Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kieran Dennisons motion and Corduff parking issue

Options
  • 29-03-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I was reading over a month ago that Sinn fein attempted to prevent students from Blanchardstown IT, parking in Corduff. My sister attends the Blanchradstown IT and simply cannot afford the parking costs, so she parks safely in Corduff from Monday to Friday and walks across.

I thought it was a joke, but I have just seen this.

t9i72d.jpg

Apparently, Kieran Dennison of Fine Gael lodged a motion yesterday, to Fingal council as follows, and I was wondering what people felt about this?
    My own view is that I can park on a public street safely as long as I pay my road tax and the Gardi have confirmed that my sister is doing nothing wrong.

Have Sinn Fein gone a step too far?

45645_591761330835998_1526411191_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think that's definitely a step too far and action should be taken against whoever put up the signs. But while I have no time at all for SF, I certainly don't think that Dennison is helping things by calling them a para-military group seeing as they're considered a legitimate political party by pretty much everyone these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

An utterly shameful and despicable stunt by Sinn Fein, who at every turn betray their intimidatory nature and lawless past/present. Putting their party logo on an illegal sign says everything you need to know.

Public streets are available for parking to anyone on a first come first served basis with a properly taxed car, notwithstanding any legal parking controls or traffic markings which prevent it.

Ironically Sinn Fein would usually be the first to cry indignity if a public location was 'privatised' in any way.

Sinn Fein are apparently scratching their heads about a worse than expected showing in Meath East yesterday. Their difficulty is they honestly think voters dont perceive their duplicitous hypocrisy. Pure gangsterism.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

• Registered Users Posts: 2 D15 Head

That is where I first seen the photos ! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I hate Sinn Fein but i have to agree with them on this one. Im sure that the people living near Clonsilla train station would agree with them as well seeing the amount of cars that get dumped outside their houses everyday making it unsafe for kids to play outside their own homes because of the extra traffic by non-residents.
    I think that this is just Dennison trying to gain some support for his own political career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I hate Sinn Fein but i have to agree with them on this one. Im sure that the people living near Clonsilla train station would agree with them as well seeing the amount of cars that get dumped outside their houses everyday making it unsafe for kids to play outside their own homes because of the extra traffic by non-residents.
    I think that this is just Dennison trying to gain some support for his own political career.

Of course Dennison is, but thats the way it works, and hes going the correct way about it. If people disagree with him they will argue it out in the Council chamber.

If you hate Sinn Fein, then don't condone their variation on a 'sniper at work' sign in Corduff. I know the situation near Clonsilla station but legal parking restrictions have been brought in and extended to deal with that, the very same could be pursued in Corduff without this intimidation from Sinn Féin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The bottom line is it's a public road and any member of the public is entitled to park there, SF are trying to intimidate people who do.

As for Dennison I strongly disagree with you. The Corduff residents are in his electoral area, the students who drive to ITB are unlikely to reside in the area, therefore he is potentially alienating some of his electorate.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Of course Dennison is, but thats the way it works, and hes going the correct way about it. If people disagree with him they will argue it out in the Council chamber.

If you hate Sinn Fein, then don't condone their variation on a 'sniper at work' sign in Corduff. I know the situation near Clonsilla station but legal parking restrictions have been brought in and extended to deal with that, the very same could be pursued in Corduff without this intimidation from Sinn Féin.

I dont think its intimidation ,its just highlighting the problem and calling it a variation of the "Sniper at work" sign is a bit OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

In an area like corduff with a sign like this with sinn feins logo clearly printed for this reason underneath I'd definately feel intimidated to park there as unfortunately sinn fein isn't known for its level headed supporters.

athtrasna wrote: »
    The bottom line is it's a public road and any member of the public is entitled to park there, SF are trying to intimidate people who do.

As for Dennison I strongly disagree with you. The Corduff residents are in his electoral area, the students who drive to ITB are unlikely to reside in the area, therefore he is potentially alienating some of his electorate.

