Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old super 8mm or vhs footage of athenry

Options
  • 29-03-2013 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to compile a film (instalation) to screen during our Gathering in Athenry 2013. I'm just putting a 'shout' out to anyone who has some old footage they may be willing to lend me. I want to put it all on disc (and obviously give a copy to all who send me material) and screen it on a loop for a number of hours on the morning of our Gathering in August. I'd love to hear from you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

There used to be a deflector system which provided UK television stations to Loughrea and surrounding areas in the 1990s (and prior to that, not sure how far out the signal spread). One Friday night, I remember wanting to watch a show on ITV, only for it to be pre-empted by a locally made show which I believe was all made in Athenry, and involved interviews with locals etc. This would have been circa 1994 direction. I didn't watch lots of it, so I can't remember anything more, or even if it's of use, but there was surely bound to be footage of the town at that time in the program. How you would get it... Goodness only knows, but I hope that's of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

The film you speak was of August 15th which I think is called Ladys day at the holy well in Athenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Thanks for that. Yes, some folk have footage of lady's day c1975 I think. I might be able to get my hands on it. I think its two or three mins of footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Kevin Ryan (Ryan's Cobblers) had a video for sale in the shop a few years back of footage from around Athenry. Not sure what the year of the footage is, maybe 1990's, but I'm sure he would still have a copy.
    If your stuck you could always use the few mins of action from the film Flight of the Doves ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 houbie

Hi

Do You know a man called Gerry Ahern.. if your pat of the Athenry council you may know him already. He may be able to steer you in the right direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 houbie

There is also a guy ... im not sure of his name.. he lives close to the library. when i was growing up i remember him filming everything.. he may have some old footage

houbie wrote: »
    There is also a guy ... im not sure of his name.. he lives close to the library. when i was growing up i remember him filming everything.. he may have some old footage

I think I know who your talking about. He lived on Clarke street and ran the cinema next door. If I could it'd be a gold mine of footage. I gather he's still alive, however, I believe he's completely incapacitated, in a home and I don't think I'll be able to access his footage, at this time. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 45 heinze

Hi Greaney, Yes Mr Murphy on Clarke street would have a lot of footage of the town, its a pity its not available, I always remember him about the town with a camera from the late 80s until lately.

I believe Jim Kelly used to take a lot of footage around the town and could have a lot of material. Tracey Kelly his daughter, involved in the Musical Society might be able to help.

The DVD in ryans shoe shop is from circa 1992, im sure Kevin in there might be able to source some more footage for you aswell.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Heinze, you've been a goldmine :D

Advertisement