post on running DCM2013

Of all the blogs i do whether politics fitness or waffle based. it would be pointless to leave out a blog on completing my 1st marathon. 2nd of January i set out training with the aim of the Dublin marathon as my goal. Flash forward 969km later and i made it to the starting line feeling fresh as a daisy, now that feeling was not staying around long.

The day start alot earlier then normal with the alarm going off at 6am. Downstairs for a breakfast of scrambled egg on toast porridge and a bagel washed down with Kinetica prefuel and water. Out the door at 7.20 and on route to Dublin. My dad has a very odd way of getting around the city but arrived at the baggage area just before 8 left off my bag and went to the info tent to try and swap starting waves from 4.15+ to the 3:50-4:15 waves and that was easily done. So moved down to the starting area to see people floating about some doing stretching and running others trying to conserve energy for the run that was in front of them. As for me i did a bit of both and chatted to other runners who were floating about. At 8.45 i took off the top and bottoms i was using to keep me warm and moved into place as the wave was starting to fill up as i moved up and tried to get near the 4hr pacers i also had a pack of caffeinated jelly beans. the next 20 mins were a blur and i just about remember moving into place for the start of wave 2. At 9.10 the gun sounded as alot of clothes seemed to be flying into the air as the last of the warm up clothes came off other runners and we were off. At this stage i felt great nothing would stop me finding the finish line.

For the 1st few kilometres was very packed and you had to be careful not to trip anyone like i did to some poor lady on the bottom of O'Connell St. But as the early miles ticked off it felt like it was going to be a good day. 1st 5km was done in an average pace of 5.35/km but as i passed the 6.4km mark and entered Phoenix Park that was all about to change as my right knee starting give a small sharp pain so i tried my best to run it off and slow down. As i was doing this i came across a group of ladies from Dunleek AC and decided to pop in and join there team for a little while in an effort to slow down and give my knee a rest, i then went off again on my own feeling a little better shown by km9 been my fastest so far at 5m14s. i then passed the 10km mark at 55.26 but shortly after this the knee pain got worse and my times started going near 5:50/km and to make my day even better at the 1st water stop one gentleman decided to stick his hand in front of me to get a bottle of water and pulled my earphones out and while i was putting them back in some woman decided to take my water bottle off the table. As i want back to running i notice the 3hr50 paces which i had been running near were out of sight. So continued running on but as we reached the bottom of chapelizod hill i had to start walking for a little while to give my knee a break and started walk running at the stage was still 90% running.

While here i also came across a friends dad and this made me start running again. It was getting tougher as the knee was starting to hurt more and as i was running though crumlin road the 4hr paces passed me out but i tried my best to keep them in sight in a slim hope of holding onto my sub 4 aim. As i came closer to the halfway mark the chances of me finding the finishline were getting slimmer and slimmer and i was starting to hit a low point mentally and i came up to the half way point i decided that i was throwing in the towel it was not my day and last thing i wanted to do was injury myself. but as i came to the half way point in 02:03:44 or 13:15 longer then the dublin half there was no ambulance or 1st Aiders here so i decided to keep running/walking till i found them as i found them a little further up the idea of quiting left my head and i continued running. As i came to the walkenstown roundabout the odds on me finding the finished would have been 10/1 id imagine.

But i keep moving forward at this stage it was 60/40 walking id imagine. At some water stop i pulled in the pain in my knee was that bad i stopped to try and stretch it out and some random tried to hand me a sheet i had a look at it and it appeared to be the mass times for the local church (talk about wrong place and time) So after stretching out i continued running and at the next water stop which i think was the 16mile mark roughly i saw a few lads getting deep heat from the St john ambulance and decided to rub some on my knee to hope of easing the pain and of course it did the total opposite to that and 500m up the road i was barely able to walk let alone running i was pulling in every 50m or so to stretch out my knee and at this time my left calf was starting to cramp on me but nothing to write home about.

So i finally got to the stage were i was able to run/walk again and starting around the 30km mark just saying over and over in my head 12 12 12 or you cant get to 11 with out going though 12 to try and take my mind off the pain.to show how i had slowed down my time for the 20mile mark was 03:21:23 meaning it had taken me 1hr 18 to do 6.9miles which normally i would do in about 40-50 minutes. So i was getting the miles done was in a lot of pain but as some of the signs around me said if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

But at the 35km i stopped to stretch my knee and left calf and the left calf completely seized up on me to the point i was not able to place my foot flat on the ground. so i gently stretched it out till i was able to place to flat on the ground. At this point 2 young girls were looking at me and i must have looked bad because there look quite frighten at me. Finally i continued on walk running and counting down the miles at the stage the 4.10 paces had passed me so the aim was simple to find the finishline and i will be happy. So i was still in pain and trying to run as much as i could. The one thing that really got you going was the crowd at the low points and there was a few hearing people calling your name and shouting encouragement really helped. As i got to ballsbridge i was in a place i knew well and was telling myself about the number of times i have been at this point and walked into the city centre and you can surely do it today.