Having a go at Sinn Fein is not addressing the issue at hand though is it?
    I doubt if Sinn Fein have any issues with non residents parking anywhere in Corduff if they have a reason to be there.
    If they are going to ITB then they can park there cant they and not clog up a housing estate.
    Is Dennison in favour of Corduff become a car park ?

• Advertisement

elfy4eva wrote: »
    In an area like corduff with a sign like this with sinn feins logo clearly printed for this reason underneath I'd definately feel intimidated to park there as unfortunately sinn fein isn't known for its level headed supporters.

Personally i think that someone would be mad to abandon their car in Corduff for the day and expect all the windows to be intact when they get back.

Having a go at Sinn Fein is not addressing the issue at hand though is it?
    I doubt if Sinn Fein have any issues with non residents parking anywhere in Corduff if they have a reason to be there.
    If they are going to ITB then they can park there cant they and not clog up a housing estate.
    Is Dennison in favour of Corduff become a car park ?

ITB do not offer free parking to students and their campus is also enforced by one of the more unfavorable clamping agencies

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

While I might not agree with how they're going about it I kind of agree that this parking issue is a problem.

It's not just like people are parking in the car park at the shops, they're all over the roads. It's dangerous in places. Trying to get out onto the main road at the bottom of Sheephill Park is annoying at times even when it's just locals parked there, add another 20 cars all over the place and it's impossible. Parent's trying to pick up their kids from school can't get parked.

It has become a real issue. I don't like any political party using local issues to their own gains, as is so often the case with Sinn Fein, but I do think this particular one is an issue that needs to be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Having to pay for parking at the IT is backward and stupid, then again so is the fact it is not on a direct bus route for most of D15.

D15 Head wrote: »
    My own view is that I can park on a public street safely as long as I pay my road tax

No such thing as road tax.
    You pay motor tax.

Morag wrote: »
    Having to pay for parking at the IT is backward and stupid, then again is the fact it is not one the bus route for most of D15.

The 220, 238, 17a all go by the centre, through the village or Hartstown/Blakestown and all come within a short stroll of the IT. The 38 comes out from town.

So that's Finglas covered twice. Cabra, Phibsborough, anywhere in town, the Navan road, Castleknock, Blanch Village, Hartstown, Huntstown, Blakestown, Ladyswell, Tyrrelstown. All covered by bus routes.

Not to mention that a good portion of those are within walking distance of the IT.

ITB do not offer free parking to students and their campus is also enforced by one of the more unfavorable clamping agencies

So to save a few quid, the answer is to turn a housing estate into the collage car park?

The 220, 238, 17a all go by the centre, through the village or Hartstown/Blakestown and all come within a short stroll of the IT. The 38 comes out from town.

So that's Finglas covered twice. Cabra, Phibsborough, anywhere in town, the Navan road, Castleknock, Blanch Village, Hartstown, Huntstown, Blakestown, Ladyswell, Tyrrelstown. All covered by bus routes.

Not to mention that a good portion of those are within walking distance of the IT.

220, 238, 17a are all irregular buses, and I don't consider a bus stop to be 20-30 mins walk from the IT to be enough for the IT to be on it's bus route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

So to save a few quid, the answer is to turn a housing estate into the collage car park?

€80 for the year.

220, 238, 17a are all irregular buses, and I don't consider a bus stop to be 20-30 mins walk from the IT to be enough for the IT to be on it's bus route.

17a is every 20 minutes. Hardly irregular. Not sure where you're getting off the bus that it's taking 20-30 minutes to walk to the IT?

238, 220 and 38 all go past Corduff shops which is a short walk. 17a stops at the Aquatic centre which adds maybe 5 minutes at a slow stroll.

Even if there were no buses at all in the area it doesn't make it okay to use the housing estates as car parks.

• Advertisement

Again Direct bus route, if you get the 220 it goes around the harts down loop, then into the shopping centre, the village, the hospital then up by the Nac and then corduff shops, in all an incredibe route twisting back on it's self for easily 40 mins where there is traffic.

