Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Zyxel Router issue Windows 8

Options
  • 29-03-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I have an eircom Zyxel router P-660HW-T1 v3 and I got a new HP laptop at Christmas which runs Windows 8. When I go into the router configuration page I see from the log that the message 192.168.1.1 exceeds the max. number of session per host! appears every few seconds. I have changed the Max NAT/Firewall Session Per User to 4096 and this has helped and also when I restart the router it will sort the problem for a while too. What else can I do to stop this happening. I have turned off all the live tiles as well. Is there something else running in the background. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My old Hp laptop with Windows 7 has never had any issues and I have the broadband 3 years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

there could be a firmware update for that router.There were issues with one version of those modems with ipv6.Afaik you'll have to ring tech support to get them to check.

To be honest they arent the best modem in the world.Buy yerself a decent one for 50€:P

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭carnagesri

there could be a firmware update for that router.There were issues with one version of those modems with ipv6.Afaik you'll have to ring tech support to get them to check.

To be honest they arent the best modem in the world.Buy yerself a decent one for 50€:P

What modem would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

The problem is more likely to be w8.
    There seem to be a lot of problems with w8 networking both wifi and fixed.

On my laptop w8 will swear blind that there is no connectivity, but my work laptop and various other devices disagree and still have connectivity.

It got better but the latest w8 update seems to have broken it again.

Check things like power saving options interfering with your networking.

Digging about on the the MS website only yielded a suggestion to try loading up Win7 drivers.

When I get the time, I am going back to win7.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

carnagesri wrote: »
    I have an eircom Zyxel router P-660HW-T1 v3 and I got a new HP laptop at Christmas which runs Windows 8. When I go into the router configuration page I see from the log that the message 192.168.1.1 exceeds the max. number of session per host! appears every few seconds. I have changed the Max NAT/Firewall Session Per User to 4096 and this has helped and also when I restart the router it will sort the problem for a while too. What else can I do to stop this happening. I have turned off all the live tiles as well. Is there something else running in the background. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My old Hp laptop with Windows 7 has never had any issues and I have the broadband 3 years.

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/firmware/P-660HW-T1_v3/P-660HW-T1_v3%5B370BOE4D0%5D.bin

download this firmware update for your router it fixes the nat sessions bug you are having

the original firmware on the OP's router has a known NAT sessions bug... the router opens too many nat sessions until the router's memory fills and crashes, restarting the router will only fix it temporarily, the firmware update in the link fixes that bug permanently.

it has nothing to do with windows.... the fault is in the router's firmware

I tried downloading the firmware update and everything seemed grand for a few days but now the same thing is happening again. Is there something running in the background causing this? Are there any changes I can make to the settings to fix this? Attached is a screenshot of my settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Does it have any option to adjust the DHCP lease time? Maybe if it was set to say an hour rather than a day, it might be starting a new session before passing 4096 requests.

The DHCP lease time is currently set to 3600 seconds so it is already set to one hour.

Anyone got any other suggestions to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Were you able to get a fix for this issue? I'm having the same problem with a HP laptop that I just got. Older laptop, sky box etc can connect to the internet but connection for the new windows 8 laptop keeps dropping.
    Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

carnagesri wrote: »

your modem needs a firmware update

go here to download it http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/firmware/P-660HW-T1_v3/

log onto the modem 192.168.1.254 (password is broadband1)

click on maintanence > update/reboot

click choose file then browse to where you downloaded the update and hit open then choose upload

the modem will do the rest and reboot. nat bug will be fixed

option 2 is call into eircom and order a new modem the d1000 modem doesnt have this issue.

cost is €50 or free if contract renewed if not currently in contract

if in contract new modem is free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Freddy is bang on there. HW isnt great so worth getting the D1000(HNU) if in contract.

BTW that IPv6 bug above is ONLY with the new fibre modem, the F1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean9015

your modem needs a firmware update

go here to download it http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/firmware/P-660HW-T1_v3/

log onto the modem 192.168.1.254 (password is broadband1)

click on maintanence > update/reboot

click choose file then browse to where you downloaded the update and hit open then choose upload

the modem will do the rest and reboot. nat bug will be fixed

option 2 is call into eircom and order a new modem the d1000 modem doesnt have this issue.

cost is €50 or free if contract renewed if not currently in contract

if in contract new modem is free

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but having run across this problem, I found this and applied it. However, the update did not persist after a router reboot. I'm still getting the running out of connections error on both wired and wireless on the laptop, but not on the desktop (both W8.1, with all updates). Any suggestions gratefully received. Eircom are denying there's a problem looking at posts on their support forum.

Advertisement