Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Website Rights

• 29-03-2013 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

I was just wondering i have made up my website it is up and running becuase im using all free hosting and made my website completely free can someone the the rights to my website, Or would i need to patent it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Seriously be alot of help of someone could clear this up :?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

If its being hosted by someone, essentially you are not the only person that can control what goes on it.

You should get your own domain name and host it yourself using your broadband connection and a spare pc if you want sole rights to your website. I wouldn't trust free hosts ever.

I don't understand what you mean by patent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

There shouldn't be patent issues unless your site comprises some new technology that you want to patent - most sites don't.

You own the copyright to everything you create (automatically, instantly), and to those things where you explicitly purchase copyright ownership, and to those things created explicitly for you under a Work For Hire agreement.

You do not usually own the copyright to things you modify that you got from someone else (e.g. site templates).

I am not a lawyer, seek professional advice to confirm anything I've said, it may be completely different in your jurisdiction, or if I'm misinformed.

Thanks lads so basicially the only way to have complete power over the website and to make sure nothing happends to it is just to run it off my broadband ? i have a spare computer but it doesnt have alot of storage it is old would you need alot of storage for a website server ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Forget about running a site from home, it's a terrible idea for many reasons. You need to stop worrying so much about this stuff. The chances of your site content being lifted is very very low. Also make sure you have backed up your site locally. I'd think about avoiding free hosting, you generally get what you pay for and there could well be catches.

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    Forget about running a site from home, it's a terrible idea for many reasons. You need to stop worrying so much about this stuff. The chances of your site content being is very very low. Also make sure you have backed up your site locally. I'd think about avoiding free hosting, you generally get what you pay for and there could well be catches.

fair enough man thanks for the help..

Advertisement