So i continued as we entered the city centre the crowds and encouragement grew and i started getting a little faster and running as much as i could. but was still walking little bits was back to 80/20 running at this stage. Was in bits as i came to pearse st and was thinking the finish was would never come but got encouragement off an on duty gaurd at this point and keep running and walking if only a had to. as i rounded trinity i was running low on energy but as i turned onto Nassau Street i finaly saw it the finish line it was real. So i summoned what ever energy was left and started running and as the finish line came closer i heard a shout of go on Philip and looked to see one of my neighbors there. So i kept running and finally after 4hr 30 minutes and 2 seconds it arrived i passed the finish line and could now call myself a marathon runner. I collected my medal and goodie bag and for the second race in a row there was a hole in the bottom of it.

At this point i tried stretching on a railing but got moved on by a steward. so keep walking for fear if i stopped walking for any period i would not be able to move again. So then i collect my bag and finally sat down for a few minutes of a set of steps and relaxed but also made sure my legs did not go stuff and once i felt strong enough to move i went to ring my dad to see where he was but of course no answer so i remembered him saying something about the Dail so walked/hobbled around to the entrance where there was no sign of him so continued onto my post race treat a starbucks coffee and IIRC one coffee returned 1/4 of the calories that i lost by running the 26.2 miles.

So from start of training to the finish line 90 hours on the road 1015km run 93 different sessions was it worth it i'd say it was. And i know come Bank Holiday Monday next October where i will be. I'll be in search of the sub 4hr marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fruit pastille

Flippin hell scheister - that was some tale of marathon woe! I felt your pain the whole way through it. I know you're supposed to dig deep when you're in pain but you must have nearly been in Australia! I'm in awe

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Was it just me or did anyone else sweat like fcuk in bed last night?

npresto wrote: »
    Was it just me or did anyone else sweat like fcuk in bed last night?

Not sure what you were up to but no quite cold all night ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fruit pastille

Yeah I was freezing, couldn't get warm. Stomach still not up to eating much either - I'm blaming the gels!

• Advertisement

Yeah I was freezing, couldn't get warm. Stomach still not up to eating much either - I'm blaming the gels!

Those gels are evil.. Never want.to see one again as long as i live. Need to.think of alternative for next marathon training cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Ososlo wrote: »
    Those gels are evil.. Never want.to see one again as long as i live. Need to.think of alternative for next marathon training cycle.

A few of you guys seem to have had problems with them, how many were people taking? I find I can tolerate 4 or so but no more. Also it bears mentioning that when you push your body really hard stomach problems can ensue. After some of my hardest race efforts (particularly 3000m to 10k) I find I could be on the toilet all night if I pushed to the absolute limit...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Martypk

First of all a massive well done to you all that completed the Marathon. What an achievement. That`s the way I feel about it despite the fact that my plans A and B went out the window relatively early and I had only plan C to fall back on. Plan C was to finish at all costs. So here`s my little story. I`ll try to keep it short. But probably won`t be able to :pac:

