Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

North Korea v USA Mega Merge.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

donvito99 wrote: »
    It'll play out like this.

North Korea invades America.

US invades Iran.

China invades the US while they have their backs turned.

The Russians invade China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

As cruel and horrible as war sounds I would like this game to start and end already. I just want to hear and read everybody's reaction. Some opinions are just great for a laugh. But then at the end of the day you have to step back and count the loss of life the young men women and children who didn't want to be caught up in it but where. It's never a happy ending but life goes on. Personally At this stage if NK are serious about making threats weather they act on them or not they deserve what they get. no country, man or woman should stand by while someone threatens them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

We've had this kind of posturing from North Korea for years. Nothing major has ever come of it. However, fatty seems to have an inferiority complex or wants to play commander in chief a little.

We all had that one idiot in school who talked big but never actually got challenged. Only eventually the time comes when its time to put the issue to rest. Either fatty is going to talk himself into a corner right in front of his "beloved citizens" and have to strike the south, or that nuke they're tinkering with will start looking nice and operational.

Anyone have any idea what the story is with the Norths military on this. I've seen their hardware and it look like Russian stuff bought second hand from Cuba or something. :rolleyes:

I can imagine a **** load of surrendering going on. Particularly from their main defensive line which could compose of a load of battalions told run that way and keep shooting while fatty runs off to the mountains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Gatling wrote: »
    There's no greater honor death defending your family and country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

We're gonna get some new episodes of MASH out of all this.. Sweet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Noxin wrote: »
    We're gonna get some new episodes of MASH out of all this.. Sweet!

I always found that show really misleading.. the intro starts off all somber and serious - but then it turns into a pretty awful comedy (IMO)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I always found that show really misleading.. the intro starts off all somber and serious - but then it turns into a pretty awful comedy (IMO)

Love it personally. Stupid humor with some seriousness (and some very seriousness every now and then) thrown in.

Each to his own I guess. I know some who hate and some who love it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what the story is with the Norths military on this. I've seen their hardware and it look like Russian stuff bought second hand from Cuba or something. :rolleyes:

I can imagine a **** load of surrendering going on. Particularly from their main defensive line which could compose of a load of battalions told run that way and keep shooting while fatty runs off to the mountains.

The NK military on paper hugely outnumbers that of SK in most military branches, but the difference is that SK has a high quality modernized force - NK has tonnes of obsolete hardware, from artillery to planes. Even leaving out inevitable US assistance, in a self contained civil war SK would still probably win easily enough eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Well whatever we think about Kim Jong-un, I think we can all admit that his song 'Gangham Style' was pretty good.

P.S. North Korea's internet news website if full of amazing facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Awww look... he plans to strike Hawaii, LA, DC, and... Austin Texas?!?!

What does he have against the live music capital?

http://gawker.com/5992872/photo-shows-north-koreas-us-mainland-strike-plan-la-dc-and-austin-texas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

North Korea today released photographs of Kim Jong Un inside his military command centre signing the order to put rockets on standby to attack the U.S. mainland.

Apparently the flight of stealth bombers yesterday has got Kim excited

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why can't they settle it the old fashioned way ?

Pulgasari vs. Godzilla

Then again they'd both probably team up against the common enemy

This is what the Japanese think of the US version 'zilla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

This shit can escalate.

Yeah, in your head it can if you believe all the rubbish the media feed you.

If you actually lived in South Korea, well then its a totally different story. They are a technologically superior nation and the natives have been listening to this tripe for decades. They're aren't so bothered about it so why would you?

Funny how perceptions halfway across the world can be totally skewed to those actually living day to day with this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

books4sale wrote: »
    Yeah, in your head it can if you believe all the rubbish the media feed you.

If you actually lived in South Korea, well then its a totally different story. They are a technologically superior nation and the natives have been listening to this tripe for decades. They're aren't so bothered about it so why would you?

Funny how perceptions halfway across the world can be totally skewed to those actually living day to day with this stuff.

I was reading the BBC news website today and apparently the older generation are getting a bit worried about this in South Korea whereas the younger generation just laugh it off (purely cos they are used to it at this stage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Sadly, your the type of person propaganda was invented for.

