Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it taboo to talk about your thanks count?

• 29-03-2013 3:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭

Well is it?

Ive been here a while and rarely see anyone ever bring it up. The times Ive seen people post about it they got a lot of grief from other posters. Should it never be mentioned? Ever?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

It's not taboo but nobody will thank you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Thanks are the only reliable method of measuring an individual's worth.
    Anyone with fewer thanks than posts is a loser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

It is taboo to even look at your thanks count......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'd better post some popular stuff from Reddit on You Laugh, You Lose right away then so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Nobody cares and neither should you.

Call me a traditionalist but I like to stick to pissing contests and good ol' dick measuring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Thanks are as much a measure of idiocy as intelligence depending on the poster,which are you op?

1ZRed wrote: »

Call me a traditionalist but I like to stick to pissing contests and good ol' dick measuring.

But once the dick is measured the game is over,or is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

According to The King Of Moo some of the losers are as follows

Humanji 13386 posts,,,,, Thanks 9006......Loser

Biko 35673 posts,,,,,,,Thanks 25641......Loser

hussey 5897 posts,,,,, Thanks 1634.....Loser

Zambia 5750 posta,,,,,,Thanks 1617......Loser

deVore 29482 posts,,,,,,Thanks 24898.....Loser

Plus thousands more Boards users are losers, just haven't got the years required to list them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

In before the thinly veiled Ted quote death to the Irish language Falkands/Malvinas atheist high horse sausage sambo sleep paralysis cheese and onion found a safe acab GAA penalty points etc brigade

• Advertisement

seems on mobile it is now taboo to have to bear witness to a post's thanks count? but you know some fcuking perverts are still guna be hellbent on seeking out if moo got 1 or 1,000 for that

/ no that's not the case. but great ideas, can arise from moments of stupidity...

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Only if you're sitting alone with your pants around your ankles and hand on your mickey while talking dirty to yourself about all the thanks you get on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Only thing that annoys me is people who thank mods when they say something smart and you have no comeback or close a thread
    Suck ups :)

Ps mods don't ban me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'd rather there were no thanks myself and despised it at first but then I got used to it and a helicopter came a opened fire with a heavy machine gun and blew up a car full of paedophiles.

I decided to spice up my boring story at the end there.
    I honestly didn't do it for thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Everytime someone thanks my post I want to ride them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I'd rather there were no thanks myself and despised it at first but then I got used to it and a helicopter came a opened fire with a heavy machine gun and blew up a car full of paedophiles.

I decided to spice up my boring story at the end there.
    I honestly didn't do it for thanks.

Sometimes people get hundreds of thanks and I do look at it and think its either not funny or they're trying to be smart
    One thread lets all laugh at depression the op has over thousand in his first post
    It's too long so didn't bother :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Nah OP lots don't care, most of the time I unfollow the thread after I post something so I hardly ever see it. Hate my emails getting clogged up with boards notifications.

Saying that I do believe I have a pretty impressive one.

Thanks that is.

The ole thanks function makes it very transparent who can't think for themselves :)

The same ole numpties thank the same ole numpties drivel repeatedly.

Some than stop thanking as a sign of no longer liking a certain poster, thankfabulous :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

I like them, I am not going to lie and be one of those people that pretends they don't care. If your post gets thanked it means someone agrees with you or appreciates your input, whats wrong with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think repping should be brought back. We can have rep request threads, we can quote a post saying "repped". And then after a week or 2 we can be all hipster about it saying that anyone who cares about their rep score is yawnalicious baby.