I had trained the last couple of months with a target of 8 min miles. I`d been able to start getting those times so I had high hopes for the big day. I felt fresh and confident before the start. My body had other ideas.:(
    I set of at the back of the 3.30 group and only got to mile 3 before I had to rush to the sideline as i was feeling very sick. It stayed down but when I looked up again the group was heading into the distance. My legs felt very tired and i was still feeling woozy so I decided time for plan B. I have no idea why I felt this bad. I`d done everything as I should have, rested, ate well, did some light running in the week but who knows why it happened...it just did. So on with the run.
    Plan B was to drop to 9min mile pace which I did and managed the first 10K in 54.18. I was now aiming for a finish of under 4hrs.
    Somewhere along the way I met with Bulmers74. He slowed down enough to have a quick chat and then zoomed of again.Well done on your time big lad. You should be very proud of yourself.
    8 miles in and my right knee started to grumble. By the halfway point I was at 2.05 so still in with a shout at the 4hrs but the knee was starting to get painful.
    Between 13 and 17 miles things just got worse and worse. I was now getting sharp pains in the knee until finally around 19miles I had to bite the bullet and start walking. At 30k I was on 3.31 but I knew that was it for a decent time.
    I was cursing myself for this as I pride myself on never walking or at least only on 2 or 3 occasions in my early training.
    The last 7 miles were done in 90minutes and were a combination of slow running until the knee got too sore then walking until the pain eased of and run again ( if it could even be called running ).
    I had my name on the front of my vest and my boards.ie user name on the back. Although I was feeling down, the atmosphere around me and the crowd calling my name and giving me encouragement is something I`ll never forget. I even got runners passing me calling out c`mon boardsie.
    I also has one lady pass me shouting that she has never posted but always follows this thread. A big hello to you.
    It was great to meet quinlivan ( well done on your time ) as he passed me. Then along came Fruit Pastille. Hi to you too.
    Hello to pansophelia, I didn`t get a chance to talk to you but I heard you shout hello.
    I must have started running at one point cos Ososlow came up beside me and introduced herself. Thanks for taking the time to run with me for a short while. It was good to meet you.

Anybody else that recognized my name and shouted encouragement I thank you for that. It meant a lot.
    By the time I reached 24 miles I had made a promise to myself to run the last 2 miles no matter how I felt.
    So I ran those 2 miles and though my knee was protesting I still ran across the line. The cheering crowd were immense and I was able to wave to my family frantically waving and shouting from the side.

Marathon chip time 5.00.02

I didn`t make it to the pub to meet with you guys. I was too sore to walk much. Maybe sometime in the future.

I`ve caught the bug now. I`m entering next years as soon as I can.

Overall the experience was something I`m glad to be part off. The people and support in the running community is nothing short of amazing.
    To buggawugga and Paulo I know how you felt that day, but we finished.

And now we can all call ourselves Marathon Runners.

Stomach still not up to eating much either

I ate a whole 15" pizza last night after 4 nice post-marathon pints! :p

drquirky wrote: »
    A few of you guys seem to have had problems with them, how many were people taking?

I took 7 - 1 gel before the start and 6 during the race

npresto wrote: »
    I took 7 - 1 gel before the start and 6 during the race

7:eek: I brought 4 but could only stomach 3.

from the events thread:

The race video just went online http://mysports.tv/

Martypk wrote: »
    I must have started running at one point cos Ososlow came up beside me and introduced herself. Thanks for taking the time to run with me for a short while. It was good to meet you.

ah Marty, good to hear from you. I know there's a fine line between encouragement and annoyance when feeling as bad as you did yesterday so hope I wasn't too annoying. Fair play man for getting through.
    See you on the start next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Pre-race
    Had a dry cough in the days leading up to the race and it still hadn't gone away by race morning. That put doubts in my mind about my body being able to go 100% but I would soon find out. Only had 2 hours sleep, 30min around 2am and 4.30-6.00am. Didn't feel all that tired though and I wasn't particularly worried about it. Positioned myself halfway between the 3.30 & 3.40 pacers, discarded my top and headed for the start line. Would I finish? Will I blow up and hobble home? Will I beat my primary target of 3.30?

Miles 1-4
    Stayed about 100m back from the 3.30 pacers in the first couple of miles. The laces on my left shoe ripped going up O'Connell St and I began to worry about losing position on the pacers having to stop and retie. Looking back now that was a silly concern and didn't make any measurable difference to my performance. By the end of mile 4 I was on the tale of the pacer who had dropped back from the other two.

Miles 5-13
    Covered this section of the race with the 3.30 group. Felt comfortable and my breathing was very relaxed. Feeling so comfortable, I was able to forget about racing at times and talk in some of the great scenery in the Phoenix Park. It got very narrow during parts of the park and there was a lot of chopping and justling for position in the group. The second water station was a disaster with only a table on the left. So many people started cutting across from right to left and it was lucky someone didn't end up on the ground. I had just taken my first gel but the with the mess at the station I decided I'd be better off to keep going than joining the scrum. A few hundred meters past the station one of the pacers offed a bottle of water which I was happy to accept. Kept wondering if he was one of the boards lads and had planned on finding out at McGrathans after but more on that in a bit.