Its on TV so it must be true
    Indeed I am. Luckily I have intelligent people like you to tell me how it really is. I feel much blessed. Yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

pmcmahon wrote: »
    This north korea stuff is really taking the eye off the Iran and israel situation that is seriously going south over the past week.Seems everyone is talking nuclear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

China needs to step in here and tell NK to cop the **** on. If NK re-initiates hostilities they will be blown further back into the stone age than they already are. It will cause an even greater humanitarian problem in the country and force millions over the border into China. They don't want that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

the yanks have far superior firepower and eddie murphy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

N. Korea says it enters 'war' against S. Korea

SEOUL, March 29 (Yonhap) -- North Korea announced Saturday that it has entered a state of war against South Korea.

In a special statement, the North said it will deal with every inter-Korean issue in a wartime manner.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2013/03/30/0200000000AEN20130330000500315.HTML

• Advertisement

15 mins ago I refreshed front page and all 3 Korea threads were 1, 2 & 3 on the list. I thought the red button must have been pushed!

Got out of my warm, cosy bed and ran down stairs to turn on TV. No 'newsflash' on any news channel.

Do I head back to my cosy bed or start digging a bunker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

donvito99 wrote: »
    All depends on the Chinese.

Great bunch of lads, the Chinese.

Money talks though, the Chinese may have previously been an allie to North Korea, but they know they'd be f&&ked if the west imposed trade restrictions.

I'm guess Kim is testing how far he can push the international community, he'd have to be seriously delusioned to think he'd come out on top if a war broke out.

Strange thing is, off all the countries in the world it's one I'd love to visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just go to bed as normal, if by chance you happen to wake up tomorrow morning all will have been well. Sleep tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

this state of war news is now breaking on reuters.
    waiting 4 sky to pull the finger out.

NORTH KOREA SAYS TO ENTER "STATE OF WAR" AGAINST SOUTH KOREA - KCNA

Reuters

Go to bed. It's another escalation but nothing will happen anytime soon I reckon. If at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

North Korea has officially announced its now at a State of war with south korean and the us

North Korea has officially announced its now at a State of war with south korean and the us

Links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

any source for the US bit? only mentions south korea anywhere ive seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

What does this mean? I've just seen it on Sky News. Are they officially at war or on a war footing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Where do you see that they're in a state of war with the USA?

Anyway, they have announced that they're entering war against South Korea. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people in North Korea are happy going to war because the sooner their leader gets defeated the sooner their lives will improve!

Gillo wrote: »
    Links?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/30/us-korea-north-war-idUSBRE92T00020130330
    North Korea says to enter "state of war" against South Korea: KCNA

"From this time on, the North-South relations will be entering the state of war and all issues raised between the North and the South will be handled accordingly," a statement carried by the North's official KCNA news agency said.

The two Koreas have been in a technical state of war because their 1950-53 conflict ended under an armistice and not a peace treaty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Saying you're at war with another nation is very vague unless some sort of act is carried out.

Plenty of Nations around the world dislike another and have bad relations, doesn't mean they are at war.

In saying that NK are imbiciles of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Thrill wrote: »

No mention of being at war with america there...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What does this mean? I've just seen it on Sky News. Are they officially at war or on a war footing?

Yes now all depends if they are stupid enough to launch anything at the south or the US

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

They've been at 'war' for over 60 years at this stage. Now if this statement means they're moving from economic sanctions and all that to soldiers firing bullets at each other remains to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Saying you're at war with another nation is very vague unless some sort of act is carried out.

Plenty of Nations around the world dislike another and have bad relations, doesn't mean they are at war.

In saying that NK are imbiciles of the highest order.

DPRK and ROK have been at war since 1950. No peace treaty was ever signed, just an armistice ceasefire.

COYVB wrote: »
    No mention of being at war with america there...:confused:

I never mentioned the U.S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I want this to happen! I know that makes me a bad Human, but I feel guilty about it. So that makes it OK, yeah? now go and blow the sh1t out of each other

Thanks for the link, the Reuters mobile app had nothing.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    So what? They've always been at war.

