Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Patty Duke has died - best known for The Miracle Worker for which both she and Anne Bancroft won Oscars (supporting & lead actress respectively) for portraying Helen Keller and her teacher Anne Sullivan. Duke later appeared in Valley of the Dolls and was President of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) from 1985-88.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

bnt wrote: »
    Patty Duke has died - best known for The Miracle Worker for which both she and Anne Bancroft won Oscars (supporting & lead actress respectively) for portraying Helen Keller and her teacher Anne Sullivan. Duke later appeared in Valley of the Dolls and was President of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) from 1985-88.

Just realised that Ken Howard & Patty Duke, were both Presidents of SAG back then, it must have been mostly actors doing that job, as i briefly saw a while ago Gabrielle Carteris (of 90's BH 90210) is EVP of SAG & now acting President.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,080 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bnt wrote: »

Also mother of actor Sean Astin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Admiral Ackbar is no longer with us, Erik Bauersfeld has passed away age 93 :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Bauersfeld

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Also mother of actor Sean Astin

I read somewhere that she was married to John Astin (1 of 4 husbands) who played Gomez in The Addams Family :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Doris Roberts best known for Everybody Loves Raymond and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation has died at 90

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/18/doris-roberts-dead/

dorisroberts.jpg

Director Guy Hamilton has died at 93; his main claim to fame is as director of four James Bond films covering the transition from Connery to Moore:
    Goldfinger (1964), Diamonds Are Forever (1971), Live and Let Die (1973), and The Man with the Golden Gun (1974). He was responsible for some of the greatest Bond scenes on film: Oddjob's shocking exit, the Louisiana powerboat chase, and more.

Other credits include An Inspector Calls (1954), Funeral in Berlin (1966) (with Michael Caine), Force 10 from Navarone (1978) ... and Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (1985). :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

Musician & composer Isao Tomita died last Thursday. Best known for his synthesiser versions of classical pieces, which would occasionally be used in movie soundtracks. His 1974 version of Debussy's Clair de Lune was in the movie Ocean's Thirteen, and also in the 2014 film Heaven Knows What in the scenes where the protagonist is as high as a kite:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭MfMan

Madeline LeBeau, last credited member of the Casablanca cast, has passed away. Played Bogie's erstwhile girlfriend Yvonne "who has gone over to the other side". You sometimes wonder do stars ever have an idea at the time of how iconic a movie they are appearing in may become.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Burt Kwouk who played Cato in the Pink Panther films has died aged 85.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36370997

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

Burt Kwouk who played Cato in the Pink Panther films has died aged 85.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36370997

Also General Lu Soong in ' Air America'
    He was also an OBE.

RIP

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He was a regular on the Harry Hill show too iirc and did lots of other work on British TV besides.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Last of the Summer Wine as well is what I last remember seeing him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Cameo actor that appeared in a number of Troma movies Joe Fleishaker passed away yesterday.

Very recognisable character to fans of low budget, offensive cheese.

joefleishaker.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Cameo actor that appeared in a number of Troma movies Joe Fleishaker passed away yesterday.

Very recognisable character to fans of low budget, offensive cheese.

Just watched a behind the scene feature on the making of Toxie 4 called apocalypse Soon The Making of Toxic Avenger 4 Monday night which he features in, goes into his back story somewhat, interesting stuff for those interested. I would defiantly recommended it if you can find it although its only available on region 4 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just watched a behind the scene feature on the making of Toxie 4 called apocalypse Soon The Making of Toxic Avenger 4 Monday night which he features in, goes into his back story somewhat, interesting stuff for those interested. I would defiantly recommended it if you can find it although its only available on region 4 though.

88 Films released all 4 Toxie movies on blu ray last year, I picked all 4 up on zavvi for about €36 recently and Part 4 has the documentary in full on it as an extra. They are Region B or Region all, either way, they play in Irish blu ray players.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin has died in a freak car accident aged just 27.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/anton-yelchin-dead-star-trek-alpha-dog-1201798798/

He had also starred in Alpha Dog, Only Lovers Left ALive, as the young Kyle Reece in Terminator Salvation and the recent Fright Night remake. He had been due to start shooting a new TV series with Brendan Gleeson called Mr. Mercedes.

Awful to see someone die so young with so much ahead of them. RIP.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,464 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/anton-yelchin-dead-star-trek-alpha-dog-1201798798/

He had also starred in Alpha Dog, Only Lovers Left ALive, as the young Kylwe Reece in Terminator Salvation and the recent Fright Night remake. He had been due to start shooting a new TV series with Brendan Gleeson called Mr. Mercedes.

Terribly sad, good actor too.

Iirc he appeared in an episode of criminal minds where he was a potential serial killer. Great episode!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Even when the film he was in wasn't great, there was always a fierce, captivating charisma and energy about Yelchin. Always gave me the impression of an actor who was genuinely committed and loving what he was doing. Definitely was equally confident leading a film or supporting on the sidelines. Truly sad news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

****!

He's a huge loss. Like Crazy, Green Room, Only Lovers Left Alive, 5 to 7, Star Trek… Such a likeable screen presence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Unbelievable, I think the first film I saw him in was Fright Night where he gave a great performance.

I'd echo what Johnny said about him always giving a good performance even in less than amazing films. His Kyle Reese was probably the only thing that made me regret TS not getting a direct sequel.

He had also starred in Alpha Dog, Only Lovers Left ALive, as the young Kyle Reece in Terminator Salvation and the recent Fright Night remake. He had been due to start shooting a new TV series with Brendan Gleeson called Mr. Mercedes.

Truly, truly tragic. I believed he was a future mega star. Sad news. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Great actor even as a kid in Along came a Spider he was fantastic. Tragic accident, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I thought there might be a delegate thread for this terrible news as I think he deserved it was great as Chekov, Fright Night and Terminator Salvation and was looking forward to seeing him in Green Room! I'm still in shock at this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Elessar

RIP, such a tragic bloody loss. Like johnny_ultimate said he had a real aura about him and you could tell he was committed to the craft. I first saw him as a kid in Hearts In Atlantis - a lovely little film with Anthony Hopkins. I always kept a track of his career and it was great to see him up and coming in the likes of Star Trek. So sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that is one of those deaths that truly shocks you due to how young and talented they are

will he now be added to the 27 club?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Very sad to hear about this loss. A tragic loss he had such potential and done a great Chekov in thew new Star Trek films would have loved to see his character get to develop in them. RIP Anton.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,080 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I used confuse him with Jesse Eisenberg at the start :o

A really truly gifted talented actor, such a shame to lose him at that young age - RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Might not have been critically a success, but I always enjoy watching Fright Night and he was a big reason why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Very sad, I think Odd Thomas is a very very underrated movie. Great Actor

Advertisement