Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

peteeeed wrote:
    Director Nicolas Roeg, whose films include Don't Look Now and Performance, has died aged 90

Many a teenage boy will remember that swimming scene in his 1971 film Walkabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Cazale wrote: »
    Many a teenage boy will remember that swimming scene in his 1971 film Walkabout.

My first memory of ever seeing a girl naked was probably at 12 or 13, sneaking downstairs when everybody had gone to bed to watch independent/euro/arthouse films on Channel 4.
    Seeing Walkabout was an otherworldly experience, so far removed from my life up to that point, and that particular scene and its score is one of my clearest memories.

Thank you Mr. Roeg.

RIP

SFW, just the music. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,641 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

15/16 year old me fell in love with Theresa Russell & Jenny Agutter because of Nicolas Roeg.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Ricky Jay from boogie nights Has died on Saturday in Los Angeles. He was 72.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/11/r-i-p-ricky-jay/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Roeg was a true iconoclast. In addition to Walkabout, his version of The Witches is also seared in my young mind. And don't forget he was a cinematographer too. He shot large parts of Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago - before Lean fired him anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,291 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Roeg was a true iconoclast. In addition to Walkabout, his version of The Witches is also seared in my young mind. And don't forget he was a cinematographer too. He shot large parts of Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago - before Lean fired him anyway.

True.

But, I have always thought 'Don't Look Now' to be one of the most overrated pictures ever. I hate seeing it at the top of a lot of British "Best Horror Movies" lists and I suspect it is, simply because it's a British film.

I find it incredibly tedious.

In contrast, I think 'The Man Who Fell to Earth' to be one of the greatest Sci-Fi films ever made and although it's a slow burn too, it's never boring in the way 'Don't Look Now' is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I saw Ricky Jay when he attended the Dublin Film Festival a few years ago. He was a genius sleight of hand card trick player. He also told some great stories that day. He was fantastic in David Mamet and PT Anderson films.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

**** him and Burt in such a short space of time very sad RIP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Bernardo Bertolucci, director of Last Tango in Paris and The Last Emperor, has died.

Tony EH wrote: »
    True.

But, I have always thought 'Don't Look Now' to be one of the most overrated pictures ever. I hate seeing it at the top of a lot of British "Best Horror Movies" lists and I suspect it is, simply because it's a British film.

I find it incredibly tedious.

In contrast, I think 'The Man Who Fell to Earth' to be one of the greatest Sci-Fi films ever made and although it's a slow burn too, it's never boring in the way 'Don't Look Now' is.

All I’ll say is that I’ve watched Don’t Look Now twice. Once when I was (too) young and once when I was older and both times it terrified me. I find it hard to evaluate it beyond that. And I’m not someone who rates horror films on how scary they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Italian pervert dies ;)

His legacy is definitely under some modern pressure with less than savoury filming details about Last Tango now confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you're referring to Bernardo Bertolucci, he's also known for The Last Emperor, The Sheltering Sky and The Conformist - the latter of which I saw a couple of years ago and was fairly impressed by.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Yeah, I haven't seen it years, but The Conformist is brilliant. Probably his best film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Nicolas Roeg sure as hell wasn't one of the "less famous" people involved in cinema.

Nicolas Roeg sure as hell wasn't one of the "less famous" people involved in cinema.

Nor was Bertolucci and many other people discussed in this thread. We should probably change the thread title, but I don't want to discourage people from starting dedicated threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I propose 'RIP thread for people other than those who appear regularly on talkshows, in franchises and summer blockbusters that are also involved in film'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,291 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

All I’ll say is that I’ve watched Don’t Look Now twice. Once when I was (too) young and once when I was older and both times it terrified me. I find it hard to evaluate it beyond that. And I’m not someone who rates horror films on how scary they are.

Well, neither am I. But, if I'm bored by a film, then there's something wrong.

It's an ok film in parts. My objection is it's place at the top of certain lists, because there are far better films deserving it.

Anyway, we're off topic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭MfMan

Ricky Jay, actor and trained magician, on such as The Spanish Prisoner, Tomorrow Never Dies, The Prestige etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

MfMan wrote: »
    Ricky Jay, actor and trained magician, on such as The Spanish Prisoner, Tomorrow Never Dies, The Prestige etc.

He was great as the narrator in Magnolia one of my favs from PT Anderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭p to the e

MfMan wrote: »

Came across one of his shows "Ricky Jay and his 52 assistants" if anybody is interested. Starts a bit slow but once he gets going, oh mama!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Gloria Katz, Indiana Jones and Star Wars screenwriter has died at 76

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/11/gloria-katz-screenwriter-dead/

Geoff Murphy - director of such lauded classics as "Young Guns 2" and "Under Siege 2: Dark Territory" which, I'm led to believe, have a combined Oscar tally of 27. He then worked as 2nd Unit director on all three Lord of the Rings films.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Don't diss an honest journeyman.

Don't diss an honest journeyman.

Especially when announcing their passing

Being a second unit director on LOTR was no mean feat. He would have directed a significant amount of the finished films.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He also directed The Quiet Earth which is a fantastic sci-fi film https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Being a second unit director on LOTR was no mean feat. He would have directed a significant amount of the finished films.

The latter half of his career seemed to be predominantly 2nd Unit directing roles. I wonder do directors work primarily with the same 2nd Unit director on films.

I remember preferring Young Guns 2 over the first but I may need to rewatch them. Under Siege 2 was a great action flick until the last 5 minutes where he runs along the train going over a bridge.

Philip Bosco - Started his career in theatre (he's a Tony award winner) before becoming one of "those guys"; actors/actresses that you recognise immediately but just can't quite remember their name. Funny I always remember him as the detective in "Three Man and a Baby".

h1odi4y3ckmtdky.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/04/obituaries/philip-bosco-dead.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Bosco

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

p to the e wrote: »
    Philip Bosco - Started his career in theatre (he's a Tony award winner) before becoming one of "those guys"; actors/actresses that you recognise immediately but just can't quite remember their name. Funny I always remember him as the detective in "Three Man and a Baby".

h1odi4y3ckmtdky.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/04/obituaries/philip-bosco-dead.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Bosco

He will be sadly missed.

I really loved his performances in The Savages and Wonder Boys.

Little screen time. Which he always maximized.

You always remembered his performance after the movie ended.....far more so than the actors who had the benefit of a lot more scenes.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sondra Locke, star of a number of Clint Eastwoods (her former partner) movies incl The Outlaw Josie Wales and Every Which Way You Can has died aged 74. While not a traditional "beauty" she did bring a certain virtuousness to the screen, in Josie Wales particularly.

MV5BOWQzNzI4ZjktYzYwMC00MjNkLWE5YjYtZWNiNWNiNmRjNmM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk5NzQ5Ng@@._V1_UY317_CR21,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Advertisement