Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

beertons wrote: »
    He was hilarious. Good age.

Not for him though....he died

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

To kill a Mocking Bird author Harper Lee (89) has passed away

Link

harper-lee_3374329b.jpg

Douglas Slocombe cinematographer has passed away aged 103. He shot all three original Indiana Jones films among other movies

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/raiders-lost-ark-cinematographer-douglas-slocombe-dies-aged-103/

Picture of Douglas (in glasses) on set of Raiders of the Lost Ark
    DVD+PlayerScreenSnapz001.JPG

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005878/?ref_=nmawd_awd_nm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

One of the greats for me, and yet another example of a DP compiling a huge innings. They really must really love their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,081 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Johnny Murphy aka Joey The Lips Fagan from The Commitments has died - RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Tony Burton, an actor Im sure most on here would recognise but few (myself included) could name, has passed away aged 78. He was best known for playing Apollos trainer, Duke, in the Rocky movies.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZ9a15NYhwfXCfleIIbn-VPFnEddQfeIe6E4lIJBDn-uuxWqcc3g

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

George Kennedy has died at the age of 91. Best known for the Airport movies, Cool Hand Luke, lots of westerns and Dallas.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/george-kennedy-dies-dead-airport-cool-hand-luke-1201718567/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Mr E wrote: »
    George Kennedy has died at the age of 91. Best known for the Airport movies, Cool Hand Luke, lots of westerns and Dallas.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/george-kennedy-dies-dead-airport-cool-hand-luke-1201718567/

And the naked gun movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Mr E wrote: »

In our house he's best know as Captain Ed Hocken in the Naked Gun Films.

He was brilliant in those films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

He was also very good in Thunderbolt And Lightfoot and The Eiger Sanction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

George Kennedy, a great character actor, and also a good semi-obscure answer to a quiz question that requires you to name a certain number of people who have appeared in every movie in at least two trilogies (Airport series, and Naked Gun series for George). How many can you name?

check_six wrote: »
    George Kennedy, a great character actor, and also a good semi-obscure answer to a quiz question that requires you to name a certain number of people who have appeared in every movie in at least two trilogies (Airport series, and Naked Gun series for George). How many can you name?

Harrison Ford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Harrison Ford.

Turns out George Kennedy was in a movie called Dirty Dingus McGee with Frank Sinatra. Who knew?

check_six wrote: »
    Turns out George Kennedy was in a movie called Dirty Dingus McGee with Frank Sinatra. Who knew?

Not me anyway.I took the name from an episode of the Simpsons.

It's good though to have a connection with George Kennedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Gil Hill (the angry Inspector Todd in the Beverly Hill Cop movies) has died, age 84. He was an actual cop in real life, so he was basically playing himself, but more sweary.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/beverly-hills-cop/beverly-hills-cop-gil-hill-dies/

Tony Dyson
    One of the most iconic non-human characters in movie history, R2-D2, was the handiwork of many people. Beloved concept artist Ralph McQuarrie designed him, Kenny Baker helped bring him to life—but it was Tony Dyson, who passed away today at the age of 68, who had the daunting task of building Artoo as a real life droid.

In the 1970s, Dyson owned the White Horse Toy Company in the UK, and had worked uncredited on films like Moonraker, Superman II, and Dragon Slayer as an effects supervisor. When George Lucas began production of Star Wars in the country, he tapped Dyson to bring McQuarrie’s artwork to life.

Dyson modeled the building process on the same technique his toy company used to mold rocking horses. He built eight droids for the franchise, including multiple remote-controlled versions, two versions that Kenny Baker could sit in and operate, and a throwaway model for Empire Strikes Back that was hurled into the swamps of Dagobah. Later on in his life, Dyson turned his focus to artificial intelligence and robotics, building bots for Sony, Toshiba, and other electronics companies.

Dyson was immensely proud of his work on Star Wars, and even set up an R2-D2 builders club in the UK so fans could craft their own astromechs. (Although, the always litigious Lucasfilm mandated that he couldn’t build them to the exact specifications from his designs used in the films.) It’s the same club from which two designers were selected to build the R2-D2 prop for The Force Awakens, ensuring Tony’s legacy in the franchise will live on forever.

Link

tonydyson-large.jpg

Richard Davalos (East of Eden and Cool Hand Luke) has died - RIP

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0202501/

The brilliant production designer Ken Adam has died at 95 - he worked on every Bond picture from Dr No to Moonraker. Other credits include Dr Strangelove, Barry Lyndon (academy award), The Ipcress File. His final film of note was The Madness of King George (academy award).

His personal story is as dramatic as some of the films he worked on as a German Jew who took the fight back to Germany with the RAF

One of his best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Sylvia Anderson, television and film producer, writer and voice actress, best known for Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, UFO and Space 1999. Particularly as the voice of Lady Penelope in Thunderbirds. Died yesterday at the age of 88.

Supermarionation was a big part of my childhood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I just heard that Larry Drake has died at 66: better known for TV than movies, to folk around my age he's instantly recognisable as Benny, the clerk with "learning difficulties" from L.A. Law. His sympathetic (and Emmy-winning) portrayal of the real issues affecting such people did a lot to overcome popular stigmas against them. His major movie credits included the Darkman movies, Bean, and American Pie 2.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    I just heard that Larry Drake has died at 66: better known for TV than movies, to folk around my age he's instantly recognisable as Benny, the clerk with "learning difficulties" from L.A. Law. His sympathetic (and Emmy-winning) portrayal of the real issues affecting such people did a lot to overcome popular stigmas against them. His major movie credits included the Darkman movies, Bean, and American Pie 2.

RIP Sir Harrow, you wore that sash and it did a great job

Ken Howard has died - RIP, you may not know the name but you do the face, featured in many films and tv shows

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0397432/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Garry Shandling has died aged 66. I absolutely love The Larry Sanders Show and would easily put it in the top 5 best comedies of all time.

Garry Shandling has died aged 66. I absolutely love The Larry Sanders Show and would easily put it in the top 5 best comedies of all time.

Sad to hear.

I haven't seen all of them but the episodes with Alec Baldwin and David Duchovny were brilliant.

I'm old enough to have watched Its Garry Shandlings Show (remember when BBC Two used to show good US comedies that were a bit left-field?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

2016 won't let up, will it? :(

Loved the Larry Sanders show, Jeffrey Tambor will always be "Hey now" Hank Kingsley to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I kind of feel sad he's in the less famous people thread. He was a comedy god. The Garry Shandling show was incredible and well before its time. If it came out now, it'd easily have been in the middle of a boxing war between stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I'm old enough to have watched Its Garry Shandlings Show (remember when BBC Two used to show good US comedies that were a bit left-field?)

Sadly it was showed after 11pm afaik before or after Seinfeld, while they had 30 something on at 10pm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Joe Santos: His most recent film credit, according to IMDB was 2015’s Chronic.
    But was mostly remembered for The Rockford Files, although i briefly remember him in Hardcastle & McCormick!
    http://deadline.com/2016/03/joe-santos-dies-the-rockford-files-actor-1201722621/

Advertisement