Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using my Credit Card to pay in dollars

Options
  • 29-03-2013 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭

I have an AIB Visa card, which I recently used to purchase flights on Orbitz. The flights came to $1996 and when it appeared on my statement AIB gave me a rate of $1.24/€ as an exchange rate.

Now the exchange rate on their website hasn't been down below $1.26 for the past few days (I've been monitoring it), so I'm just wondering if there's any extra fees that I should have been including in my calculation? Or have they blatantly chanced their arm that nobody will notice what rate they offer.

Difference in this case is bout €30, is there any way of being more efficient in this? Using Debit Cards for example?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What visa card do you have?

That would tell you what charges are applied on non euro transactions, eg 2.75% or similar, rather than the foreign currency rate

http://www.aib.ie/personal/credit-cards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Ah yes, thanks for that. Didn't realise they charged that. It's a click Visa. I had a look at the T's & C's and after navigating through a series of "see Section 31", "see section 47" etc, they do indeed charge 2.75% of any Worldwide non-Euro amounts and 1.75% of European non-Euro amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Also, just saw my Visa Debit Card only charge 1.75% up to a maximum of €11.43 on foreign payments. Would have been a cheaper way for my to pay for this...
    http://www.aib.ie/personal/current-accounts/Debit-Card-Fees-and-Charges

Advertisement