Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Human/Neandertal Hybrid found!

Options
  • 29-03-2013 2:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭

http://news.discovery.com/human/evolution/neanderthal-skeleton-provides-evidence-of-interbreeding-with-humans-130327.htm
    The skeletal remains of an individual living in northern Italy 40,000-30,000 years ago are believed to be that of a human/Neanderthal hybrid, according to a paper in PLoS ONE.

If further analysis proves the theory correct, the remains belonged to the first known such hybrid, providing direct evidence that humans and Neanderthals interbred. Prior genetic research determined the DNA of people with European and Asian ancestry is 1 to 4 percent Neanderthal.

The present study focuses on the individual’s jaw, which was unearthed at a rock-shelter called Riparo di Mezzena in the Monti Lessini region of Italy. Both Neanderthals and modern humans inhabited Europe at the time.

*Paging Wibbs for analysis*

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Looks good. not so much the jaw but the apparent DNA analysis. This shows Neandertal mitochondrial DNA(didn't even know they had any to compare to). So mammy was Neandertal, daddy was one of our lot. This is an even bigger deal if true, cos it proves we didn't just get jiggy in the middle east 100Kya, but also in Europe much later on. Oddly people today only seem to have the ME lines.

Just found the original article. Time to break out the strong tae. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hmmm the gist I'm getting is only Neandertal DNA was found, no modern. The jaw looks Neandertal except for a couple of features which look more of an overlap with modern humans. I dunno. Looks pretty vague to me. Some late Neandertals started to develop more obvious chins. Was this because of interbreeding with us or just an evolutionary quirk? Maybe this individual was within the range of Neandertal, but in isolation some bits look modern? The DNA evidence doesn't add anything I can see to the debate, now if they found some modern sequences too...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

That the mom was the Neanderthal and the dad a H. sapiens reminded me of this movie:

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/the-croods-1.1334042

Anyone seen it yet? It's a hundred per cent fantasy, but the main theme is the encounter between the Neanderthal-ish "cavemen" and the imaginative H. sapiens, and the cavegirl does fall for the modern man...

Advertisement