Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House Connection & Contract

Options
  • 29-03-2013 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, 

We recently bought a new house and I'm currently trying to decide on whether or not to get the phone line connected up.
    The house is about 5-6 year old and done to a builders finish. There are 3 phone points pre wired in the house but these are not live.
    There are also a number of wires running back into our utility room for an alarm system, 1 of these is a phone line which runs from our utility room out to an external box on the side of the house (beside the ESB box).

I have done some searching and from what I can tell there is a connection charge of approx €122 for a new connection, is this correct?
    There are 2 telegraph poles at the front of our property (1 on either side) I assume the phone line can be brought from the closest pole and run to the external box in order for us to get the phone line connected?

Again from searching about I believe that there is a 12 month contract for services. What I am wondering though is, is there any way to pay for connection to get the phone line active but without entering into a contract? or if not what is the cost involved in buying out of the contract immediately?

Also I'm wondering if there is anyway of telling roughly what BB speeds may be possible on the line if it was to be connected? The house is a couple of km's outside of town and I know that the house is a little over 5km from the exchange. I have entered 2 of my neighbours phone numbers into the BB line checker and it tells me I cant get 24Mb (which I pretty much knew anyway) and just says I can get up to 8mb. Is there anyone someone could get a more accurate ready on this for me as if I can only get 1-2Mb there is no point in me getting the phone line connected I would just end up going for a wireless provider :-/

Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Eye wrote: »
    Hi Guys, 

We recently bought a new house and I'm currently trying to decide on whether or not to get the phone line connected up.
    The house is about 5-6 year old and done to a builders finish. There are 3 phone points pre wired in the house but these are not live.
    There are also a number of wires running back into our utility room for an alarm system, 1 of these is a phone line which runs from our utility room out to an external box on the side of the house (beside the ESB box).

I have done some searching and from what I can tell there is a connection charge of approx €122 for a new connection, is this correct?
    There are 2 telegraph poles at the front of our property (1 on either side) I assume the phone line can be brought from the closest pole and run to the external box in order for us to get the phone line connected?

Again from searching about I believe that there is a 12 month contract for services. What I am wondering though is, is there any way to pay for connection to get the phone line active but without entering into a contract? or if not what is the cost involved in buying out of the contract immediately?

Also I'm wondering if there is anyway of telling roughly what BB speeds may be possible on the line if it was to be connected? The house is a couple of km's outside of town and I know that the house is a little over 5km from the exchange. I have entered 2 of my neighbours phone numbers into the BB line checker and it tells me I cant get 24Mb (which I pretty much knew anyway) and just says I can get up to 8mb. Is there anyone someone could get a more accurate ready on this for me as if I can only get 1-2Mb there is no point in me getting the phone line connected I would just end up going for a wireless provider :-/

Regards,

Pop into an emobile store and they can get your more info on speeds etc or ring 1901 sales and they can check it too. The connection charge is waived on a promotion as far as I'm aware though, you may just need an engineer to come to your house to connect your properly. Connection then takes up to 21-28 days. (had to get it done myself)

Also, where are you living because fibre will be released in a few months so you may not have to worry about speeds. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Eye wrote: »
    Hi Guys, 

Regards,

Hi Eye,

If you would like to PM me with the address in question. I can look into it in detail and get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement