Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Kenny Baker acted as Fidget in Time Bandits, in Star Wars he was just some bloke in a tin can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Correction: he was our bloke in a tin can.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Kenny Baker RIP.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Arthur Hiller director of Love Story died aged 92.

Steven Hill died aged 94 RIP.
    Steven Hill, who starred for years as District Attorney Adam Schiff on “Law & Order” and decades earlier played the leader of the Impossible Missions Force before Peter Graves on TV’s “Mission: Impossible,” died Tuesday in Monsey, N.Y., his daughter Sarah Gobioff told The New York Times.

He was also a top character actor in films of the 1980s and early ’90s including “Rich and Famous,” “Yentl,” “Garbo Talks” and Arnold Schwarzenegger vehicle “Raw Deal”; “Legal Eagles,” in which he would, as in “Law & Order” a few years later, play the New York district attorney; “Heartburn”; “Brighton Beach Memoirs”; “Running on Empty”; “White Palace”; “Billy Bathgate”; and “The Firm.”

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/steven-hill-dead-dies-law-order-adam-schiff-1201842935/

• Advertisement

The great Gene Wilder died today. One of the all time greats and one who I always wanted to see do one more film

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Gene Wilder was the best as Wiily Wonka one of my favourite movies of all time.

Willy Wonka: So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

The great Gene Wilder died today. One of the all time greats and one who I always wanted to see do one more film
    Very sad to see, a comic genius. Not sure if he would be in the class of less famous people involved in film, at least for those of a certain age.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There is no life I know
    To compare with
    Pure imagination

RIP :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,080 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP

Loved his work with Mel Brooks :(

• Subscribers Posts: 41,464 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    RIP

Loved his work with Mel Brooks :(

me too... some of the funniest movies ever made.. and so repeatable!!!

i could recite blazing saddles by heart.. and young Frankenstein was even better.

poor gene didnt have it easy when he was alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Jon Polito has passed

He's someone who you'd know instantly if you ever watched a Coen Brothers film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

^He had a huuuge body of work. First saw him in Homicide: Life on the Street, but yeah, most will know him from his work with the Coens. Also did a lot of voice work for video games and animated series. Always reliable, and had good comedic chops as well. RIP.

jon-polito-wedding.jpg

Links234 wrote: »
    Jon Polito has passed

He's someone who you'd know instantly if you ever watched a Coen Brothers film

I was confusing him with actor Joe Pantoliano :o

Alexis Arquette (The Wedding Singer) has died - RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Edward Albee, writer of the play Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, has died at 88. The story Albee told was that when the play was made in to a movie, producer Ernest Lehman re-wrote all the dialogue, paying himself $250,000 (in 1966) from the movie budget. The actors - including Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton - hated the changes and restored all the original dialogue except for two (2) lines. Lehman only found out after filming, Albee remained uncredited, and Lehman's "adapted screenplay" was nominated for an Oscar. Ah, Hollywood ... :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Charmian Carr (The Sound of Music)
    American actress Charmian Carr, who played the eldest von Trapp daughter Liesl in the film The Sound of Music, has died aged 73.
    Carr died in Los Angeles after complications from a rare form of dementia, her representative said.
    In her role in the 1965 film, she famously performed the song Sixteen Going on Seventeen.
    After leaving the film industry, Carr ran an interior design firm in California.
    Her mother had arranged for her to audition for the role, although she had had no singing or acting lessons.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37403372

Curtis Hanson has died at 71: best known for directing LA Confidential and winning an Oscar for his adapted screenplay. He also directed The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, The River Wild, 8 Mile, and many more.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

bnt wrote: »
    Curtis Hanson has died at 71: best known for directing LA Confidential and winning an Oscar for his adapted screenplay. He also directed The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, The River Wild, 8 Mile, and many more.

That's a bit of a shame. 8 mile was better than it should have been and the two films before that were really good. I'm pretty sure he went off the rails in some manner after that, can't recall if it was drug or health related?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

That's a bit of a shame. 8 mile was better than it should have been and the two films before that were really good. I'm pretty sure he went off the rails in some manner after that, can't recall if it was drug or health related?

The BBC says it was Alzheimer's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    The BBC says it was Alzheimer's.

That would explain it. He was meant to always be temperamental but was increasingly erratic post 8 Mile. Supposedly the production of chasing mavericks was meant to be a mess.
    I see wiki saying he had to step down as he was recovering from complications regarding recent heart surgery but I definitely remember some podcast describing that as a cover up.

bnt wrote: »

RIP

I thought he was younger :o

Bill Nunn has died at only 62 - I remember him as Radio Raheem in Do The Right Thing:

^ I remember him from Sister Act

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    RIP

I thought he was younger :o

Curtis Hanson first credit was in 1970! Though he was struggling that decade only a few scripts got filmed and he directed 3 minor releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭jh79

I sort of assumed he was dead! Not seen any of his film apart from bits and pieces (arf!), maybe Film4 could stick on Blood Feast for the laugh. I bet it looks like kids telly now.

Veteran songwriter Rod Temperton has died. He's probably best known for writing the song Thriller for Michael Jackson, and didn't do much writing specifically for movies, but his original songs and score for The Color Purple were nominated for two Oscars. He also wrote Boogie Nights (used in many, many movies), and Yah Mo Be There for James Ingram and Michael McDonald - the latter's live version featuring quite prominently in The 40-Year-Old Virgin:
    I would rather... I would rather watch "Beautician and the Beast". I would rather listen to Fran Drescher for eight hours than have to listen to Michael McDonald. Nothing against him, but if I hear "Yah Mo B There" one more time, I'm going to "Yah Mo" burn this place to the ground.

• Advertisement

Michael Massee (you might not know the name but very recognisable face for his many villainous roles mostly in tv shows) has died - RIP

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0557219/

Advertisement