Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No more DIY Dye!

• 29-03-2013 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi guys, would love some advise on following please. I've been dying my hair blonde at home using one of those DIY nutrisse colours (all over lightest blonde) for the last 15 years. I would gave always been fair haired and everyone thought this was my natural colour - I would dye routs every 6-8 weeks. However the last two years I noticed I was loosing a lot of hair. I have curly hair that tends to be dry but is now damaged with the home dying also. As a result I decided to stop dying myself. I now have 3.5 months of roots - my hair is curly so I can get away with it a little bit better, and I would still be considered a 'blonde' (albeit much darker than colour I've been dying it). So now I have very blonde 'all over' ends with dark roots (hairdresser says the colour would still be considered blonde but it looks mousey brown to me next to previously dyed hair ends) and I hate it after being used to being all over blonde. I am experiencing some hair re growth which will hopefully thicken my hair so that is a positive ( I have thin but below-shoulder hair). can anyone advise best way to get to a lighter blonde but without damaging as much? My hairdresser put a few lowlights in 2 months ago which helped hide the obvious re growth line. Is the best approach some highlights & Lowlights( to blend in original dyed hair and natural colour)? Another hairdresser mentioned a semi permanent to get some condition back. Apologies I know very little about colour as have always just dyed myself using shop bought!

Thank you for any advise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭WittyKitty1

What about one of those 28 washes or 8 washes ones? They say theres no peroxide/amonia in them so perhaps that could be less damage to your hair if it were just being applied to the root? They are called casting creme gloss colours and they have a wide range of semi permanents.

Also, Perhaps you should lay off the hair dryer/curling iron for a while if you use one. I found personally the ends of my hair were becoming very dry and damaged so I bought a moroccan oil which I put in while my hair is damp and just leave to dry naturally.. i've been doing this for a few weeks now and my hair is definitely in a better condition.

Also, A vitamin B complex has all the B vitamins to support hair..such a B1,B12 and B6..You should talk to your pharmacy about that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I would recommend getting both highlights and lowlights if you want a light blonde to blend in with your root colour.

Get some at home treatments to use once a week to deep condition also.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Thanks for replies, I was looking at that creme gloss yesterday but just stopped short of buying as was unsure what exactly it was and also was afraid of slipping back to my old routine of dying and hence damaging my hair even more..I'd prefer to be blonder but not at the expense of having awfully damaged hair!my hairdresser thinks if I got highlights and lowlights I would only need to top ip every 3 months and so would be less damaging in long run and mix my natural colour in..problem is I have two very different coloured hair sections at mo while my old blonde dyed hair grows out..not sure how highlights would look over this..Im trying not to use a curling wand anymore but do use my hair dryer with diffuser every time I wash (2x week)

I also use coconut oil as preconditioner twice a week before washing and take complex b vitamins every day which I've found great

I'm wondering, have you tried cutting your hair? Like not up short, but really regular trims to get rid of the dead ends while the re-growth is coming down?

I'm growing my hair long at the minute and i find my ends get very damaged but the hair dresser told me to get a regular trim to get rid of them to maintain the healthy hair..

• Advertisement

Yes trying to stay on top with the cuts :) my hair is thin and curly so looks better, fuller after a trim..try to get one every 8 weeks or so but have not always done this in past!

Best of luck to you :)

Do let us know how you get on and what you decide to do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

can anyone advise best way to get to a lighter blonde but without damaging as much?
    What about one of those 28 washes or 8 washes ones? They say theres no peroxide/amonia in them so perhaps that could be less damage to your hair if it were just being applied to the root?

She wants lighter hair, semi-permanents don't lighten.

Advertisement