Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiroom

Options
  • 29-03-2013 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Some weeks ago I discontinued multiroom with Sky - I now live alone. They said I could keep the box as by now I had it paid for. I did not disconnect it physically and when Sky eventually discontinued the multiroom service I was surprised to find that I am continuing to receive Sky News, BBC 1,2,3 & 4 and a few other second rate channels but no RTE channels. I find this curious :confused:as RTE is a public service broadcaster like BBC. Any comments?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

What your picking up is the free to air channels from astra 28.2. None of the Irish channels are fta on this satellite. You'll need to hook up a saorview box or use a saorview compatible tv to an ariel to get the Irish stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mystified

Thanks for that. I still have Sky+ box downstairs and tried to connect to bedroom using the magic eye gadget and the old tv house cabling but did not succeed. Is that old brown coaxial cable suitable for that job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

Have you connected the cable for the magic eye to RF2 and switched on the RF power?

Have you connected the cable for the magic eye to RF2 and switched on the RF power?

yes but I had to make a couple of connections. I think I read somewhere that you need a straight run cable between the RF2 and the magic eye.

You can have connections but make sure none of the outer braiding on the cable touched the inner core on the connections, even just one strand will cause a power short. Also if you are using wall plates it is a good idea to remove these and join the cable because some don't allow the 9v to pass. Are you getting a picture when you tune the TV?

• Advertisement

You can have connections but make sure none of the outer braiding on the cable touched the inner core on the connections, even just one strand will cause a power short. Also if you are using wall plates it is a good idea to remove these and join the cable because some don't allow the 9v to pass. Are you getting a picture when you tune the TV?

I will have to check those connections. The magic eye does not show a red light when remote used. No picture on tuning

There should be a picture anyway even if the 9v isn't passing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Mystified wrote: »
    Is that old brown coaxial cable suitable for that job?

Sometimes but you ought to use double-screened ("satellite") coaxial cable to minimise the risk of interference and intermittent operation. Try it but if you get "grainy pictures" or intermittent remote operation, you might need to change it.

But right now it seems that you have either a short-circuit or an open-circuit and/or you didn't tune in Sky's analogue RF channel on your TV.

Advertisement