I guess N.Korea must have forgotten that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

White House spokesman reckons NK will attack US in pacific if Kim Jong is playing Call of Duty.

All this is is NK flexing their "muscles" in a propaganda stunt for their people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭MrPoker

Is Kim Jong-Un really crazy enough to start a war with South Korea and therefore the US? They will get destroyed however I just hope the Chinese and the Russians side with the US if that does happen or we would all be in trouble. The US seem vulnerable at the moment. Can they finance another war?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone remember the plot for Tomorrow Never Dies ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

MrPoker wrote: »
    Is Kim Jong-Un really crazy enough to start a war with South Korea and therefore the US? They will get destroyed however I just hope the Chinese and the Russians side with the US if that does happen or we would all be in trouble. The US seem vulnerable at the moment. Can they finance another war?
    Yes easily and I wouldn't put my money on Russia or China against them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

MrPoker wrote: »

I don't know, but sounds like a great PS4 exclusive. I hope Naughty Dog makes it.

No way will he kick off a shooting war, surely he ain't that daft. He will however deal with south-north relations as though they were.

That's what I take from it anyway.

Just something to think about but a war in Korea would be very bad for the world economy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_of_South_Korea

You`ll be familiar with alot of big companies there:
    • Daewoo Group
    • FILA
    • Hankook Tires
    • Hynix Semiconductor
    • Hyundai Group
    • Kia Motors
    • Korean Air
    • LG Group
    • Samsung Group
    • SsangYong Group

Seoul is 25 miles from the border and within artillery range. The North Koreans could put one of their nukes on their home made scud missiles and destroy the place. Even without nukes the artillery would flatten the city.

Here is a paper written by Lt Colonel in the USAF
    http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a253214.pdf
    North Korea has over one million men

in uniform versus 650,000 in the ROK, plus 43,000 US men and women in Korea.
    Both North Korea and the ROK possess very large reserves. The North Korean army

fields 30 divisions and 3500 tanks versus 21 ROK divisions and one US division
    operating a total of about 1500 tanks. The North Koreans defend their skies with

over 8000 anti-aircraft artillery (AAA) guns, while the US and ROK forces have

about 600 AA pieces. The North Korean Air Force (NKAF) operates about 750

fighters and attack jets, while the ROK Air Force (ROKAF) has 480 jets, and the
    USA adds another 72 fighter and attack aircraft in the ROK.

That information is out of date now but the Allies have still not increased their forces to match. The Lt Colonel notes that this would be a bloody war and that people have become accustomed to surgical strikes and war with minimal collateral damage after the gulf wars. This would be different due to the terrain and lack of room to manoeuvre (because they must stand and fight and hold the ground in front of Seoul).

It wont be like Israel where they can shoot down the rockets because there will be too many of them and you can`t shoot down artillery anyway.

The Lt Colonel mentions that the topography means there are two possible invasion routes that will bottle the North Koreans. I reckon Korea is the reason the US wants to keep cluster munitions and landmines and it only occurred to me from reading that paper. I can`t blame them.

The paper was written before they knew North Korea had nuclear weapons and basically they do not even make a plan for offensive operations because of the possibility!!!!!!!!! It is left to the politicians.

I think you would probably have to follow it through well if you knew china wouldnt join the fight.

Very messy situation and nuking them wouldn`t work they spent decades "hallowing out mountains" so they have nuclear bomb proof bunkers.

On a side note if you compare and contrast North and South Korea you can be sure that the South are better off socially. Just look at the list of companies. Just like Japan. What cool companies and advances would we have today if South Vietnam had of won the Vietnam war - as unpopular as it was.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

ps only so many times that they can threaten and not follow through with anything.
    If they have to back down they might try kill some poor sailors or fire some artillery on some civilians in South Korea :(

from the paper again:
    North Korea's economy can best be described as a basket case. And
    given present growth rates, the differences will only increase in the future.
    North Korea could view the course of events as being Irreversible and adopt a

"now or never" attitude in order to force reunification with the South before the

situation gets even worse.
    History is replete with

examples where nations with "now-or-never" perceptions made otherwise seemingly

irrational decisions to achieve their objectives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement