Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu and Memory Errors

Options
  • 29-03-2013 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an old Dell Inspiron 630m which was starting to show its age so I replaced XP with Ubuntu 12.10 thinking it would get a new lease of life. However, it's been running really slow so I ran a memory error test from a Lubuntu disc (think it was Memtest..) and at about halfway through the test it registered thousands of errors.

I'm assuming this means that I need to replace my RAM (only 512mb installed), and this is why Ubuntu has been so slow?

Any other recommended tests to run before I go out and buy new RAM, just to be sure it is a RAM issue?

Cheers :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Not really, Memtest is the best test as it does not run on top of an OS. It's best to just replace the memory sticks, although it might be best to try some sticks first as it could be the board or even a setting wrong in the bios

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

I have found the latest Ubuntu releases to be pretty slow on old laptops. Kubuntu or Lubuntu would probably be better options for a laptop of that age.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

RodgersLFC wrote: »
    I have found the latest Ubuntu releases to be pretty slow on old laptops. Kubuntu or Lubuntu would probably be better options for a laptop of that age.

+1 for Lubuntu, Ubuntu has got very bloated over the last while,

Nick

Advertisement