Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air to Water HRV vs Geothermal

• 29-03-2013 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I'm sure this has probably been asked before on here but i need advice on the best heating system. I've received a quote for each and the Air to Water coming in at half the cost (also includes a gas burner back up). I'm leaning more towards this option due to the cost but i'm wondering if it would come back to bite later. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭blast06

I'm in the same boat myself re this decision.
    Obviously geo-thermal is preferred but in my case it would involve borehole cos not suitable for horizontal ... so looking at an extra 5-7K in total. Given that this would be on the mortgage then it would be say up to 12K total (over 20 years) and so question is would i save this over say a 20 year life span, i.e.: electricity bill ~600 cheaper per year with geo versus air to water ??? In my case (2600 sq ft, part L compliant) i doubt i very much

Having said all that, i have plumbed for both options (was only an extra pipe under the screed for about 2-3 metres) and so i can make a final decision depending on budget later in the build and based on further research

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

+1. PM sent to OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

blast06 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat myself re this decision.
    Obviously geo-thermal is preferred but in my case it would involve borehole cos not suitable for horizontal ... so looking at an extra 5-7K in total. Given that this would be on the mortgage then it would be say up to 12K total (over 20 years) and so question is would i save this over say a 20 year life span, i.e.: electricity bill ~600 cheaper per year with geo versus air to water ??? In my case (2600 sq ft, part L compliant) i doubt i very much

Having said all that, i have plumbed for both options (was only an extra pipe under the screed for about 2-3 metres) and so i can make a final decision depending on budget later in the build and based on further research

You need to take into account also that only the high end air to water units will last a comparable lifetime to a heat pump, the cheaper air to water units will last about half as long.
    Also the difference in running cost will increase year on year due to the increase in fuel costs.
    Blast what size is your house? It would need to be a fairly substantial HP to require 7K worth of drilling, very few of that size being installed these days.
    Maintainence costs will also be higher due to higher number of moving parts and parts exposed to the weather.

Condenser wrote: »
    You need to take into account also that only the high end air to water units will last a comparable lifetime to a heat pump, the cheaper air to water units will last about half as long.
    Also the difference in running cost will increase year on year due to the increase in fuel costs.
    Blast what size is your house? It would need to be a fairly substantial HP to require 7K worth of drilling, very few of that size being installed these days.
    Maintainence costs will also be higher due to higher number of moving parts and parts exposed to the weather.

Thanks for comments.
    Pump is a Danfoss DHP-AQ 11kW .... i think thats fairly high spec'd.
    Re the running costs ..... well say 5K on a mortgage to cover the drilling equals say 8K over the lifetime of a mortgage. I don't see myself saving this even allowing for increasing electricity costs.
    House is 2600 sq ft - maybe my drilling costs are a bit over the top (say 5K as per above) .... was reckoning i would need 2 x 100m borholes. Unfortunately ground conditions (all gravel which i will cover with 8-10" topsoil just not suitable for horizontal geothermal.
    Cheers.

Thanks for comments.
    Pump is a Danfoss DHP-AQ 11kW .... i think thats fairly high spec'd.
    Re the running costs ..... well say 5K on a mortgage to cover the drilling equals say 8K over the lifetime of a mortgage. I don't see myself saving this even allowing for increasing electricity costs.
    House is 2600 sq ft - maybe my drilling costs are a bit over the top (say 5K as per above) .... was reckoning i would need 2 x 100m borholes. Unfortunately ground conditions (all gravel which i will cover with 8-10" topsoil just not suitable for horizontal geothermal.
    Cheers.

If an 11kw airsource is required then a 7kw groundsource will cover the same load (thats if the airsource is sized correctly of course). Drilling cost approximately €3600 done properly.
    COP on that unit is 3.8 so not particularly good and you haven't factored in the shorter lifespan of the unit.

• Advertisement

Agh ... i want it - but budget is the killer ! Haven't given up hope yet but at least COP is 4.3. .... not 3.8 .... which ain't so bad.
    Who do you know would drill it properly for that price and who i cold trust ? Is there also not a case of unknowns with boreholes in terms of depth to bedrock, water saturation, type of bedrock, etc ?

Cheers.

Agh ... i want it - but budget is the killer ! Haven't given up hope yet but at least COP is 4.3. .... not 3.8 .... which ain't so bad.
    Who do you know would drill it properly for that price and who i cold trust ? Is there also not a case of unknowns with boreholes in terms of depth to bedrock, water saturation, type of bedrock, etc ?

Cheers.

No the COP is 3.8 at the European standard of A2/W35. This A7/W35 is just massaging the figures. If you apply the same rules to the ground source units their COP's would jump 15% too.
    Drilling is never an issue once its done properly, fully grouted and casings removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Tommyboy08

Condenser wrote: »
    No the COP is 3.8 at the European standard of A2/W35. This A7/W35 is just massaging the figures. If you apply the same rules to the ground source units their COP's would jump 15% too.
    Drilling is never an issue once its done properly, fully grouted and casings removed.

+1 on the cop's, all ground source units are rated at a brine temp of 0C which you only really see on undersized collectors or the typical Irish badly drilled boreholes, a more realistic figure of 4C would give a much more closer comparison between air and ground source units,
    Oh and cop figures for air source units never account for defrosts which are all too common in our very humid Irish climate,

Advertisement