The 238 runs once an hour and you have to get to the shopping center to get on it, again does not service the majority of Dublin 15, the 17a does run ever 20 mins but again you have to get to the center and tbh there is nto much difference in the distance to walk from the center to the IT as it to get the 17a up the snugbourogh road and walk from there.

The 38/a will get you there but you have to go down to the village to try and catch it, and it is infrequent, so again no direct route for the majority of the Dublin 15 area.

Most of the students who do drive are coming form the far side of the city or from meath/louth/kildare were just is not the linked up transport.

Again Direct bus route, if you get the 220 it goes around the harts down loop, then into the shopping centre, the village, the hospital then up by the Nac and then corduff shops, in all an incredibe route twisting back on it's self for easily 40 mins where there is traffic.

The 238 runs once an hour and you have to get to the shopping center to get on it, again does not service the majority of Dublin 15, the 17a does run ever 20 mins but again you have to get to the center and tbh there is nto much difference in the distance to walk from the center to the IT as it to get the 17a up the snugbourogh road and walk from there.

The 38/a will get you there but you have to go down to the village to try and catch it, and it is infrequent, so again no direct route for the majority of the Dublin 15 area.

Most of the students who do drive are coming form the far side of the city or from meath/louth/kildare were just is not the linked up transport.

Your first post was about there being no direct bus for most of D15. This one seems to be about there being no direct bus route for you.

When I was at college in UCD I had to get two buses every day and it took up to 2 hours during morning and evening traffic. God forbid some of you might have to go to the centre or go a bit of an indirect route on a bus.

If student's at the IT have a problem with the bus routes they should contact Dublin Bus or ask the IT to do something about it.

As for students coming from surrounding counties, they chose to go to Blanch IT, they should have taken the transport issues into account before choosing it. Again, it's up to the IT to provide services for their students, not the local housing estates.

Don't get me wrong I do agree that it is very annoying for residents, I'm more opposed to the IT charging students for parking in the first place.

But if you were a broke student faced with either paying for a parking permit on the campus or parking on a public road for free close by. Which from what has been posted seems that they are well within their rights to do then you'll probably go with the free option.

However if somebody is parked unsafely in the estate then surely it can be reported to the Gards.

But if you were a broke student faced with either paying for a parking permit on the campus or parking on a public road for free close by. Which from what has been posted seems that they are well within their rights to do then you'll probably go with the free option.

How broke can you be if you're running a car?

How broke can you be if you're running a car?

Err broke enough to not want to pay for something when theres a free alternative nearby.

Err broke enough to not want to pay for something when theres a free alternative nearby.

There isn't a free alternative near by though. There's public roads and housing estates near by.

There isn't a free alternative near by though. There's public roads and housing estates near by.

Yea and they can park on public roads legally for free apparently. Again I don't like the fact that it happens any more than you do but it was inevitable for it to happen from the moment it was decided to charge for campus parking.

Yea and they can park on public roads legally for free apparently. Again I don't like the fact that it happens any more than you do but it was inevitable for it to happen from the moment it was decided to charge for campus parking.

Well that's up to the students to take up with the IT. Do students not protest anymore? Park your cars on the road into the IT. Refuse to move them. If they clamp them refuse to pay the fee to have them released. Can't imagine they'd be happy with their entire campus being clogged up with abandoned cars.

Well that's up to the students to take up with the IT. Do students not protest anymore? Park your cars on the road into the IT. Refuse to move them. If they clamp them refuse to pay the fee to have them released. Can't imagine they'd be happy with their entire campus being clogged up with abandoned cars.

There has been absolute stink kicked up to the college by both students and local residents from what I've heard and the only thing the college has done is to ask students not to park locally, but of course it's still going to happen if they're within their rights to do it.

If Sinn Fein really wanted to help the community they should deal with the college about this issue to help Both the students and the residents at the same time, instead of trying to scaremonger.

• Advertisement

Rochey18 wrote: »
    €80 for the year.

Nothing wrong with that.

Advertisement