Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 phase genny question

Options
  • 29-03-2013 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi all
    I need to run a workshop off a generator for a few days, the workshop is all single phase. I have access to a large generator think it's 100 kva but the only outlet is a 3 phase socket. My question is can i run a single phase supply from this using 1 phase, neutral and earth or will I have problems with the other 2 phases with no load on them, what are my options? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The genny is 100Kva 3 Phase, but if you can't split your single phase loads across the 3 phases, then the genny will be limited to an absolute max of 30Kva single phase, and while it will work, it's not going to be very efficient, and if overloaded, there may be problems with voltage regulation and overheating of the alternator internal wiring due to the imbalance of the load.

Is there any way of splitting the load across the phases?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

Yes, thanks Steve, i was thinking there would be problems with the unbalanced load, i have a few distribution boards which i could split across the 3 phases but the main one will be drawing the biggest laod by far.

Advertisement