Miles 13-20
    This was the toughest part of the race for me. Mentally very challenging. I suspect I may have spent too much time on my feet on Sunday as just after half way, I could feel my calves already starting to tire. Passed through half way with team 3.30 in 1.44.19. I found miles 13-15 especially tough mentally. No way I'll be able to hold this pace for another 10 miles I was telling myself. At the same time I was willing myself to get to mile 20, it's just 6 miles from there, I've done run 6 miles so many times now, it'll be no problem from there right? Although my legs were tiring, my breathing was still comfortable and this gave me confidence to counter argue with myself.

Whatever it was about it the turn at bushy park, maybe it was just having the sun to my back, I felt as if I got my second wind. Felt strong for the first time in quite a while and found myself going past the pacers. Still 10 miles left though so I made sure I didn't go more than 10 meters ahead.

Going through the first town after bushy park, the dj calling out names of passers by managed to pick me out. Put your hands in the air Stephen from the kingdom. Waaaaheeey :D

Final two gels at mile 15 & 18 are tough to swallow but I know they have to go down. The thoughts of gels post race are stomach turning.

Miles 20-24
    Still just a few meters ahead of the paces going past the 20 mile marker. That seemed to be a good spot to avoid congestion as someone was finally tripped up at this point. Felt sorry for the guy and can't imagine how disgusted he must be.

Looking into the distance I see the much talked about Roebuck hill in the distance. Still unsure about my endurance (naturally over my maiden trip), I quite audibly uttered an uh-oh. The pacers were great here, shouting encouragement and willing everyone to the peak.

Just 10 seconds more
    All flat and downhill after this
    Over the top and it wasn't near as sapping as I suspected it might have been. Starting to feel that 3.30 may be a possibility for the first time. Over the flyover and the crowds are fantastic. Kids along the side of the road with their hands out for high 5's. Thinking myself some kind of athlete I willingly oblige. Going past the RDS, I feel as if I'm working harder to keep with the pacers. The ups and downs of marathon running continue. Turning right after the RDS, one of the pacers gesturing for the crowd and screams at them for encouragement for the 3.30s. Going through the mile 24 marker, I'm right on this pacers shoulder.

Miles 25 - 26.2
    The crowds are absolutely amazing at this stage. Both sides of the roads are lined and urging every single participant on. At some stage during the 25th mile, I begin to push on from the the 3.30s. I put in a burst of speed for about a min, then tuck in for 30sec and burst again. I'm surging past a number of people and the crowd notices me finishing strong. A few call out my name as I continue to surge in bursts. Sub 3.30 is in the bag but how much under it can I go. Through 25 miles, just 1 to go. This is one of the best moments my life. I take in the atmosphere dish out a few more high 5's. A big smile on my face I come around the front of Trinity.

Here up front I spot my Dad and sister who've traveled up from Kerry earlier in the morning. I had no idea where they'd be along the course and though my chance spotting them would be low. I let out big heeeeeey as I pass in what actually is one of the better moments of my life. A moment I'll remember for the rest of my life.

Through mile 26 and with sub 3.30 firmly in the bag, I don't feel the need to burst my balls towards the finish line for the sake of a few seconds. Instead I take in the atmosphere cross the line with a massive smile.

Chip time - 3.28.02
    :D:D:D

That's also what my watch read, was hoping the official time would knock off the 2secs but it make no real difference. Not bad for someone who started running 20 weeks ago. There might be a semi decent runner in me if I stick with it (which I fully expect on doing). How soon till sub 3?

Post race
    Collect my medal and tee shirt and turn the first corner around merrion square. Find a spot on the footpath and sit down for a while. When I try to get up again my stomach completely turns. I take a sip of water and struggle to keep it down. I suddenly get extremely cold and feel the color draining from my face. I try to get to the baggage reclaim so I can add lairs. After I take the second turn around Merrion Square to the baggage reclaim I start dry reaching and have to set on the step of a van parked nearby. It's 5 minutes before I'm able to move but I hobble on and pick up my bag. I put on my jumper, a hate and gloves but it's an hour before I'm feeling ok again. I hope this is just down to the shock my body is experiencing as opposed to any underlying condition.

While going through this, I strangely wasn't in the mood for alcohol so I decided not to go to McGrathans. Pity as I really wanted to meet and share the experience with fellow novices and also thank any wonderful 3.30 pacers that may have been frequenting the place.

I couldn't put my body through that again right?

Then why is the only question I seem to be asking myself, "How close to sub 3 can I get next time out".

• Advertisement

sorry to put a downer on this thread but i'm just back from the vets after having to get my poor dog put to sleep,the ups and downs of life eh?
    from the highs of yesterday to this low,i'll certainly never forget this bank holiday weekend.:(

Advertisement