Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Studying law in Uni?

• 29-03-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering what is it like to study law at university? Is it hard? What is the workload like? Did you enjoy the course? Do you think it is a good degree? You think there will be more employment opportunities in law in the future?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Snatchy

Very briefly, it's a good degree if you work your ass off. It depends on what you want to do after your degree but you will most likely need to work your ass off to get a training contract but then again nothing is easy! I did law in Galway (not Trinity or UCD!). I qualified two months ago with a big law firm in Dublin. I got a job straight away in a US law firm in London. I'm 25, I work my ass off but I get paid very well and am getting great experience. Sometimes I don't sleep.

It depends on what you want in life and in work and where you want to get to.

Nothing is easy but some things are rewarding.

You can do anything if you work ass off (I know I keep saying that but it's true)

Best of luck with your decision

Sorry for the mini rant - I realise I'm not expressing myself very articulately but I'm in a rush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

As Snatchy says, law can be tough.

The publicity about tribunals have given many the impression that you can just qualify and pick up a grand or two a day.

Not like that except for the well connected few.

Talk to people now working in law.

Numbers qualifying have multiplied beyond all reasonable demand.

I was in UCG in the fifties. Then there were only about 6 in the law class. Changed utterly since. Go figure

Also you will only as good as your last case. You will always be working your ass off.

There are easier ways of making a living

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Strong arm

Definitely look at what you want out of life - for example do you want to live the high powered exec life or fancy yourself as a country solicitor , or maybe you want to use the law degree as a stepping stone to something else . Personally I did not find the law degree difficult. As long as you turn up and study before exams you should be fine - it's a really interesting and enjoyable degree. The job of solicitor or barrister is entirely different . You should go and work for a solicitor or barrister to see if you would like it first - some people are born to it ( I love my job !) but I know many who loathe it but spent too many years and too much money on getting to where they are so they won't leave. Solicitors find it easier ( marginally) to make a living but I see many barrister colleagues struggling. It can be a difficult and negative job at times but can also be extremely rewarding.

It is very difficult to secure a training contract but they are out there - Good luck !

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There are plenty of employment ops for law grads at the moment, just not always as a practising lawyer. It is a degree that has uses in many walks if life.

Straight law (BCL) is fine but you ought to consider a joint degree like business and law. The workload for that degree is massive (~30 hours per week) but it gives options at the end.

I should clarify that doing a non-law degree is not a bar to ending up as a lawyer. In fact, having a background in another field is often very beneficial to a lawyer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

A pure law degree in nui or trinity is 10-12 hours per week, so not the most demanding schedule.

Think of it as an Arts + degree. Plenty time to chew the cud, reasonably interesting subjects and at the end of the day it is as good if not a better general qualification than arts and has the additional benefit of being of some benefit in getting a job as a lawyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Benbulnen64

Nuac there are easier ways of making a living, yes. I enjoyed the challenge of doing a law degree ( mature age) did Honours on a topic that really interested me and although it can be both physically and mentally tiring working in the law, I also find it really rewarding.

PS You forgot The terrible beauty being born after the changed utterly!

Advertisement