#cutforbeiber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

1ZRed wrote: »

You should organise an annual boards.ie dick measuring pissing contest then

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I prefer not to talk about mine :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Just don't mention your rep, it will get a lot of people upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Yeesh, I thought I was clearly joking about thanks being the only way to gauge someone's personal worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 onionhead

I hate the thanks function on boards. You have to fast forward to the third or fourth page in threads in a lot of instances because the first few are full of snidey comments fishing for thanks. Im convinced some people just wait for new threads to pop up so they can be first in with their not so funny comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Many posters have closed their accounts and took their thousand's of thanks with them to so other than a quick, short term solution to responding and replying to posts ( optional) and in the wider scheme of things , it's not all that important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Only if you're sitting alone with your pants around your ankles and hand on your mickey while talking dirty to yourself about all the thanks you get on boards.

Can...can you see me?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It reduces the number of +1 posts that have no actual comments in them. The most useful feature is the find posters who quoted you. I think that was added at the same time as the thanks feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Too many taboo's these days. Life was much simpler when the only taboo's were shagging either a blood relative or something with 4 legs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

There is nothing wrong with a little bit of appreciation, If someone helps you out, dont you thank them ? Or if you put a smile on someones face, a thanks lets you know you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Duiske wrote: »
    Too many taboo's these days. Life was much simpler when the only taboo's were shagging either a blood relative or something with 4 legs.
    Patricia was always just out of reach ..but only just :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I don't even know, where my thanks count is :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I've just noticed i have more thanks than posts, bit surprising tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

On a serious but boring (and therefore unthankable) note, I think the thanks function is useful to quickly show you agree with somebody but the thanks whoring is annoying, my solution would be to stop counting thanks after may be 10 for each individual post it would make the site look neater and its high enough number that people can see the post is worth thanking and has been recognised as such but probably low enough to stop the blatant thanks whoring

ps having a high thanks count just means your a conform to what the majority opinion of which ever particular forum you post most on (thats my excuse anyway!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Well is it?

Ive been here a while and rarely see anyone ever bring it up. The times Ive seen people post about it they got a lot of grief from other posters. Should it never be mentioned? Ever?

thinly veiled, I have thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

What matters is that you have a really high post count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Nothing veiled about it. It's a blatant taboo breaking boast.

For shame OP. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I thank a post if it makes me laugh, even if I don't agree with it.

I thank posts that I do agree with too. I never check my own thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

What poster has the most thanks?

The first correctly linked answer wins a thanks from me. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I thank a post if it makes me laugh, even if I don't agree with it.

I thank posts that I do agree with too. I never check my own thanks!

you have over 5,500, thats not bad for a cuddle hater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

It's not taboo at all -> Thanked 2,382 Times in 562 Posts :)

krudler wrote: »
    you have over 5,500, thats not bad for a cuddle hater

She's the only known female around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

My thanks count is higher than my posts count.

Am I happy with this? Yes I am.

Frankly, anyone who posts on Boards and says that they don't appreciate or even look at their thanks count is being a bit disingenuous.

(Feel free to thank this post, I've never been post of the day :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You mean I'm actually not worthless?.... thanks dude, all this money wasted on psychologists and the answer to my happiness was just a click away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Thinly veiled, thinly veiled thread.

chughes wrote: »
    Frankly, anyone who posts on Boards and says that they don't appreciate or even look at their thanks count is being a bit disingenuous.

No, that is a disingenuous thing to say as I really do steer clear...

in fact the only time I might check something personal if is there is a taco notification pending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It is taboo to even look at your thanks count......

Think I looked at it once. It's in Users Control Panel, right? May have a gander now.
    Yeesh, I thought I was clearly joking about thanks being the only way to gauge someone's personal worth.

Internet, serious business yano?!

OP, who would you be talking to about your thanked post count?:confused:

Funnily enough, I only discovered the Post of the Day button from the drop down menu a year or so ago. Clicked on it and guess who's post was thanked the most that day?? Mine! :pac: (slow news day or slow YLYL day orslow Weather forum day or something :cool: :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

That's all well and good if you joined in 2011. Noob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's frightfully gauche dead. Frightfully gauche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The people that seem to have the most problem with thanks always seem to have very few themselves.

Funny that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement