Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I see Alan Parker, director of Bugsy Malone, Midnight Express, Mississippi Burning, The Commitments, Evita, Fame, Birdy, Angel Heart and Angela’s Ashes among others died this morning. Some cracking movies in his catalogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wow! That's sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,134 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I see Alan Parker, director of Bugsy Malone, Midnight Express, Mississippi Burning, The Commitments, Evita, Fame, Birdy, Angel Heart and Angela’s Ashes among others died this morning. Some cracking movies in his catalogue.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what is amazing is the breadth of films he directed. From Bugsy Malone to Midnight Express and Angel Heart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

RIP

The Commitments came out in 1991.
    That was years before the Celtic Tiger, it contributed to place Ireland and Dublin on the World map as a cool and vibrant place

• Advertisement

what is amazing is the breadth of films he directed. From Bugsy Malone to Midnight Express and Angel Heart

ME and MB are two super movies. Angel Heart is dark as all fook, mad to think the same guy made a cheese fest like Bugsy Malone.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There isn't many with a better CV than Alan Parker may he rest in peace.

Wilford Brimley (Blair in The Thing among many other credits) has died aged 86.

the-thing-wilford-brimley-1188624-1280x0.jpeg

Wilford Brimley (Blair in The Thing among many other credits) has died aged 86.

Surely much more commonly known for Cocoon?

Can not believe that he was that young, in that

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

Wilford Brimley (Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, Cocoon,Ewoks: The Battle for Endor,The Waltons ) has died at 85

• Advertisement

The Thing is one of the GOAT horror movies and stars a bad ass Kurt Russell.

Cocoon is a cheesy 80s family movie and stars a horses ass Steve Guttenburg.

So no, not for me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes but Jessica Tandy and Hume Cronin were also in it and they were Hollywood royalty.

New Home wrote: »
    Yes but Jessica Tandy and Hume Cronin were also in it and they were Hollywood royalty.

Corny as it seems, now, Gutenberg was a big deal in the 80s.

It also had Brian Dennehy and made over 85 million at the box office. That's good bank today for a smaller "family film", never mind 35 years ago

New Home wrote: »

Reminded me of Batteries Not Included. Think it's time to show my kids

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Reminded me of Batteries Not Included. Think it's time to show my kids

Definitely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Corny as it seems, now, Gutenberg was a big deal in the 80s.

It also had Brian Dennehy and made over 85 million at the box office.

I quite liked Cocoon, nice feel good film. Mad to think Brimley was a bit like Clive Dunn in Dad's Army, one of the youngest in the cast but very convincing as an OAP. RIP.

The mid/late 80s were a golden age for the older actor in Hollywood, Batteries Not Included, Cocoon, Driving Miss Daisy, Tough Guys. All doing well at the box office, the grey dollar in full effect and easy watching films.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Driving Miss Daisy is one of my top 5 films.

Jessica Tandy was the kind of actor who just raised the bar of any production she was in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Skyknight wrote: »
    Wilford Brimley (Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, Cocoon,Ewoks: The Battle for Endor,The Waltons ) has died at 85

"The Thing" was the standout role for me, his limited range well suited to the paranoid chills.

RIP. Honestly though, he was so old looking in the 80s films I know him from I had kinda assumed he had already passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,134 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He looked the same for years :o I thought he was dead for a few years

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Skyknight wrote: »

Remember him as the grandfather on Our House, was on in the late eighties on Saturday evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

RIP Wilford.

He was also the coach in The Natural. A nice 80s baseball movie with Robert Redford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I thought Wilford Brimley was great in The Firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Surely much more commonly known for "Diabeetus" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,180 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    "The Thing" was the standout role for me, his limited range well suited to the paranoid chills.

RIP. Honestly though, he was so old looking in the 80s films I know him from I had kinda assumed he had already passed on.

Yeh, this is me too Pix.

I cannot believe he was only around 47 when he made 'The Thing'. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    Surely much more commonly known for "Diabeetus" :P
    RIP big guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

Reni Santoni had a few memorable roles including Callaghan's inexperienced partner in "Dirty Harry", Cobretti's more experienced partner in "Cobra" and as Poppie the unhygienic chef in Seinfeld.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reni_Santoni

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Variety reports that Sumner Redstone has died at 97: starting in his father’s exhibitions company, he grew his business to acquire first Viacom (home of MTV and other TV channels), then bought Paramount Pictures in 1993. He was CEO during their run of massively successful movies such as Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Braveheart and Titanic. As if that wasn’t enough, Viacom later bought Dreamworks SKG and CBS.

As the Variety article details, Redstone (a transliteration of Rothstein) was a controversial figure with what turned in to a bizarre private life and fights with his family over control of his assets. He is credited with the saying “content is king”.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Ben Cross has died - best known as the star of Chariots of Fire, he was also Sarek, Spock's father, in Star Trek (2009).

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah sad, love that Puttman film.

Advertisement